Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dan McKenzie ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 06:25AM

A great big THANK YOU to all those in the military who served, are serving, and those who paid the ultimate price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 06:43AM

We observed a 2 minute silence at 11.00am. I am next to a window looking on a busy london street and was gratified to see 3 taxis pull over and stop for the 2 minute silence. one or two people stopped, although most people carried on walking - maybe unaware of the exact time. Although traffic carried on flowing, it did seem to be 'lessened' for the 2 minute period.
I thought about my Dad who was at El Alamain, and later in the invasion of Italy. Luckily for me, he survived (I was born in 1960.... so it would have been awkward otherwise :-) and was laid to rest of a heart attack in 1999.

to echo Dan's sentiment: A great big THANK YOU to all those in the military who served, are serving, and those who paid the ultimate price.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:39AM

That two min. silent thing is really cool. Glad you got to see that. Am sure this will be a day of reflection for all.

And did you know there are 80 weddings at just one place today in Vegas. Guess they do it every 15 or 20 min. Wild!!!Can't imagine how many there are all over the city. It's the date they wanted so they get their wish.

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 07:45AM

A very touching song written by Eric Bogle showing the futility of war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqTGas3kwQU

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 01:07PM

I wish words could express how grateful I am. All the WWI vets are gone now--their war is almost forgotten. But here is another song about their experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=P4hI-3nqwn8

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 07:56AM

We just did the same here in Belgium. France does it in some places, Poland did it when I lived there, too.

I don't like empty symbols and I don't believe in "My country, right or wrong." But I do believe honoring those who serve and honor what they believe in. I believe in honoring their sacrifice.

On FB every day this week, I named and put the service info of all my relatives. Cousin, second cousin, uncles, great uncle, grandpa, father in law. WWII (one was a silver star recipient, posthumously); Vietnam, WWII, Korea, Gulf War I & II. Navy, Air Force, Army. Can't brag about having any marines in the family, though.

I can't brag about any of it, because I never served.

But I can be proud of it, and thank each of them for their service.

How many here have served? Go ahead and brag about it here. I think you deserve to.

A partial roll call:

YNCM David Coleman, US Navy; service in Vietnam. 25 year career in the service afterward. Buried at Arlington Nat'l.

S/Sgt Joe Zingaro, US Army, KIA during WWII at the age of 25. Buried at Gettysburg Nat'l. Silver Star.

1st Sgt William Eisenman, WWII; service in Phillipines (he helped liberate it) and Occupied Japan. My grandpa. And still kickin' it like the tough old bastard he is, at the age of 96!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 08:00AM by bookratt.

Date: November 11, 2011 11:42AM

Was a military wife from '73- '93. Ex served as a pilot in
the AF. Well, you know what they say about pilots. That was the case for me and I am proud of his service but also proud to not have him as my spouse any longer. I am not perfect but I do have character. Even those who serve slip up at times. Twice was it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 11:50AM by honestone.

Posted by: Sky ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 08:24AM

I take my handle "Sky" from my years as a chaplain in the Navy and Marine Corps. I never did anything noteworthy or famous, but I want to say that I was deeply moved by the self-sacrifice, discipline, and generosity of the young men and women with whom I served. When you see someone in uniform, or meet a veteran, please thank them for what they have done. Believe me, it really means a lot. They are very conscious that of all the lines of work they could choose, theirs is the only one where they can be sent to danger and death in order to do their jobs.

Date: November 11, 2011 11:36AM

So true and thanks for your service Sky. Also want to honor my Mom's first husband, killed in a plane in WW11 and there is a memorial for those fallen men in Italy that we just found out about.My broher was 8 wks. old when his DAD died but my dad then raised him. Also want to thank my DAD who served in the pacific during WW11 and all the men/women who serve now. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 08:33AM

Date: November 11, 2011 08:47AM

If you asked any of my relatives who served, if they did anything noteworthy or that would make them famous, I'd like to think they'd all say, "No, but I knew good people who did. They're the ones who never made it home."

