Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 02:46PM

By the end of 2008, the LDS Church had 28,109 wards and branches, 2,818 stakes, 348 missions, and 622 districts worldwide. #ldsfacts #mormon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:34PM

Here are the 2011 numbers.

Missions
2008: 348
2011: 340

Wards
2008: 28,109
2011: 28,675

Stakes
2008: 2818
2011: 2941

Districts
2008: 622
2011: 596

I'm not sure why they used old numbers to show statistics like this. Apparently they lost several missions, but gained several stakes and wards in the past 3 years.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/statistics/units/
http://lds.org/church/statistics?lang=eng

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:49PM

that's what makes "Mormon Facts" a glaring oxymoron.

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 05:15PM

Yeah... when I was looking over the statistics I was thinking about that. Anything official from them is bound to have something untrue about it.

I figured something had to be up if they were using 3 year old numbers.

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:40PM

Well if about 200 or so people go to each ward, then that's over 5 million members. I'm not sure that's a good number to go by for the amount of people per ward. But it's definitely not 14 million! Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 04:33PM

My ward had about 500 people on the books with about 180-200 showing up to Sacrament each Sunday (on avg.).

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:49PM

I'm pretty sure the 14 million includes everybody who has ever been baptised or put "on record" by being the child of somebody who has been baptised and under 8 years old.

There are three major problems that stand out to me:

1) Why should a child under 8 be considered for statistics when there is no way of knowing whether they will ever be baptised in the future, and may indeed already be "inactive" if their parents do not attend church.

2) At what age do you take inactive members off the records, when you don't have any contact with them, on the assumption they may no longer be with us? Do Mormons keep them on record until they are 110 years old?

3) Most importantly, why should somebody who doesn't attend Mormon meetings be considered a Mormon for membership purposes? The vast majority of the 14 million members they claim do not attend church. A large proportion of these haven't had any contact with TSCC for years! Just because somebody doesn't formally request "name removal" doesn't mean they consider themselves to be "members".

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 11:55AM

I agree with your three points. It is my impression that out of the 14 million members, maybe 3-4 million are at least semi-active or active with the rest totally removed.

I am not sure they ever take anyone off the records until they die.

Years ago, I was asked to go visit an inactive member--did not know who they were--no one seemed to know them. When I checked on them, they had died two years earlier but they were still on the records.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:55PM

Not only that, but it appears that those of us who have resigned might not be subtracted either!! Now THAT really irritates me!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 12:10PM

"I'm not sure why they used old numbers to show statistics like this. Apparently they lost several missions, but gained several stakes and wards in the past 3 years."

It's probably just splitting wards and stakes up. The local ward my TBM fam goes to just split in to 2 wards. They both meet in the same building, at different times. I asked if they were running out of room in the chapel, and was told "no, but not everyone was getting an opprotunity to serve in callings and receive the blessings..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.