Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 09:37PM

I have a lot of friends that are missionaries all over the world. Not for COJCLDS, of course.

One couple has been living in a village in Thailand for 6 years now. They are helping a very underserved, discriminated against people group (Akha). They have learned some basic (and not so basic) first aid and dental care, which they provide to people who otherwise would not have it. They are also involved in helping girls and women abused in the sex trade. This is a mission.

I know a woman who lives at a boys' school in Belize- helping orphan boys get through school and learn a trade so they can help their families. This is a mission.

I know a couple working toward relocating to Thailand permanently to deal primarily in rescuing girls from the sex trade. This is a mission.

So please, explain to me how teen age boys on bikes stalking people who would rather be left alone is helping the world in any way, and how the church can be so proud of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 01:08AM

One saying I've seen a lot lately is "A missionary is someone who leaves his family for two years so that others can be with their families for eternity."

I think that sums up the attitude as well as anything. They don't think they are annoying the crap out of people. They think they are saving them. The fact that the people haven't requested help and/or salvation is neither here nor there. They need to be taught that they are in peril of losing their family for eternity so that they can be sold the Mormon Plan of Salvation, pay their 10 percent and buy the handshakes to heaven. That's why Mormons can be so proud of what they do. They may not truly help the living but boy, do they have something that will help you for the eternities.

I think the real missionaries you know would be the ones Jesus would say "well done" to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.