Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:06AM

Tonight we saw "Saints at War", a BYU TV production about US Mormons in the Korean War. I looked at it because of a historical interest in it. Those who know me know we are Nevermos. Aside from the church propaganda we found it very interesting and informative. A Mormon I had worked with many years ago told me that while Mormons are definitely not pacifists all of those he had spoken with about Korean War experiences agree how especially terrible it was because of the severe cold, something I have heard from many non-Mormon combatants as well. Any serious, non-flippant opinions, critiques out there? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:12AM

I watched the program on the Utah Man bombing mission. It was interesting. It's a good program and I think it's on You Tube. Basically, young men doing a tough job, putting their lives on the line because Hitler and the Japanese had to be stopped.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:13AM

Although having been a active mormon in the active duty military I think it is a little self-important to think that a mormons experience was so different from a non-mos, that it warrants an entire tv show. IMO

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 02:35AM

@bingoe4, We can make the same argument about any group. Remember Ken Burn's show, the War? Hispanic veterans made a big fuss not being included.

Is that right? Personally, I don't think so -- like you, I think we should focus on our common history and not on religious, racial, or regional divisions. But it is what it is. Maybe some day they'll make a show about Atheist vets ... like Pat Tillman.

PS -- @rwg, I own that book (Saints at War). The Korean War was especially brutal.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:52AM

possible ounce of PR into everything the do, I'd agree with the Major. In this case, Mormon PR prempts everything they do, and so I tend to see ulterior motives in shiz like this.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:53AM

Was Paul Dunn there getting his boot heel shot off again?

ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.