Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 11:29PM

Interesting article in today's London Daily Mail (web edition) on Mitt Romney and baptism for the dead. Seems Ann Romney's father, a confirmed atheist, was baptized in the Salt Lake Temple shortly after his death.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 11:38PM

Date: January 29, 2012 12:48AM

I got on there and there are the usual pro-Mormon comments along with some comments that more or less agree that Mormons are wack jobs. What really bothered me is that you can rate a comment pro or con, and it looks like Mormons have been on that site like crazy, giving a thumbs up to all comments that either support Mormonism or say religion isn't important in an election. Anything against Mormonism has a thumbs down rating. You can rate comments without registering - everyone should get on and give a thumbs up to comments that expose Mormonism and a thumbs down to the dumb apologetic crappola.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:09AM

yeah but........... no one with any sense takes a daily fail article seriously, let alone the comments section.

daily fail readers are generally known for being carpet munching, xenophobic and slightly to the right of 'Attila the Hun'.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 05:20PM

What you say has an element of truth but remember the article is about Romney's Mormonism and not politics. Regardless of its political leaning, the Daily Mail has a huge circulation in comparison with American newspapers as a whole and those readers are hearing something about Mormonism that they might not perhaps have known.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 08:01AM

I think the Daily Mail website is the most popular newspaper site in the UK.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 08:07AM

I just looked up the DM and it has the most popular news website in the world.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:06PM

Attila the Hun? You remind me of my favorite nickname for Margaret Thatcher the school milk snatcher: Attila the Hen.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 06:17PM

EssexExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah but........... no one with any sense takes a
> daily fail article seriously, let alone the
> comments section.
>
> daily fail readers are generally known for being
> carpet munching, xenophobic and slightly to the
> right of 'Attila the Hun'.

Ah. You'll be a *Grauniad reader, EssexExMo? ;oD

*Me too. As it happens.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 06:34AM

Thank you Kentish, I've added a comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 06:35AM by clairefergie.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:19AM

The "likes" are certainly in our favour now.

Date: January 29, 2012 09:22AM

It's OK, we've baptised Mit Romney into the pagan religion.

- Helen, Colchester, 29/1/2012 10:59

Date: January 29, 2012 10:45AM

and also make a comment on the story on the Daily Mail website, too.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 12:21PM

I'd love it if some hard-line evangelical church started purposefully proxy baptising dead Mormons into its church in a similar style ceremony. Can you imagine how up in arms TBMs would be regardless of being told "they can still choose to accept it or not". A taste of one's own medicine comes to mind.

Date: January 29, 2012 07:16PM

I've had an idea for a while to have a website where you could do excommunications for the dead. You just need to get volunteers to sin, for and on behalf of ________________, who is dead. Exmos and others who resent their ancestors baptisms could submit their names to my website along with a favorite "sin" if it's known, (like drinking too much scotch) and one of our volunteers would pour themselves a scotch and before they drink it say

I, sherlock, drink this scotch, for and on behalf of Uncle Fester, who is dead, in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost, Amen.

Then, you drink the scotch and Uncle Fester no longer is worthy of his temple recommend and free from Mormon heaven. I hope someone steals this idea from me because I'm too busy to do it myself but would happily perform the ritual for any and all tea drinkers and rum and coke fans.

Date: January 29, 2012 07:36PM

>I'm not surprised at all. I baptized a pet squirrel once after he died. He's waiting for me on the other side. I was screaming, "DON'T GO TOWARD THE LIGHT". But it was all too late

- resident, somewhere in America, 29/1/2012

:oD

Date: January 29, 2012 07:38PM

"The Mormons have been baptising on behalf of the dead for well over a hundred years..." That is true, Sue. But it still does not lessen the potential insult to the memory of the person concerned and the hurt it could cause to the living family members.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 08:52AM

+1,000,000!!!

It wasn't me but I wish it had been! LOL!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:49PM

sherlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd love it if some hard-line evangelical church
> started purposefully proxy baptising dead Mormons
> into its church in a similar style ceremony. Can
> you imagine how up in arms TBMs would be
> regardless of being told "they can still choose to
> accept it or not". A taste of one's own medicine
> comes to mind.

That idea was the theme of an interesting novel published in 2009 written by K. Thomas Murphy, "End of Grace." The plot involved a scheme to notify the survivors of recently deceased Mormons that their departed loved ones belonged to a false church and have been posthumously baptized into the true church. It becomes so widespread that it sharply decreases LDS church revenue.

A good thriller-type novel, which unfortunately has some misrepresentations of some details of Mormonism.

You can read 20 reviews (mostly favorable) at amazon dot com

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:16PM

And these are the guys who accuse gays of recruiting!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 03:25PM

Good one! :-)

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 03:16PM

Something we need to think about. A mormon dead dunks somene and the family of the deseased are angry about it but Mormons say a dead person can choose those ordanences for themselves well... Isnt that like saying only the mormons beliefs are vallied and the whole argument that after death no one else should worry because that persons dead kind of hints at there being moremon heaven to them or notohing no other belief systems where a dead person might get miffed and whats happening with thair name and thair memory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.