Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 11:25PM

My nevermo bf works at a library in Central Jersey & knows that in the past year I've been interested in reading about the lds & flds so he checks them out for me. He messaged me a few minutes ago telling me that the library received a book from the flds. I figured it was about the flds & asked who the author was & he said the flds. He said the writing was way weird & it's def about jeffs...sermons perhaps? I'm super intrigued. He has it in his office and is going to let me look at it tomorrow night, before it goes out into circulation. I'll check it out& report back tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LibrariAnon ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:31PM

I am librarian at a small university in Austria.

In november we too got this ominous "Proclamation". I took it home and stored it safely between my Watchtowers and my copy of Dianetics.

Everytime I felt bad for not being able to master your grammar, I read a page of Jeffs' writing to reassure myself that even god seems to have his problems with it.

Since then, FLDS has been sending us nine or more letters...
(To Europe! Via Airmail!)

On the envelope they all say "RELIGIOUS MATERIALS ENCLOSED".

Today one letter included a color copy of half a page of Warren's insights – in his own near-illegible scrawl.
Maybe the wardens took away his typewriter...

Date: January 11, 2012 01:44PM

Wow... I guess they're spreading their nonsense world wide. It's intriguing because, I kid you not, my boyfried texts me about once a week telling me, "We got more FLDS crap in the mail this morning."

Sounds to me like the Warren Jeffs is losing his marbles. According to that blog/ video clip below, the leaders are getting supper extreme thanks to Warren's crazy rants that he's been sending out to the masses.

http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/flds-community-said-to-be-purging.html

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:16PM

LibrariAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Everytime I felt bad for not being able to master
> your grammar, I read a page of Jeffs' writing to
> reassure myself that even god seems to have his
> problems with it.
>
Too Funny! I like that too.

Plus God is always saying things in the most convoluted messed up sort of ways because, you know, he wouldn't sound so great and mysterious if he just said things straight out.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 02:48AM

Interesting!

Date: November 19, 2011 09:09AM

I tried to post just now I got a message saying it has to be approved by the moderator b/c it might be spam.

Anyway I had a sentence cut off when I was posting. The book is plain &the white. Looks more like a workbook &the the spine just reads Proclamation. Get it from your library... don't buy it as it looks like the $cars will just go back to the flds. (Regardless, here's the isbn # 193727103-x . isbn-13 # 978-1-937271-03-9

Ok... I finally got my original message to post below!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 09:15AM by Virg.

Date: November 19, 2011 09:11AM

Sorry for the typos! I'm on my phone &the it auto completes & corrects the most random things.

Date: November 19, 2011 09:13AM

So the book is legit. It'sa most definitely from theflds. It's titled Proclamation- Proclamation of son ahman, even jesus christ,to all peoples of the earth, even my holy will to warn all of my judgement upon all peoples. Its all sermons and background info about the flds.... "testimonies of the prophets" from the jod, bom, etc. Starts with joseph smith &the what they believe in (among them celestial marriage)... then goes prophet by prophet ending with warren jeffs. Each chapter is broken down in scripture format (verses) in bom style language. Best part is that its all dated from the time he's been in jail (ex: jeffs had a revelation 7/28/11).

Bf had so many questions... like how did these people get so brainwashed. Well it didn't happen overnight, it took decades. He made it clear he's disgusted that they have $ to send out this book to public libraries while they collect welfare checks.

If any one is interested in checking out the book, go to your local library in the next few weeks. Its a plain white softcover book.... looks more like a workbook. I wouldn't buy it as it seems like it might be going towards warrens pockets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 09:15AM by Virg.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 10:18AM

Libraries don't necessarily put into circulation every book that is donated. My local library system hardly ever does that. Instead, most donated books are offered for sale in the lobby. Some are thrown out. It is understood that if you donate a book to the library, the library may dispose of it as it pleases.

I would be very surprised if this particular book is put into circulation, as it sounds like propaganda and not an objective account. But perhaps other library systems have different standards for the materials that they put into their collections.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 02:06PM

they had something like this in the salt lake tribune a couple of months ago but i couldn't get past the first paragraph

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 09:30AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 12:07PM by Cheryl.

Date: November 19, 2011 12:08PM

Who knows. My guess is yes. I asked again &he said its definitely not gonna go into circulation so I guess I get to keep that book lol. My bf's dad is baptist &the he skimmed it Thursday night & was pretty much disgusted. The first 3day chapters are almost like a history of the lds/flds up to john Taylor. It's so bizarre.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 12:19PM

That's when the split started but for quite some time after that they still intermingled and shared the temple facilities, other resouces and leadership.

