Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Reinventing Grace ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:51AM

Question for the ladies --

* What year (or decade) did you go through the temple?
* What did they tell you about bras and garmies?
* Any other noteworthy recollections from the garmie instruction event?

I'm just curious is there's been a quiet policy shift, or if different matrons say different stuff about God and bras.

RG
(They didn't say squat about bras and garmies to me -- I'm a guy)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:14AM

I've never been endowed, but other women have told me in a few different forums (and my VT told me) that it really depends which temple you were endowed in, and where. Some of them will tell you "Over-under bra doesn't matter", and some will tell you "Only nursing mothers should wear a bra under the garment to prevent infecitons".

Really some places say it is up to you, and some are just really old fashioned. Personally, I think it should be left up to the women. Becuase quite frankly, its not healthy for a woman to wear shorts with no panties like that. Doctors advise women not to go without panties, because... Well lets just say you can get infections if you don't because regular panties fit a little closer, so they keep the area more dry. The way they fit also keeps the back area from contaminating the front area. So until they come up with a MODERN solution, they have no business telling women how to wear them. Those rules were made a century ago, and people knew nothing abotu all this back then, so......

Or perhaps, they need to invent regular supportive BRAS with the special seal on them, and maybe even regular panties, that come with your garments as a set. This way, women can legitimatly wear regular underwear under the garments.

Or better yet, forget the garments all together, because I don't believe in them anyway! lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 03:22AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:04AM

The only problem would be that they'd probably be cut to be uncomfortable and unattractive. And of course they'd only come in white.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:09AM

I never had the um, pleasure of having to wear garments. However, growing up I was only allowed to wear white granny panties because it would help me, "Prepare for the temple."

Stupid cult.

Date: November 23, 2010 12:13PM

At least I wore colored panties as a kid, except for when I did dead dunkings where white was required.

Fortunately, I never had to wear garmies either although I did hang them on the clothesline and fold them on laundry day.

Date: November 23, 2010 03:59AM

The temple matrons say whatever they've been told. Some of them think it's important to wear garmies next to the skin and others don't.

It's funny that many members don't know that garmies must not touch the floor and must be trashed respectfully when they're worn out.

I think serious church commandments are quite consistent churchwide, but many rules and minor traditions are variable.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:31AM

A bra is engineered to support the b00bs. For everything to work, the elastic part of the bra and the straps need to stick to the skin a little--especially in the back.

There is no way I could ever get my bra to work, when worn over those slippery garments. The back strap ended up over my shoulder blades, and the shoulder straps ended up half way down my arms. I always wore it under the garments. So did my mother, SIL, and some of my friends. I wore the bottoms tight, so there wouldn't be ugly wrinkles under my clothes.

When I got married the second time, outside the temple, I refused to wear garments and have my husband see them. That would have been too humiliating!

I honestly think that wearing sexy, fun underwear gives you some incentive to keep your body looking hot! I think this raises a woman's self-esteem. Probably works for men, too.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:48AM

They expressed that that was a weird habit of the American members, that German women were too smart for that one. Anyone else, maybe some European RfMer, do the same?

When DW was wearing one-piece G's, she would occasionally have a heavy period and would wear panties over the garments in order to use a pad. That didn't do the trick, so she eventually went to wearing them beneath, but felt so guilty for doing so, like she was breaking some sort of holy commandment.

Why does anything Mormon seem to particularly affect the women more negatively than the men?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 10:52AM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Why does anything Mormon seem to particularly
> affect the women more negatively than the men?

Because men control the choices and decide which rules are made to be rules. But they have no experience as women and, even if they are well-intentioned in trying to make a "one rule fits all" rule, they cannot possibly consider women's issues because they don't listen to women and they don't think we have valid opinions anyway. It's the result of a patriarchal society, but it really looks like apartheid.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:31AM

I went through in 2005 and they told me to ALWAYS wear my bra over my garment top, so that my garments would be the closest thing to my skin.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:10AM

Too bad ole Joe's not around today. There is no doubt he would be receiving fresh revelations to update the women's undies to cover God's commandments but little else. I can imagine panties and bras with the sacred markings sewn into the vital spots.

Kinda Kolob kinky, no? Emma's secret to insure that the men hold to the rod.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:25AM

This thread reminds me of the talk that Nelson gave regarding women. He noted that since he had a wife and daughters, he was an expert on women. My wife read that and asked how many times he had been a woman. I told her, to the best of my knowledge, he had NEVER been a woman. DW responded: When he has been a woman, then he can talk.

Posted by: shadowgirl60 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:25AM

When I went through the American Fork Temple in 2002, I was strictly told to wear my bra OVER the garment top. When I suggested that this would not work very well, the matron gave me a look of horror and told me I would be jeopardizing my eternal salvation if I did not wear them exactly as instructed.

That horrible, nasty underwear was the beginning of the end for me. Trying to find a way to make it bearable, I went to the Salt Lake distribution center garment counter hoping to find comfy g's. I told the lady that I was constantly uncomfortable and sweaty in them, and asked if there was a fabric available that might help me. Her "helpful" reply was that "sweat is the body's natural way of cooling itself."

"oh."

maybe I could slit my throat and my body would naturally form a clot?

So, so glad I'm out.

Posted by: Well I Never !!! ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:37PM

Sibling went thru temple in the 80's and was told that the bra went on top on garment. (Had to be next to the skin).

I went thru in '92 and was told that I could wear my bra under the garment top !!! (The temple matron told me in not so many words that tscc had sympathy for more buxom sisters. Apparently the bigger the boobs the more secure support you needed from your bra, therefore the bra was aloud next to your skin rather than your garment). It was your choice basically what you decided to do !!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:08PM

1962 -- Temple --instructions,re: garment -- wear next to the skin. It was the one piece.

This was the time when some women (usually older women in UT and ID) were still wearing the garment 24/7 and never taking it completely off even to bathe. I've shared one of those stories.

I've told the story of how I was a new convert, and the Rel. Soc. Pres ordered garments for me in nylon, and in a size too small, right before we were moving from OR to UT! It was customary for the Rel Soc. Pres to order your first set.
They were HOT and I could not sleep in them at night, plus the lace made me itch.
Years later, I called the Specials Dept and got a hold of a really nice lady that took my measurements and made them to fit -- with a real cap sleeve, and the seam under the breast in the right place.
I was so disgusted that they made so few sizes. Women don't come in two sizes!

These years in the 60's garments were easily purchased at Penny's over the counter in UT (and other places I am told) with a check or cash.

They could always be ordered by phone from Beehive Clothing Mills. In the 70's it was common to use a credit card when ordering over the phone rather than sending a check with your order.

Later, sometime in the 80's-90's I heard from other ladies that the instructions varied: next to the skin, or over the bra.Always over the bra when nursing, of course. They made nursing tops also.

We were also told never to put the garment on the floor.
Some ladies had very strict washing methods also.
Not me.:-)

(oops, posted this in the other garment thread first by mistake.)

PS: Another thing I noticed was that some of the older women wore the full length garment much of the time. And, always in the temple. That was the only style required for the temple ceremonies.
Now days, technically, you could go through the temple ceremonies without the garments on! :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.