Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 11:15PM

I will start. The core values of Christianity are pagan ones that the Roman Empire wanted to standardize in order to uniform the Empire.

BTW, GNP, I am only doing this in order to protect your thread from rascals, so you can thank me very much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 11:17PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 11:18PM

What is and is not cynical is very often subjective. To try to exclude ideas based on such a subjective concept as cynicism is never going to work.

Date: February 09, 2012 11:45PM

Wait, are you cynical of my plan to have an all cynical thread?

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 11:49PM

The most cynical value is that the ideas of christianity are fabricated by dependant people, and by the murderers Paul and Peter, and not by any charismatic sinfree leader. I suspect Jesus in some way was responsible for Barabas's killing the roman soldier, and that this was the real reason behind the roman desireto have him arrested - and since he was a leader of some sort it was better to have it done by the jews. Superior manipulators, much more clever than Jesus was able to become by the time (but he was then on his way to become a more clever manipulator).
Genealogy? 'Hey, aren't you meant to become a king, aren't you a true and morally clean and clever leader already popular and great and directly descended from the great David himself, and firstborn of a maiden?'

Date: February 09, 2012 11:58PM

In was the standard of the time for every major community to have their own godman figure who performed miracles and and taught great philosophical truths. Jesus may have been based on a real person, some of the godmen were, some where not, but there is no evidence that he ever existed. We do know that a striking number of the stories in the New Testament bare a striking resemblance to the stories of much older godmen.

http://pocm.info/index.html

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:14AM

Could we split this into a thread on Paulinism and Christianity?

The first is the religion we have, the second is the religion that died off long ago...

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:10AM

Cool! I thought I was the only one who thought that Paul had mutated the basics of the religion. He seemed like an ancient equivalent of SWK writing Miracle of Forgiveness, heaping guilt and shame upon everyone he could reach.

It seems to me that S/Paul spent half his life partying then spent the other half demanding that everyone else not do what he'd spent his life doing. Doesn't seem very fair. Unfortunately his teachings warped the minds and hearts of followers for centuries upon centuries afterward.

That's my highly-non-academic, amateur view of things. ;-)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:04AM

That's the core value of any institution. The rest is just PR.

And I don't think that's cynical, but the other thread is closed. I just think it the truth.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:30AM

... is to exploit the fact that humans love to play tricks on themselves.

This is the Gospel according to Timothy ... Oh look, my shoes are untied!

Timothy

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:22AM

Very polite of you to start a new thread IMO.

Here's my list with regards to how Christianity has actually been often been practiced n history:

Judgmental and intolerant
Violent and coercive.
Repressive and closed minded

i

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.