Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 11:43AM

Jerald Tanner writing in "Tracking the White Salamander" tells about BY and other early church leaders being arrested for producing "Bogus". They produced both coin and paper money. This is the first I have ever heard of that.

I just googled for the origin of the term 'bogus' and found it only came into use in the 1830s-1840s. Hmmmmm . . . .

Was there anything BY wouldn't do for a buck?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 04, 2012 11:44AM

bogus:

"counterfeit money," 1839, Amer.Eng., apparently from a slang word applied in Ohio in 1827 to a counterfeiter's apparatus.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 12:06PM

Can you give us a link to the original source material. I would love to bring this up next time I run into old TBM friends.

Date: February 04, 2012 01:41PM

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/trackingch7.htm

It's in the section called: Insight on Hofmann.

Here is an excerpt:
"There is a species of counterfeit, extensively circulated in this community, called Nauvoo Bogus....They are a pretty good imitation of the genuine coin...some of our business men have been imposed upon by them. It is said they are manufactured in the City of the Saints." (Warsaw Signal, April 24, 1844)

"COUNTERFEITING, &c.—On a former occasion, we stated that a species of counterfeit money—called Nauvoo Bogus, was extensively circulated in this vicinity. We have since heard the charge distinctly made by one who has had an opportunity of knowing the facts, that Joe Smith,...is engaged in this nefarious business....the fact is notorious that bogus is made in Nauvoo. Here then, we have a band of counterfeiters in our midst, who can defy the laws under the protection of a pretended prophet." (Ibid., June 5, 1844)"

Another quote from Tanner's book:

"The United States Government has preserved some important records concerning the indictment of the Mormon leaders for counterfeiting. In Mormonism—Shadow or Reality? page 539, we have a photograph of a U.S. Government record which shows that Brigham Young and four of the other Mormon Apostles (Willard Richards, John Taylor, Parley P. Pratt and Orson Hyde) were indicted for counterfeiting."

Date: February 04, 2012 06:37PM

The word bogus came up as a descriptor for the counterfeiting activities that several of the Mormon leaders were doing. The Feds called BY "Bogus Brigham", which pertained to his counterfeiting activities. In fact, one of the biggest motivating factors for BY to take the faithful to Utah was the fact that the Feds were after him for his counterfeiting. Also, the phrase "phony as a three dollar bill" comes from the phony paper money that was being issued at the Kirtland Bank in exchange for the real money that the many unsuspecting people were investing into that bank. The paper money was issued in three dollar bills, hence the expression. I found out also that four dollar bills, just as phony, were issued by a Mormon owned bank in Monroe, Ohio, I think, and I believe that Hyrum Smith's signature appears on those. Other early leaders who at least worked with metal and were also possible counterfeiters include Oliver Cowdery, who was known to be a tinsmith and there are some vague references to "someone" possibly coming to Oliver to fabricate some plates... Sound fishy to you? I think that Smith's father also may have dabbled in some counterfeiting while he was involved with a group of unsavory types who would escape over the border into Canada from New York.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:51PM

didn't BY do this in Utah, also? I think I heard that they made coins that weren't legit - lacking in gold or silver, or a bit smaller than they were supposed to be...Anyone have any information on this?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:01PM

Mormons: ALWAYS a Law Unto Themselves.

the Mentality behind this is Firmly Entrenched in LDS Culture:
everyone else MUST Conform to the LDS; anyone who doesn't is a gentile, and most likely a traitor.

also, the Mentality that they wanted to be isolated 'in the world, but not of the world'. again, North Korea comes to mind...

Hofmann: his Bombs KILLED PEOPLE; if that had been investigated & prosecuted at the Federal Level, he might have been executed instead of rotting in prison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 04:03PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.