Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:49PM

I am being dead serious here, because of an experience I actually had with Monson.

He was my Aunt and Uncle's Bishop. When my Uncle died, he was still the 1st Counselor in the FP. Somehow arrangements were made and he came and talked at my Uncles funeral dumb da dadda dumb....about MY UNCLE.

He went on and oh about how he had know my aunt and uncle when they were young marrieds, how he had reactivated my uncle, how great my uncle was. He focused solely on my uncle. The guy even shed some tears. I don't know if he was faking or not, but it was nothing about him. He did mention how great it would be after death when we could all be together again, but really didn't PREACH at us.

Now the Bishop on the other hand....well he was one of my 'role models' in the birth of Bishop Rood.

He get's up, says he didn't KNOW my uncle all that well, but since Monson was there he would spend the portion of his time KISSING HIS ASS, and bragging about his accomplishments in the Church.

Monson had this look on his face like 'who the hell is this guy?'

One of the most interesting funerals I've ever been to.

I don't think this CHI thing came from Monson, it came from Correlation or some other committee without inspiration, at least from the 'Prophet'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:58PM

What does the new CHI say?

I attended a TBM funeral just last week and all the children talked about memories they had of their dad. Even the bishop focused on the deceased. There was the usual "he cherised The Gospel", "nothing was more important to him than The Gospel," etc. But really nothing too preachy.

The only exception was the SP - clearly a GA wannabe. He spoke in that obnoxious GA drone about going to the temple, keeping convenants, etc. Except for him, it was actually a pretty nice funeral.

I guess that family didn't get the memo that "funerals are missionary tool".

Posted by: noname ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:44PM

I though we we not suppost to link to the CHI

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:38PM

...the rules being for the peons, not the leaders. The prophet can do whatever he wants, right?

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:01PM

From CHI vol. 2 regarding funerals:
"Video recordings and computer or other electronic presentations should not be used as part of a funeral service. Nor should the service be broadcast on the Internet or in any other way."

You mean like Hinkley's? Carried live, including on the internet and radio. WTF?? I guess if you are the big guy, you do what you want.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:16PM

"Church leaders should not incorporate rituals of other religions or groups into Church services for deceased members."

So I guess a "broken wand" ceremony for a magician would not be allowed. :-(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.