Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:38AM

David Archuleta is going on a mission. (So embarrassing how his father plead no contest last year to soliciting a prostitute at a massage parlor here in Utah.) Poor kid so emotional about going on a mission. Boy is he going to be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKRmw0fEM44

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 10:07AM

My comment:

"Poor deluded member of a destructive cult who will accomplish nothing for 2 years and then come back to no career. He'll violate the 11th and 13th Articles of Faith while on his mission and return to find he'll have to become a mindless drone."

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 11:50AM

That's too bad. He's going to be giving up a lucrative career to merely becomes the Church's PR play-thing.

Unfortunate.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 11:58AM

and his "street cred" in the LDS fanbase. Dude is going to be able to turn this into $$$$ as we will see a book about his mission within a year or so after he is done. And the best part for him, is he can come home early and claim that it just wasn't possible for him to do the work in Chile because of his fame if he gets bored or tired of it like the rest of us. No downside for him, and this will only help his career with LDS fans.

Could you believe the cheers he got with this? Just pathetic.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:36PM

according to Via who writes a blog for Des News he'e no Donny

"But I also learned that no BYU football or basketball player or any other college athlete at BYU or anywhere else had ever been given an exemption from missionary service. I was told that the only person who had been given such counsel was Donny Osmond and I think his brothers. By 19, Donny was already a singing and TV megastar and his presence as a missionary anywhere in the world would have created chaos and be counter-productive to the work."
http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/76/10010295/Vais-View-Missions-and-football-Part-III.html?pg=5

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:44PM

I remember hearing about that w2hen I joined TSCC in the 1970s.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:32PM

How about Steve Young?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:38PM

His life, his choice. I say: Go for it!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:34PM

SusieQ, if you believe the "church" to be false why would you say Go for it. YOU are not thinking of the innocent lives he will touch with lies and inaccurate info. I feel sorry that you encourage such things.

Date: December 21, 2011 12:07AM

honestone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SusieQ, if you believe the "church" to be false
> why would you say Go for it. YOU are not thinking
> of the innocent lives he will touch with lies and
> inaccurate info. I feel sorry that you encourage
> such things.

I'm passionate about freedom of religion. All religions are a free choice of every human being if they are able to do so.
What I think is true of false is not part of anyone else's decision.
It's their life, their choice, their learning experience.
My evaluation is that the LDS Church is true God Myth like thousands of other religions.

Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:22PM

I am actually quite pleased he is going on a mission. It will make it all the more fun to watch the church squirm when he finally comes out of the closet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 02:51PM by Washed and Disappointed.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:42PM

Washed and Disappointed Wrote:
> I actually quite pleased he is going on a mission.
> It will make it all the more fun to watch the
> church squirm when he finally comes out of the
> closet.

EXACTLY!!!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:33PM

If all you want is to watch the LD$ church "squirm" then so be it.

I, for one, feel bad for the people he might convince that Mormonism is true.

And, if he should make it through the mission, he'll hear the messages about getting married soon afterwards.

And, if he marries (I'm guessing LD$ girls would line up to marry him), he'll potentially devastate his wife & children's lives.

So, I disagree. It's MUCH better for him to come out of the closet NOW.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:38PM

This announcement was plastered all over my facebook this morning - for the love of Gawd! - don't you people have better things to talk about??? And by 'you' I mean my tbm friends.....maybe it's time to clean up my fb.

I think the Mor(m)ons thinks that cuz someone semi-famous is going on a mission, it gives them credibility.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 02:44PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:17PM

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 02:30PM

sad, so sad! Especially if he CANT get his fame back up when he gets back. He gave it all up for nothing!

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:49PM

The year DA did well on American Idol, Cornbellys did the corn maze in his image. Then they played his music over loud speakers so you could hear him all over the maze. It was 45 of the longest minutes of my life...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:03PM

Oh yes, my convert daughter's MIL put on facebook "GOOD NEWS TODAY" and then the link. My daughter "liked" her post. Feel like I want to vomit.

Posted by: theimmortalironfist ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:13PM

Why is it that when he started to cry, he starts sounding like Ernie from Sesame Street?

Posted by: m ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:35PM

Feelings...DA say's "oh I had this feeling"... well I have a feeling too.
I have this bosom burning feeling his carreer is going to go down the crapper faster than crap thru a goose.

Enjoy

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:18PM

Does this mean he paid a full and honest tithe for a full year on his earnings in order to be worthy of going through the temple and on a mission?

"That is utterly shameful! One of thee most, tragic things I have ever heard in all my life!" **in my best Simon voice!**

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:28PM

Good Luck David! Wonder if Simon will pay you a visit and criticize you numbers and motivation?!

Posted by: miserable in ut county ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:37PM

My exmo sister took her 11 year old daughter to the concert last night. 11 yr old is a HUGE fan and it was a bday present for her. Anyways, my exmo sister said after his announcement people were bawling and freaking out, some close to fainting. Apparently only a few people remained in their chairs, obviously not mo's! Sister also said that David's mom came out on stage to sing with him and she was wearing a really pretty evening gown... with the standard t-shirt underneath!!! At least it was black? WTF?? LOL~!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:46PM

I don't think that he'll have any trouble keeping his fans. They're very devoted.

I doubt that his mission will in any way be normal. He will be doing concerts everywhere.

Posted by: Blinky ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:41PM

Just saying.

Posted by: tl707 ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 12:14AM

I'm really surprised by the responses here. I'm not LDS but I was at this concert when he made this announcement. I too don't agree with the church AT ALL. But to accuse him of being gay? David is not gay in the slightest. I've been in touch with those close to him. David will have a career when he returns. He is not a flash in the pan but a mega talent. Do not underestimate him. I get not believing in mormonism but don't bash him personally, thats uncalled for.

Date: December 21, 2011 12:25AM

tl707 Wrote:
> I'm really surprised by the responses here. I'm
> not LDS but I was at this concert when he made
> this announcement. I too don't agree with the
> church AT ALL. But to accuse him of being gay?
> David is not gay in the slightest. I've been in
> touch with those close to him. David will have a
> career when he returns. He is not a flash in the
> pan but a mega talent. Do not underestimate him. I
> get not believing in mormonism but don't bash him
> personally, thats uncalled for.

I agree. The viciousness is uncalled for! I don't know why people think he is gay either.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 01:57AM

Really I wish the best for him in his personal life. It's just knowing what he is about to go trough,having done it myself,that makes me cringe. M.T.C., Temple, Garments, Mormon Doctrine,being told what to do 24/7 and persuading vulnerable people to join the Cult with only partial teachings.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 02:05AM

Is it a bad career move? Are mormons anything like country music fans - loyal to the end? I think he's a incredible singer, but I haven't heard much about his career. At least he's got 14 million lifetime fans, though only 30% of them will buy his cd's.

Why do people think he's gay? I'm not sure, he never struck me as being gay. Then again, he's not the kind of guy you'd say I don't think he's gay and people would get mad at you for stereotyping. But it makes sense because what else would account for the fact the the mormon experience didn't squelch out his creativity? Something deep within that dude is counteracting the forces of his environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 02:08AM by thingsithink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.