Posted by: LLibrary ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 02:36PM

We got this publication today. I haven't opened it yet, but from what I am reading it will not be circulated.

Date: December 09, 2011 04:35PM

The blog below has info about the publication mentioned a few weeks ago.

http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/warren-jeffs-batty-new-writings-from.html#comment-form

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:57PM

The end of the world prophecy thing is really getting boring. He could at least spice it up with a some wacky doctrines. Or maybe he did. I couldn't get through the first page. Please God, just destroy the whole world already and stop talking about it.

Date: December 28, 2011 11:34AM

FYI: The FLDS have been sending pamphlets & various writings to the library every week for the past 3 or 4 weeks. They are totally nuts!

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:01PM

Since we're a Utah library, we've elected to keep them in our collection. We already have two that came last fall:

Continued warnings of son Ahman to the leaders of the nations of the earth. Hildale, Utah : Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, c2011. (163 p.)

Warning of the Lord Jesus Christ through his servant Warren Jeffs, to the United States of America : warning of the Lord Jesus Christ to all nations ; Policies and general principles of the government of son Ahman in the kingdom of Ahman. Hildale, Utah : Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, c2010. (42 p.)

What a load...

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:11AM

It's gibberish. I shudder when I think that someone that incoherent was put in charge of educating children.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 09:49AM

It makes me wonder if this is what the current $5,000 family assessment is for -- disseminating this gibberish worldwide.

Posted by: grengren ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:19AM

Hello,
Just to share the information : i work in a french library (in a town of 65 000 inhabitants) and we also received 12 letters or packages from this group since 3 months.

Swiss libraries also :
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.culture.libraries.swiss-lib/682

At least these people believe in the power of libraries ;-p

David

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:51PM

Did your library put the material into circulation?

Posted by: Jonas ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 09:19AM

Holland here. We're receiving the same letters more and more often. The trashcan's never been happier.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 10:39AM

Who'd have guessed we have so many foreign librarians lurking!

Please keep us up to date.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 10:57AM

When it is stamped "religious material enclosed" on the envelope, does that get the sender a tax break--or free postage?

ie: franking privileges of our elected US officials, or similar?

Why mark it as a religious mailing, otherwise? Does that help it get past some sorting practice or safety thing in place for other sorts of mail? It shouldn't.

I am going to be really mad if my US taxes paid for, or in some way subsidized, the printing or mailing of that crap.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:01PM

Your tax dollars support every single church and charity in the country and many times even those based elsewhere in the world. A tax deduction lowers the tax base which ultimately affects the tax rates. Don't forget local tax exemptions too. Since they don't pay property taxes, your rate is higher.

And yep, I just checked. Non-profit postage rates are 40% lower than normal rates. One of the requirements is that the mailing identify the organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2012 12:06PM by onendagus.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 12:21PM

Or you can buy them all here for a few dollars.

Proclamation to the Nation 2010-07-17 ISBN-13: 978-1-937271-01-5 and more:

https://www.flds.org/

There's something amusing about them having ISBN numbers.

Posted by: alex71ut (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 06:42PM

I'm guessing that the FLDSers crave acceptance just as much as the LDSers do. They're just a couple generations behind the LDSers in adapting to modern society. So give them time and they'll likely adapt too. Perhaps they view that having these ISBN numbers shows that they are relevant and a force to reckon with. I bet if they had their own FARMS (lets call it fundie-Maxwell-Institute) then they'd be spewing out wondrous theology from their own equivalent of DCP explaining how wondrously mainstream they've become. Nevertheless in the meantime they're wacko.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 03:32PM

Some commenter at the article link provided wondering if the FLDS were thinning the fold to make the remaining group into soldiers for the cause to carry out destructive things. Or maybe to give those remaining faithful the poison koolaide to avoid humankind's pending doom as foretold by their prophet. Since Warren Jeff's is never getting out of prison he doesn't think his followers should be happy either, nor their children. If he is doomed to prison, they are doomed. Just a thought.

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:21AM

Even here in Germany (Berlin). I noticed an envelope with the label "religious matters enclosed" in a postroom of the University I work at. It was for the art history dept. I asked the librarian and he gave me an envelope of many other pamphlets the flds had sent to him in the past two years. He had no clue why he got them nor did he bother to study them. I only glimpsed at the content - its quite wacko.

Posted by: Farmer ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 04:20PM

Have received many mailings from FLDS over the last year. All went into the trash. Just got a hardbound book titled Jesus Christ Message to all nations. Delivered FedEx. Will NOT go on the shelf at this public school library in Idaho.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.