Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:43PM

Let's get a tally of how many people we've all helped to start thinking rationally. My tally is 1 person out of the church, and 2 people out of the god delusion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:51PM

2 from the church officially
2 into Jack-Mormonism
1 into atheism (from standard Christianity)

(All separate individuals)

Edit: After bona dea's response, I think it's important to note that I have preached to anyone.

Situation 1 came about from people who sought out my help after they heard I left.
Situation 2 came about from my own family and seeing me become a much happier person after leaving.
Situation 3 came about thanks to constructive debates about religion with both parties willingly participating.

You don't have to preach to help other people out of thinking patterns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 11:00PM by Tiff.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:56PM

I have no need to change anyone's mind about religion and I do not try. However, I am not married and don't have kids so I might feel differently about them. I confess I would like to see family and friends out of the church, but they show no interest and I respect that.I don't care for Fundies but I have no beef with religion otherwise. I am against mishies of all types.If people show an interest, I will talk to them, but most of my friends don't so I leave them alone.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:02PM

I feel about the same as bona dea. I just regret the people I brought into the church as a missionary.

Date: November 19, 2010 11:03PM

I'm not suggesting proselytizing. But we inevitably stand as a beacon of reason and rationality. I often have people with questions and doubts approaching ME for clarity, and I certainly can't refuse to discuss the truth of the Morg, etc., with them.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:08PM

resipsaloquitur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not suggesting proselytizing. But we
> inevitably stand as a beacon of reason and
> rationality. I often have people with questions
> and doubts approaching ME for clarity, and I
> certainly can't refuse to discuss the truth of the
> Morg, etc., with them.

Exactly

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:40PM

8 out of the church (4 friends, 4 relatives)

It might be more, but I don't want to take credit. It really wasn't that hard. I had done a lot of research into the historical, doctrinal problems of Mormonism and when they asked me why I dont' go to church anymore I told them I no longer believe in it and why. It's amazing how quickly Mormon "testimonies" can evaporate. The thing is, I really didn't go out of my way to de-convert anyone. I just shared with them the truth when they asked and let them come to their own conclusions.

I'm with Tiff and resipsaloquitur, its not like I was proseletizing or going out of my way to de-covert Mormons, I just wasn't afraid to share what I knew about Mormonism it's amazing the seeds you can plant when you are just open with Mormons. You never really know how much influence you might have.

I remember living in a house with 3 young Mormon guys in college (two were RM's and one was preparing for a mission). I opened up with one of them about my disbelief and shared with him my research. It was like a domino effect. One year later the whole house had apostacized.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:41PM

Most important, my children! Three are Christian.

One of my children is Atheist, but I don't consider that being "saved", because this child is married to a Mormon and is an active, garment-wearing Mormon.

Like some of you, I have some rules and boundaries about "saving" people from the Mormon cult. My personal mission is to tell people the Truth, and discuss it with them in a way that they understand. But, they have to ask, of course.

Preaching does not work.

I also try to set a good example, and I am an empathetic listener, when people complain about the cult. I let them know their complaints are valid, and that there is nothing wrong with THEM. It is a start.

I'm still a Christian, so I try to help people keep their belief in the God of their own choosing; in other words, just because the Mormon God is fake, doesn't mean that there is no God. I think it is good for people to pay attention to Christ's teachings, whether or not they believe in his divinity. To see people lose all their faith just because of that stupid polygamist cult, is painful.

In my experience, most people leave the cult when they realize they are being mistreated or victimized in some way (not merely offended). Listening has been my greatest weapon against Mormonism. Mormonism self-destructs when people start objecting to the abuse.

I have made a personal vow to not help the Mormon missionaries, or their cult--even in the slightest way.

Let's hope that we will tip the scales, and help more people to leave than we helped convert.

Date: November 19, 2010 11:44PM

If people are interested and initiate the discussion, I have no problem. I wish some of my friends and relatives would bring it up with me. However, I definitely object to preaching from anyone of any belief. I have no nee to save people

Date: November 19, 2010 11:45PM

Ya, you said that.

Date: November 19, 2010 11:48PM

resipsaloquitur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ya, you said that.
Just saying i have no problem with your method if you aren't preaching.I'm not sure that came across in my original post.For me it depends on whther the person is interested or whether the church works for them. It is a good fit for some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 11:51PM by bona dea.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:49PM

I respect and honor everyone's right to their beliefs. It's their life, they get to chose. It's a personal choice. It's none of my business.

If my comments resonate with someone questioning, thinking of leaving the LDS Church, or in the process, that's fine. I'm happy to help. If not, that's also fine.

I understand the value/need/cultural/ societal/traditional/heritage of religion/ God Myths, and the need to believe in deities/savior of all sorts through out the history of humanity.
That part of humanity won't ever go away.
I find the world religions and their history very interesting: the variety of music, the pageantry, the traditions, the costuming, the stories, the sacred writings, etc.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 12:22AM

>I'm not suggesting proselytizing...

I was never much good at evangelism of any sort, but
I did follow through with Vernal Holley's wishes, and
placed some of his writings on-line, here:

http://sidneyrigdon.com/vern/1999Swdn.htm
(follow the links at top of page)

His dying wish was to destroy the Christian church, by
showing that Jesus was not the Christ.

UD

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 10:46AM

She left her bad marriage and therefore was shunned by her parents and a couple of sisters. I helped her resign her membership.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.