Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:16PM

My darling sister, Greek Islander, lost her brave battle this week. I am numb and very sad tonight. All the family members who have filled my house until this afternoon have left for their respective homes and now I can hear a pin drop, alone with my thoughts and grief. Today is the first day of my life after yesterday's closure with the most beautiful Humanist celebration of her life and funeral eulogy. She is gone and I am lost but it will get better provided I do as she would wish and take care of myself. Old wounds are raw today as well so I need to get on with things now and catch up with the real world where Christmas is under way and I am way behind. Will I be in the mood for Christmas? I don't know but for the sake of my grandchildren I will do my utmost and hopefully time will do what time does, eventually.

RIP sweet sis, I will always love you.

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:18PM

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:19PM

No words but please know you and yours are in my thoughts. You were a great sister.

I send you a hug

((((BIG HUG))))

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:20PM

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:20PM

It was very exciting to me when the Greek Islanders came to RfM for the first time. I will never forget that.

You and your sister are clearly lucky to have each other in your hearts.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:21PM

I also found many years ago that going through the motions of a happy Christmas could eventually build enough happy memories of the season to outweigh the sad.

I hated Christmas growing up because it was a time of strife, conflict, anger and (one memorable holiday) an attempt by my step-grandfather to molest me. But when my children came along I did everything in my power to make it happy for them. It took a few years but I eventually started to enjoy the holiday.

Wishing you well this season!

Posted by: plodder ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:22PM

So Sorry for your loss

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:26PM

My deepest condolences. I've never had to deal with a loss so close to the heart like that - I grieve for you, though I can't fully understand what you're going through. Hang in there...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:27PM

When I first read your posts, I somehow misread your name as Boadicea,and the image stuck in my mind - our British woman warrior.

Losing a sibling is hard. No way to put a smiley on that experience. I've been following your story for years, and you have my sympathy. The pain will pass - healing happens, and the world continues. Deep breaths, and remember the good times.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:35PM

Hi Briggy - so nice to see you here - sorry it is under sad circumstances.

When my uncle died, my aunt gave herself a year to do whatever she wanted. Accept or decline invitations. Celebrate the holidays or ignore them - the choice of what to do in the first year of the vacuum is entirely yours.

If you will enjoy making christmas for the grandchildren then do it for them - you are welcome to not enjoy it all if you don't. Follow your heavy heart though, it may well be able to whisper what is best for you.

But do give yourself a year of living gently and for yourself.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:47PM

Wise advice, msmom.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:47PM

I'm very sorry to hear that Brigantia; all the best.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 02:50PM

my sincere condolences on your loss.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 03:15PM

I have been on a similar journey before and know that the darkness will pass to make way for sweet memories peppered with poignant moments here and there, that's the way it should work at least. Perhaps the rawness of today will morph into that in time.

You have all shown amazing support for all of us in our journey into the light of truth and I'm grateful that she was able to enjoy an authentic life after leaving the cult.

I know that she will agree with me when I say our friends at RfM, especially one in the UK who knows who he is, together with some from the US, gave her the courage to be free at last from the clutches of mormonism. I had rarely seen her as happy as during those first days of freedom when I visited with the true history of which she hitherto had known nothing. Thank you so much for all your support.

Briggy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 03:16PM by brigantia.

Posted by: Voce d' Sicce ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 03:23PM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 03:26PM

Funny thing how we've never met... there are so many folks here who have never met you in person, but still love you!

When ya love someone you want to protect em from pain, and sometimes you just can't. I hope you'll accept my condolences. My heart aches with yours.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:16PM

I'm so sorry, Briggy. I am glad you have your grandchildren, who will surely cheer you a bit.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 03:32PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 03:34PM

Do take care of yourself during this time. My heartfelt sympathy to you.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:09PM

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:37PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:42PM

At least that's my hope. Take each day as it comes and treat yourself with kindness and patience.

Take care.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:47PM

It's very hard. Best wishes as you cope with this emptiness.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:48PM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:56PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:49PM

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 04:52PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 05:17PM

I've been keeping your situation private per your request, but several I've had lunch with over the holidays hold you in really high regard...

Time is all we have to heal us during these trials...

All my best,

SLC

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 05:20PM

:(
what Cabbie said too!! very high regard!!
besides you KNOW i LOVE redheads!! :)...ok maybe a little smile! :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 05:22PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 05:33PM

You're right, your sister would want you to take care of yourself. Hugs from across the ocean.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 05:37PM

I've been missing you and now understand. Thank you for letting us know.

I remember the unfolding of the Greek Islanders saga on board, when you travelled over there and helped family members to find freedom. What a great time that was on RfM!

I'm so glad to hear that your sister was happy to hear the news you brought them and that you could spend some time together, then on the sun-drenched isles and more recently through her illness.

I hope time with grandkids will comfort you through the holiday season and I too wish you peace.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 05:59PM

Oh Briggy,

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. If I had any words to take the pain away, I would share them. I do not. You are on my heart, as are your family members that lost one so beloved.

Take care of you.
wings

Posted by: Leroy ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 06:06PM

Brigitannia- I understand your pain. It was one year on the 7th since I lost my sister. She was only 57. (((((hugs))))

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 06:21PM

I'm very sorry brigantia. Very hard thing to go through.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 10:35AM

It sounds like you were a good sister too. Sending wishes for comfort to you and your family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.