Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 03:16PM

ChurchCo explains that members should be taught "milk before meat". From what I observed during my 40 plus years in the Church, the "milk" was the correlated material inculcated to the members. I don't remember EVER being taught anything considered by the Church to be "meat".

Perhaps I missed something. Can anyone help me out? What does the Corporation teach or even claim to be the "meat"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moe32898 ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 03:38PM

Well, other people may have different opinions on this, but "milk" is relatively mild doctrine, whereas meat is the more serious/controversial doctrine. Here's an easy way to think of it: "milk" is what you're taught in Primary, "meat" is the new doctrine that is taught later, say, in YW/YM.

I think the most obvious is "Love One Another" as milk, and the endowment ceremony as meat. You certainly, as a missionary, would not want to teach a prospective about the meat first. It would scare them the hell away.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 03:48PM

I interpret the whole "milk before the meat" thing this way.

MILK: Tell them all the cutesy fun stuff, smile a lot and promise the moon.

MEAT: Tell 'em nothing. Just get them a calling quick, to take their mind off things.

I never saw the meat until I left. It always sounded too good to be true-- funny thing about that.

Others saw the meat while in and then left because of it.

Still others saw the meat and stayed, keeping their mormon colored glasses on and insisting the meat is a beautiful roast with gravy while holding their noses so they don't have to smell the rotten mess it has become.

And they never "teach" the meat. You kind of have to wheedle it out of them. They then place it on a very lovely doily for you, but...

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 03:51PM

I think of "meat" as being the doctrines that are denied in public. For instance, enternal progression. Stuff that is not taught to investigators and might be denied when asked in a major television interview.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 05:23PM

Yeah, I remembered being told that milk was wath you learned in church and meat was what you learned in your personal study.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:47PM

No wonder I only attend SM so I can go home and learn the REAL meat.

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 05:35PM

I always thought the "milk" was that which was easy for someone to ingest ("Love One Another," "Families Are Forever") and the "meat" was that which was more difficult to swallow (Kolob, magic garments, polygamy in the afterlife, etc.). It's a standard cult practice. Very deceptive and dishonest, but very effective in recruitment. Once the member has more invested in the group and has made connections and friendships with other members, then they are much more likely to nod their head when they hear the "meat."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:03PM

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 06:39PM

Very similar to you except after 25 years-- I was not satisified with milk .. I went out deliberately hunting for meat --Guess what - I found more meat than in a herd of buffalo.

So I asked them to taste what meat I had found and identify it for me. Not only the local church leaders, but also the friends in my stake. Big Mistake -- Boyd K and the "Big 15" got wind of it and promptly execommunicated me and numerous others.

I never did get a *PLEASE COME BACK INVITATION*

JB

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 01:24PM

In detail, I mean. Who, what, how, etc. It sounds very damning for Mormonism.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:07PM

The milk is whatever wouldn't offend an average nonmo onlooker. They lie about everything else until someone is baptized and indoctrinated evough to accept crazy doctrine like what happens in the temple and eternal polygamy.

It's deceitful (lying) to sidestep issues that questioners would want to know if they had the power to dig in and find answers.

No one lies to babies about the existence of adults eating meat. But mormons deceive investigators about the existence of offensive and weird practices and beliefs.

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:11PM

I think I wound up with Mad Cow Disease from ChurchCo's butcher shop of doctrinal meat...

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 18, 2011 07:21PM

The "meat" of mormonism is all the stuff they don't tell you. It works like this....

All you get is milk, and one day you come across some "meat" and sample it.....lets say some of BY's horrible preaching in the JofD or the fact that JS married teenagers and other mens wives......at which point you begin choking on the meat because it is so much different than the milk.

A TBM figures they just have a mormon meat intolerance, so they just avoid any of that "meat" in the future. Its not the meats fault, its their fault for not being able to properly eat it without choking on it.

A TBM with some critical thinking skills and integrity realizes that the meat is actually tainted and will poison you if you eat it....so they leave the dinner party and don't come back.

The church doesn't serve any meat because too many mormons would leave the dinner party.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 10:34AM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 01:20PM

Members and outsiders were accusing the church and expecially the missionaries of deceit.

So someone in a talk said no, it isn't deceitful to withhold information until the listener is ready accept it. It's like keeping meat away from babies who can only digest meat. The phrase soothed sensibilities and caught on.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 08:38AM

new testament, paul, as a metaphor for teaching new converts, then LDS inc took it from there in the LDS blindsiding scam program.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 10:53AM

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 02:46PM

I don't believe "meat" is currently taught anywhere in the 3-hour block or CES programmes.

Everything the missionaries teach, everything taught in primary, YM/YW, Sunday School, PH (even High Priests), RS etc is MILK!

The correlation programme wasn't about teaching milk *before* meat, it was about teaching milk *and not* meat! Everything considered meat was taken away. Books that containing significant proportions of meat were discouraged (if not outright banned)

There is only one place in the church were "meat" is taught, and that is the temple, and excludes baptisms. And even then the meat is minced - heavily processed - not the real "good" stuff. A very small amount of good stuff is taught to a selected few individuals on a need to know basis e.g. the Second Endowment. But most of what constitutes meat is literally no longer taught.

Think about it - it provides the perfect solution to the problem of what to do with the controversial doctrines the old prophets made up (blood atonement, Adam-God, anything to do with Kolob etc) Rather than issue a public statement denouncing them - which would be admitting dead prophets made major errors in their interpretation of revelations - just stop teaching it! "I don't know that we teach that..."

Meat is predominantly the no longer taught doctrines of dead prophets.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 03:50PM

My beef with the church was all the actual 'meaty bits' in church doctrine and history that I found.

Posted by: Lori at 49 ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 07:58PM

I always was drawn to the meat topics of Mormonism because I felt that was what truly distinguished the religion I was being raised in from the one down the street. Otherwise, why not just be Episcopalian! I knew about eternal progression---so when I was asked by a more knowledgable non-mormon "Do you believe you can become gods" I knew the answer was yes. Thus began my tumble into apostasy at the age of 17.

No one asks me why I chose not to be a mormon as an adult. I'm sure some people have theories swimming around in their head. I figure if anyone does ask that will give me a chance to tell them that I was given milk and also meat and I prefer vegetarianism.

Lori
written as I eat leftover bacon from breakfast

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 09:10AM

There used to be a lot of meat on the table. Sacrament meeting, Sunday School, priesthood meeting, RS meeting, seminary, church publications (with SS and RS having their own, independent magazines) and, at the top of the heap, "Gospel Doctrine" and the JoD. It was interesting, but it was also a big mess. So I can understand the brethren's desire to clear out the faux doctrines and end the cross chatter. But, being the control freaks they are, they went beyond that. Now LDS doctrine is like Hamburger Helper without the hamburger.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 09:25AM

....meat was anything that was hard to swollow. You wouldn't walk in and tell them that would have to give up beer, cigarettes, 10 percent plus of their income and spend countless hours working unpaid for the cult. You wouldn't tell them about the secret underwear, blood oaths and rituals in the temple. You would befriend them, tell them about prophets, Jesus in America, youth programs, and families being together forever. The tithing and the WoW was left for later. The embarrassing and disgusting parts such as Joe Smith's philandering, peep stones, MMM, polygamy, Kinderhook plates, Africans and the priesthood, Kolob, absence of archeological findings,failed Egyptian translations, etc. was not even addressed unless someone had ratted out the cult to the "investigator".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.