Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:26PM

I got a tattoo. Ever since I was 20, I've wanted a little, tiny tattoo on my ankle or wrist or hip but since I was always Mormon (and those aren't tattoo folks) I never got one. Ever since I quit being Mormon, I've kicked around the idea of getting one but DH disapproves of tattoos, And I didn't want to look like I was having a mid-life crisis of some sort and deciding what to get is harder when you realize how much your likes and dislikes change over a lifetime. But the idea kept nagging at me and finally I knew I'd never be able to let it go unless I got one, partly to replace what Mormonism took away (my freedom to choose) and partly as a Bucket List sort of thing.

So I got a tiny, 1/2 inch white tattoo on my wrist. Jarrod, the tattoo artist, said it would probably just look like a scar and DH would probably never even notice it but that's OK. The point isn't to HAVE a tattoo but to GET a tattoo. Something that says I make the decisions around here from now on. Something that says I am strong enough to fix what Mormonism broke. Something that reminds me I'm brave. I'm ridiculously proud of it - way out of proportion to it's size or looks or outrageousness.

Thanks for letting me tell you because I haven't told anyone yet and no one has noticed (Jarrod was right). It really only matters that I know I got it but it's still fun to tell you guys about it. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 07:27PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:28PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:33PM

I don't want a tattoo myself, but you got one for you, and I can't think of a better person to please than your own, authentic self!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 07:33PM by matt.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:32PM

That sounds awesome... I had never heard of "white ink tattoos".

Date: February 10, 2012 07:38PM

here are some pictures of what white tattoos look like.

http://whiteinktattoos.org/

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:40PM

Those are awesome. Thanks!

Enjoy your ink!

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:34PM

Congratulations! I was tatted during my trip to the Exmo conference last year, and mine is on my wrist so I can see it all the time without having to bend over, look in a mirror to see my backside, etc. I have one more tattoo in mind, but have not decided where I want to get it. I am happy for you!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:47PM

WAy to go CA Girl.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:48PM

Yay!!!! That's awesome! I've never seen a white one before, they look so cool! I just got my first one a couple weeks ago...I went pretty big though haha I got words all the way down my spine. I can't wait to see the look on my TBM mom's face when she sees it:)

I'm so happy you finally went for it though...so liberating eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 08:18PM by ajhart.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:49PM

Very cool! Congrats! What is the tattoo of, or did I miss that?

Date: February 10, 2012 07:55PM

It's a little cross - growing up Episcopalian until my teens, I really liked crosses and felt cheated because I couldn't wear one as a Mormon. Now I've got a cross no one can get me to take off. :)

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:50PM

Right on!

I'm thinking of getting one on my chest that says, "No Proxy Baptisms On My Behalf Please."

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:38AM

Beautiful. I hate the idea that an asshole in my family can "Necro-Dunk"me.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:46PM

Ya, not a fan myself.

I guess it won't matter either way when I'm dead, but while I'm alive I'll do what I can to dissuade them.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:53PM

Yes, WHAT is it?

Do the white ones fade faster than color?

Date: February 10, 2012 07:56PM

Yes, but if you are careful they can last pretty well. I've heard they can fade away completely but I figure if it does, I'll either get it redone, get something bigger and better or just think "Well, I got that out of my system."

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:58PM

Excellent!!! I have quite a few and am adding to my collection. I'm going all out, full sleeves and back, and legs, etc... Welcome to the club and they are addictive...

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:55PM

Hey CA girl, I can totally relate. I've sort of wanted a tattoo ever since I left the church but I'm not sure why I want one. In some ways I want one just to make the statement that I can if I want, to show I'm in control of me now (and not the church). But I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. And the second reason is, if by some miracle I make my mind up, I don't really know what I want!

I like your idea of a white tatoo, thank you for sharing.

PS I always enjoy your comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 09:00PM by clairefergie.

Date: February 11, 2012 02:29AM

Thanks clairefergie. That's pretty much why I got mine. Because I wanted to make my own decision about this and not let myself miss out on something I wanted because of the Mormon church. Also, when I couldn't stop thinking about it and kept surfing tattooing websites etc., I knew I had to get one. I wouldn't be able to let it go. Getting a small, discreet white one worked for me because as I mentioned, I knew I'd get it out of my system and be able to say I did it. Sometimes I just look at it and smile and think "I can't believe I had the nerve to do that."

Just keep thinking about it and sooner or later you'll stumble on a design and placement you like. That's part of what slowed me down - what would I get and where? I wanted something somewhere I could see and I wanted something I'd always liked. If I'd gone color, I'd have gotten my favorite flower because it's been my favorite since I was 14, so I'm pretty sure it always will be.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:05PM

Cool, I have never heard of white ink tattoos before.

I want to get a tattoo to cover a scar on my stomach, but my DH is also quite anti about the idea.

I got dared to get one years ago when I was in the army - before tattoos on girls were popular. After a bit of research, I got one on the sole of my foot. The skin is so thick there that the tattoos fade off after 6 months or so. The tattooist thought I was nuts, but I won the dare.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:17PM

I'd love to get a tattoo of Marvin the Martian but I can't stand pain. Heck, my TBM DH has even encouraged me to do that!@_@

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 09:18PM by imalive.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:16AM

I got a picture of a breast tattoo'd on the little toe of my left foot.

I call it my "tit tat toe."

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:42AM

I've never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the pix, CAgirl. Now my brain is churning and I'm thinking about getting some white ink. Really beautiful!

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:03AM

I just got my 3rd...a white wrist one. Love it! White ones need at least two touch ups for the ink to stay. What I love about the white one I have is it's kinda hard to see, I can cover it when I need, but it's beautiful.

Tattoos can be addictive. Never in a million years I would have thought I'd have 3 and want more!

Yeah! Congrats!!

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:56PM

Congrats! I've thought about getting one, but i'm afraid of the pain. Does it hurt as bad as they say ca girl?

Posted by: Pierre Woodman ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 05:28PM

Does it hurt? Naaa, not much. Only just a little bit at first.

Date: February 11, 2012 11:31PM

I thought it hurt plenty but not enough that I wouldn't do it again. I keep thinking that this one, discreet tattoo is enough but by the same token, part of my brain is thinking what my next one would be. I wouldn't let the fact it hurt stop me for a minute.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:58PM

Watch out, they are addicting. :) Congrats!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:07PM

Love it CA girl. I have wanted a small tattoo on my ankle for about 30 years. But,nice Mormon moms don't do that. I love what you did: white,cross,wrist. I think I will steal it.My 2 youngest have wanted me to get a tattoo for quite a while...I think I will. Thanks for the encouragement!

Date: February 11, 2012 11:33PM

Go for it - I'm really glad I did it. I smile every time I see mine.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:02PM

I have 3 little dots tattooed on me when I had breast cancer. They put them on you so they always radiate you in the exact same spot.
Now I always think of radiation when I see a tattoo.
It does surprise people when i tell them I have 3 tats, and NO they can't see them.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:31PM

Good for you CA girl! I do like some tats, even though it's not something I'm interested in; it sounds lovely :D
I hear you about the cross thing, too. I sometimes wear one that belonged to my mother. Occasionally I wore it when I was still a member; not once did anyone ever give me any grief about it, but then folks here are pretty chill and understanding. It always makes me sad to read stories about how others were treated by Mormons, or how many Mormons view the cross and react negatively to it in jewelry, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.