Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 01:44AM

Things the public should know that they don't and really would have a hard time knowing without having been in the church. These are PRACTICAL things, not doctrinal. These things would alienate most Americans about the church.

1. Part-member families and marriages where only one spouse is Mormon are often stressful and at great risk of divorce. If you leave the church you can realistically lose your family and be alienated from your loved ones who are still Mormon.

2. Church members have to put up with regularly scheduled intrusive interviewing from a young age and for the rest of their lives. The interviews are connected to whether they have committed any sins, including masturbation and having paid an "honest tithe," or if they have investigated alternative views about the church.

3. Church members are indoctrinated to view obedience as a primary value. And they are taught from a young age to "follow the prophet." There's even a catchy church song with that title that the children learn and every member knows.

4. There is an elitism built into the church culture based on one's ancestry and how far back it goes to "pioneer" days or the founders of the church. If you are fifth generation Mormon you are more likely to be viewed favorably, or with reverence, by other Mormons than if you are a first generation convert.

5. The church promotes a hero worship view of its leadership. Church leaders speak with the authority of God. Questioning of church leaders is greatly discouraged. (Protestants would have a hard time with this one.)

6. If you are not deemed Temple worthy or you are not a member of the church, you may not enter to witness your Mormon child's wedding "sealing." You have to wait outside while strangers witness your child's actual marriage vows. The Mormons will allow that you can attend a nice reception and maybe a ring exchange if the Bishop allows it.

7. Families have to pay about $400.00 a month to send a child, usually a son, on an 18-24 month "mission," often but not always to a foreign country. The child will be thoroughly indoctrinated during this time, both at the Missionary Training Center and while on his or her mission. During the often two year period the young person will only be allowed to be alone when attending to personal hygiene.

8. Mormons who drink alcohol or tea or coffee or who smoke or use tobacco (or who otherwise fail their "worthiness" interviews) are not "worthy" to enter the Temple or hold significant "callings" or positions of authority in the church. They are considered second-class citizens by other, presumably more "righteous" Mormons.

Any others?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 08:36PM by derrida.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 02:51AM

Regarding #7. I was left alone quite a bit. Well, frankly I am an independant person and would not hesitate to tell my comp to fuck off.

Hey, I paid my own way.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 03:54AM

and his heavenly father was also once a man, and so on. So that means there are multiple Gods.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 04:54AM

Everything on your list could come from the old Soviet nomenklatura system, North Korea, or "Animal Farm"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 06:11AM

The non-members I've met tend to be appalled by dead dunking, the doctrine that single women aren't allowed in heaven, that mormons believe in preexistence where everyone was judged and pegged for life. They are also shocked that mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are siblings and that there will be polygamy for eternity.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 06:13AM

I don't think baptism for the dead is *very well known* outside of the church.
In my own experience, even people who use the church genealogical facilities are not clear *exactly* why the church collects genealogical info.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 06:49AM

I think being touched in private places by a stranger when you are wearing nothing but underwear without being told in advance that this was going to happen - might cause one or two members of the public to be bothered.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 07:33AM

Facial hair of any kind is a social stigma. Most members, particularly those in category #4, will assume that it is an outward sign of your inner unworthness.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 08:57AM

which continues to this day, people would consider #2 a crime.

because it is.

but what would outrage the general public is that that the interviews happen with the parents' full knowledge and consent.

and that is some fucked up shit!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 05:15PM

Yup, parental consent to cross boundaries waaaaay too far.

A good mormon has no idea why this would be an issue because their parents allowed it too.
Hell, their parents were briefly told to refrain from oral sex. And countless numbers still think that's the word of god. Or the prophet. Or something bogus like that.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 13, 2011 01:22PM

Posted by: littledebbie1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:16PM

*What about the underware?! Obedience down to the very underware you have on.
*And there is no disclosure to members about how the church spends the required tithe. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch.
*Oh. And there is also a 'heavenly mother' but nobody is allowed to talk about her.
* The highest degree of "heaven" for women is living in a polygamist relationship and eternal pregnancy. And getting 'in' requires your husband to call you by your temple-given name.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 03:31PM

is gonna get a smack down!

Jus sayin.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:27PM

I would LOVE to have someone from the media ask Romney and Huntsman if they really truly believe that there are three indians that have been roaming the earth since the time of Christ.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:28PM

Bill Maher was on Rachel Maddow's show last night to discuss Mitt Romney and the cult bru-hah-hah.

Maher was hilarious, basically he said, "Mormons are not Christians, but they do take the silliness of religion to a whole new level, magic underwear, you get your own planet, ...". Or something pretty much like that!

Honestly though, I can see the Mormon storm blowing over. I can see a straight shot for the Mittster towards the republicorp nomination. Then in the general election, he will probably be the favorite. I don't think if he is elected that there will be a bunch of scrutiny on the church. It will become old news. Not enough curiosity outside of ex-Mormons and Mormons.

Posted by: Deco ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:30PM

When this thing gets dirty, and we all know it will, one of MR opponents will quietly have an accomplice publicize some of BYs Journal of Discourses regarding African Americans. This will be unfixable.

