Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: his_dudeness ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 01:53AM

In a Detroit Free Press Article comments on Mitt Romney: "Mitt Romney's run for president spurs interest in Mormon faith",

http://www.freep.com/article/20120130/NEWS05/201300360/Mitt-Romney-s-run-for-president-spurs-interest-in-Mormon-faith

I posted:
ME: "Mormons are taught that polygamy will exist in heaven, and all women will live as sister wives making babies, and caring for other women's babies, while hubby impregnates his other wives.".
Mormon Responder: "Please site your sources from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints approved website.".

How do I respond?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 02:07AM

I'm not sure how to respond because anything other than LDS.org will not be sufficient. Paranoia among TBMs is at an all time high. To the point where one TBM I was talking to said she wasn't convinced Mormon.org was run by the church! (Then went into a tirade about how the proper name is LDS NOT Mormon...OMFG) Omg it's says it right on the website.

Sigh.

Yeah, that is an infuriating response. I received it several times, especially when discussing church finances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 02:10AM by goldenrule.

Posted by: EverAndAnon ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 03:58AM

Here you go...

http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-16/

Journal of Discourses, Vol. 16, p. 166

This doctrine of baptism for the dead is a great doctrine, one of the most glorious doctrines that was ever revealed to the human family; and there are light, power, glory, honor and immortality in it. After this doctrine was received, Joseph received a revelation on celestial marriage. You will recollect, brethren and sisters, that it was in July, 1843, that he received this revelation concerning celestial marriage. This doctrine was explained and many received it as far as they could understand it. Some apostatized on account of it; but others did not, and received it in their faith. This, also, is a great and noble doctrine. I have not time to give you many items upon the subject, but there are a few hints that I can throw in here that perhaps may be interesting. As far as this pertains to our natural lives here, there are some who say it is very hard. They say, "This is rather a hard business; I don't like my husband to take a plurality of wives in the flesh." Just a few words upon this. We would believe this doctrine entirely different from what it is presented to us, if we could do so. If we could make every man upon the earth get him a wife, live righteously and serve God, we would not be under the necessity, perhaps, of taking more than one wife. But they will not do this; the people of God, therefore, have been commanded to take more wives. The women are entitled to salvation if they live according to the word that is given to them; and if their husbands are good men, and they are obedient to them, they are entitled to certain blessings, and they will have the privilege of receiving certain blessings that they cannot receive unless they are sealed to men who will be exalted. Now, where a man in this Church says, "I don't want but one wife, I will live my religion with one," he will perhaps be saved in the celestial kingdom; but when he gets there he will not find himself in possession of any wife at all. He has had a talent that he has hid up. He will come forward and say, "Here is that which thou gavest me, I have not wasted it, and here is the one talent," and he will not enjoy it, but it will be taken and given to those who have improved the talents
they received, and he will find himself without any wife, and he will remain single for ever and ever. But if the woman is determined not to enter into a plural marriage, that woman when she comes forth will have the privilege of living in single blessedness through all eternity. Well, that is very good, a very nice place to be a minister to the wants of others. I recollect a sister conversing with Joseph Smith on this subject. She told him: "Now, don't talk to me; when I get into the celestial kingdom, if I ever do get there, I shall request the privilege of being a ministering angel; that is the labor that I wish to perform. I don't want any companion in that world; and if the Lord will make me a ministering angel, it is all I want." Joseph said, "Sister, you talk very foolishly, you do not know what you will want." He then said to me: "Here, brother Brigham, you seal this lady to me." I sealed her to him. This was my own sister according to the flesh. Now, sisters, do not say, "I do not want a husband when I get up in the resurrection." You do not know what you will want. I tell this so that you can get the idea. If in the resurrection you really want to be single and alone, and live so forever and ever, and be made servants, while others receive the highest order of intelligence and are bringing worlds into existence, you can have the privilege. They who will be exalted cannot perform all the labor, they must have servants and you can be servants to them.

Posted by: EverAndAnon ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:53PM

BTW, What you posted was slightly wrong.

In that quote from Young, he claims that Smith taught that women have two choices,

1. remaining eternally unmarried (and working as servants to the polygamous gods)

or

2. joining one of the holy harems

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.