Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 06:35PM

The insistence they have that they are right, have "the truth", and that they must try to convert everyone.

Not coincidentally, this is also the thing I find most offensive about evangelical christianity and fundamentalist islam.

Fine, you believe what you believe. Just shut the hell up about it and leave me alone already!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 06:51PM

People who believe they have absolute knowledge about the world can become monsters.

They can sacrifice babies because the Gods need to be fed.

They can burn human beings alive to save their souls

They can fly jet planes into buildings because God told them to.

They can murder millions becasue their wars are just and approved by their Gods.

They can destroy a planet because they 'know' they are going to Heaven.

To be absolute in your beliefs - beyond humility, beyond humanity, beyond doubt is to be a monster.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 06:52PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 07:26PM

I had a boss from Australia who used to refer to Mormonism as "one of the more annoying religions." From his point of view, these nuts fly clear to the other side of the world just to come to his door with their whacked out beliefs. He would say "That's great that they believe these things, I guess, and I respect their desire to do so, but can't they just keep it in Utah? Maybe they could wear ankle bracelets."

Posted by: burning bossom ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:41PM

You have to remember that the people going out are predominantly 19 years old.I talked to one guy that thought he was doing some kind of green peace thing. After about 6 months and after having forbidden missionary sex, he told them he was done. I was somewhat under the same impression, but more along the lines of not knowing what to really expect, but just taking it as it came.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:53AM

I did think the missionary experience would be more about helping people. Instead, it was a deified salesman job to shill for an international religiously-themed corporation.

If you want to help people and want a foreign adventure, I can recommend several options for young people and many of them will pay you for your time and expenses. Try working for OxFam, Teach for America, Peace Corps. Study abroad, teach English in Korea, or if you are really brave, join the military or the reserves.

Missionary work is just a waste of time and money for LDS families. They could do so much more for the world than annoying people by selling door to door.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:47PM

When they say "I KNOW" it means you "DON'T KNOW". How rude and arrogant and disrespectful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 08:47PM by Twinker.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:57PM

I got tired of the outright arrogance and discrimation. Us versus them attude. I see them as a big social club. What is religious about them?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:13AM

To what's worse is that claim they are "right, have the truth" and try to convert everyone, yet REFUSE to look at ANYTHING that might challenge those claims.

Posted by: cynicalso ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:14AM

I guess you don't believe in the 1st amendment then...

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:31AM

"The First Amendment (Amendment I) prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court as erecting a separation of church and state."

The OP wishes to be LEFT ALONE...let them worship as they see fit, and he wishes the SAME rights for himself. Also, coincidentally, and quite egocentrically, you seem to ASSume that all posters are from the US.

In the US, the 1st ammendment grants us the right to freedom of speech, it also grants others the right to tell us to shut up. We don't have to listen, but they have the right to say it.

I guess I'm not quite understanding how you are equating Hela's statement with a violation of the 1st ammendment?

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:40AM

its the Mormon faction of the Utah legislature who routinely runs proposed bills across town and across the desk of the LDS church officials before proceeding!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 05:39AM by Twinker.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:27AM

I find this the most offensive thing too.

Sure, every religion has its annoying side that, to individually-minded people, seems exclusinve and judgemental. But I truly believe that EVERY religion has useful wisdom to offer. I just think they should all respect each other.

If they really want to get down to it-- vanity is a "sin", and when you go around thinking you're better than everyone else, that is vanity.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:58AM

My Christian church doesn't think anyway like the Mormons. We are not told to treat people as idiots like the Mormons do. "Oh, you are not living the Gospel? You do not know JC? You haven't learned of the restored Gospel? Well, let me set you straight. This LDS church is the only true church. Let me baptize you now so you will be saved." Who talks like that???? ONLY MORMONS. They do claim to be THE TRUTH and the only truth. It is arrogant and not Christlike at all.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:01AM

It's no coincidence that the Church picks the age of 18/19 to send people on missions.

In reality, retired couple make the best missionaries. They are less offensive, more experienced, more acceptable on your doorstep, better financed (usually), much less likely to cause the Mission President grief and are more credible in terms of stating their belief.

The age that Missionaries are sent coincides with the age that most people who were either brought up in the Church or were children when their parents converted, start to understand things that aren't necessarily openly discussed. The Mission takes them away from the influence of their non believing peers and into an environment where they are isolated within Mormonism.

Brainwashing is the most offensive thing about Mormonism

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.