MR and a host of LDS candidates for lower offices will be forever out of the politics game at that time.

I honestly cannot believe LDS Inc has not talked MR into quietly stopping his run. The LDS thing is what his opponents will go after as it will have the best sound bites. Damaging history will be brought up that will be impossible for the church to spin.

As this thing heats up, unfixable damage will be done to the churches reputation. GBH would have handled this quietly before it gets unstoppable.

The current administration either does not have a good grasp of PR or is simply too senile to know better.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:39PM

# (?): ALL meaningful decisions are made in SLC; While ChurchCo 'appears' to promote personal growth, learning, etc, it's Very Much a Simon Says operation.

locals MIGHT get to pick the color scheme in a new chapel (from a limited list); that's about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 12:40PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 12:44PM

How many non-cult churches would act like their members OWE them 10% of their income, set an appointment to determine if they paid what was due, and then categorize them (with a worthiness judgement) as full-tithepayers or part-tithepayers?

Posted by: Deco ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 01:24PM

I am also unsure of MRs leadership callings, however, i am guessing an opponent will get their hands on a Church Handbook of Instruction and will ask MR if he followed the instructions and personally interrogated kids on their masturbation habits/techniques.

Another religion comes to die at the hands of the internet.

Date: October 12, 2011 02:58PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 04:02PM

Posted by: Here's One ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 04:08PM

Curse of Cain is black skin. LDS are really the only religion that thinks this.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 05:42PM

Once you donate your 10% or more it goes into a black hole in Salt Lake City. Members are not allowed to ask for an accounting of how donations are spent or what amounts go into what funds. A general statement is made that says the monies go into buildings, teaching, missionary work, etc. but no proof is given to any of this.

No sane person would give to any charitable organization without and accounting of how and where donations are spent yet LDS Inc. asks members to simply "trust the priesthood".

Posted by: nevermodave ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 07:11PM

I was raised Christian and when I finally decided it wasn’t working for me I stopped going to church and that was that. I may have a couple scars from the way I was treated but in the end, I’m hardly any worse for wear. Having never been a mormon what I found most alarming was the fact there is a genuine need for a support community put together by ex-members. The fact that being a part of and exiting the church could be so psychologically, emotionally and socially destructive to so many that a support community is not only warranted but desperately needed for some speaks more loudly than some phony-baloney prophet ever could.

Another thing that creeps me out is the folded-arm-praying… I can’t really explain why, it just seems to make my skin crawl when thinking about it. I think it's because... I got nothing, it just does.

Date: October 12, 2011 08:00PM

it really is facinating.

and the coffin crossing praying. yep. it's all just so

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 08:29PM

Because I stopped believing at such a young age, it definitely was very practical things that made me finally leave the cult. Here is a small, partial list -

1) This bullshit about women not being allowed to wear pants at church.
2) Having to answer to a man when I was in Primary 'leadership'.
4) Spying on members through HT/VT.
5) Gossiping about members in leadership meetings.
6) Thinking that even the Primary program was taking a back seat to Mo-'Scouting'.
7) Prop 22 in 2000 - precursor to Prop 8
8) Coffee, Tea, & Caffeinated soft drinks - I had known this was bullshit since I was at least 6 years old. I know many do drink caffeinated soft drinks now, but there are still many who don't.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 08:32PM

I posted my list here in the comments section of Kathleen Parker's Washington Times Op-ed piece: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-shameful-bias-against-mormons/2011/10/12/gIQAR5WVfL_allComments.html?ctab=all_&#comments.

I urge all concerned to go there and "recommend" any posts in the comments that you feel are worth being listed in the top 35, i.e., to be included in the list of comments that will be the ones most read by most readers.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 08:59PM

"Modesty" BS being laid on little girls....that fluff about "Hanna's New Dress" was disgusting.

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: October 13, 2011 01:10PM

What exactly is this about "Hanna's New Dress"? I've never heard this particular faith-promoting rumour. Is there a link or some sort of synopsis you can post?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 12, 2011 09:31PM

I sometimes wonder if BYU's pariah status is because of what Brigham Young taught... and what he did. Wouldn't mainstreaming include getting rid of him and his name? A major university, named after a man most recognized as a polygamist. If one digs deeper -- danites, Adam-God, God and Mary sex, racism... etc.

Date: October 13, 2011 01:14PM

at the helm of ChurchCo during the MMM AND the cover-up.

it took until Juanita Brooks for it to unravel (1st edition 1950, almost 100 years later);

long may HER NAME live on the lips of those who Love the Truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 01:15PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: October 13, 2011 08:36PM

Temple ceremony--clothes, handshakes, cult-like
3 hour Sundays
Tithing
So controlling
Word of Wisdom
too many strange ideas and people
Only true church
Our way or the highway
Obsessed with sex
"Dress code"
No coffee???

Date: October 13, 2011 09:02PM

the Rank superficiality...this results in an almost Complete disconnect between the priorities of Mormonism (outward appearances) and their 'Eternal' goals:

What reasonable person could possibly imagine... much less see a connection between earrings and your 'Eternal Progression'?

makes my Head Spin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 11:43PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.