Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 01:32AM

I wish I remember the story better. Years ago I was talking to an old man about mormons, he was not lds but when visiting slc he was invited to this secret club, downstairs at some kind of long bar, it was all hush hush, most men were lds and he was told not to tell anyone, He seemed to be not making this up and was suprized I had never heard of it. Has anyone else heard of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 01:37AM

I can't remember the name of that club. I think it was on south temple east of state street. government bigwigs hang out there.

I'll bet SL Cabbie knows the answer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 01:49AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 02:06AM

I had dinner there a few weeks ago as Will Bagley's guest at the Utah Westerners dinner... The Alta Club has been around for 120 years and was originally intended as a meeting place for both LDS and non-LDS "shakers and movers."

http://www.altaclub.org/

Years ago, across the street was the old "Wasatch Front," but that didn't last long (trying to operate a bar in Salt Lake is a horrible business proposition because the ABC folks are particularly noxious).

"dirtbkr's" description, though sounds like it could be D.B. Coopers, now the "Bourbon House" (other incarnations included "Monks House of Jazz"). The other possibility is the place that is now Murphy's (160 South Main). Years ago that was a little billiards place called the Peter Pan, and they ran some illegal card games until they were raided around 1981...

And way back when, there was a strip joint (pasties and g-strings) called the "Sequined Lady" that was below the street level... That one was on State Street, around the corner from the Jocor Lounge (that building is still standing I believe).

The description also fits the Manhattan Club on 400 South and Main (an old watering hole of mine in the 70's that has been open on and off ever since), but there was nothing "secret" about any of these places...

And that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2011 02:10AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 02:38AM

the Manhattan Club????????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.