Didn't Major Dick Winters, may he rest in peace, say something like that about heroes, too? He told his grandkids when they asked him if he was a hero, that he wasn't one--but he served with other good men who were.

You sound like one of the good ones, Sky. Thank you for your service.

Whenever we fly commerical, there are always kids, and I can say kids because I am twice or more older than they, in uniform on our flights. Or in our waiting area waiting for the next one.

If we're on board with them, we always buy them some food or drinks, or magazines or a latte if we're near where we can get those. Our son insists on it (he's 8), and he hand delivers them to these brave men and women himself.

I always remember my uncles Tommy and David, and my cousin Timmy saying that they never had any ready money. And with a decent cup of regular coffee costing 5 Euro+ here, every little bit helps.

So if you're in Europe and you see what appears to be a hungry soldier paying really close attention to their fingernails to avoid having to look at you while you eat your fast food, please offer to buy them something, or share with them. On board, but them a sandwich or drink if it's one of those where yu have to pay even to get pretzels.

My husband once gave up his seat in First Class to a soldier. But he wouldn't take it--he gave it to a very pregnant passenger stuck back in coach next to him, a total stranger, instead.

I don't love war, but I love my soldiers!

Date: November 11, 2011 11:48AM

Thanks for mentioning Dick Winters. Yes, he did say that. What a honorable man.

Many of us have had relatives who served in WW1 and WW11. They didn't talk about their service because they did not think of their service as something to get kudos for. They just did their job and we all can be proud they did. My one uncle nearly lost half his toes in the cold in Europe in WW11. There is so much about these heroes they never talked about but the stories would amaze us all.

Remember our soldiers in good deeds you do, in donations given and in cards and packages. You will feel so good about it if you do. My daughter can even hook you up with an individual soldier to write to.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 08:51AM

Thank you for remembering those who served and those who serve.

US Navy, 1979-84

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:07AM

Much appreciated. my own TBM DH is on overseas deployment right now. I sure miss him. :-(

Date: November 11, 2011 10:29AM

You can do this, too: Tell the stews on your flight to bring the bill for any optional food/drink for any service person on board in uniform, to you. They'll do it, gladly; and you can do this quietly, settling up with them in the prep area at the back of the plane to remain anonymous if you like.

Someday my kid may be in the military. Who knows? I'd like to think that any mom would do this sort of thing for any other mother's kid.

BTW, most officers will decline your kindnesses, offering them up to the men and women in their command on board with them. As it should be. But make the offer anyway.

They usually can't take an alcoholic drink off you (because they're in uniform and though off base may still be on duty, I think is the reasoning), but they definitely do appreciate even the smallest offers/kindnesses, even when not able to accept them.

Our men and women in uniform are a pretty good bunch. I wish I could do more.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:38AM

Thanks to ALL who served and answered when the bell rang.

Posted by: Matt nli etc ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:10AM

I lost my two Great Uncles in WW1. They were never found.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:13AM

As a child who lived through WW2 in London I have very distinct memories of the war. I have nothing but profound respect for all those who have served, no matter where, and for those who gave everything. Not for me the flag waving and overt patriotism of the day ...all to me suggestive of the glory of war rather than its horror, waste and tragedy. My mind will be on the grave of a cousin, which I visited last year, lying in Brouay, France, killed in 1944 in the assault on Caen, and the row upon row of white crosses marking the graves of American soldiers buried by Omaha Beach.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:19AM

US Army 1988-1992.

And thank you to all who served before and with me, and continue to serve today.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:20AM

+1000

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 01:39PM

In memory of Master Corporal Byron Greff 1983-2011, who was laid to rest in Lacombe, Alberta last Monday, our 158th casualty in Afghanistan.

JC, Canadian Army, 1977-2003

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 01:49PM

Memories of an uncle who served in WW2 died from injuries 4 years after the war,left 2 young children and a widow,my late father in law who served also in WW2 and came home safely,and my wonderful husband who served in northern ireland at the height of the troubles on 4 terms,and special memories of his friend Tony shot and killed in northern ireland 1975,my darling son served in bosnia and came home safely,thoughts are with all who suffer from war and conflict whatever the nationality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.