Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mpp ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:08PM

On the LDS BBC board a nonmember posted about Mormon missionaries coming by their home and offering to assist with chores etc. She wondered if they were doing this as a way of proselyzing. The many responders said that missionaries are required to do 10 service hours a week in the community. They are not allowed to proselytize while they do this. They even assist members with chores. When I was on my mission 1968-1970 there is no way this would be allowed. It was all about tracking and teaching. Did this change, and if so, when?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:15PM

When I was out 1991-1993 in AZ we were "required" to do 4 hours a week. It wasn't really required, but we were just supposed to do it.

We generally took the opportunity to do so to avoid the regular missionary work. At first we were allowed to go not wearing our nametags when it might cause a stir. Pretty soon our mission pres decided we needed the PR bonus and we weren't allowed to do any service not wearing our tags.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:15PM

That would explain why the missionaries in my area keep asking if there's any service they can do. I've utilized their muscle power to help out around the yard, and they haven't made anything religious out of it. I do it out of sympathy, since I wish on my mission I would have had more opportunities to get my hands dirty with actual work, and not with continually having to try to shove mormonism down people's throats.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:21PM

If mishies actually wanted to be helpful, they'd consentrate only on impoverished neighborhoods or they'd offer to help in soup kitchens and homeless shelters.

They wouldn't spend a minute's time canvassing prospective high tithe payers.

Although there are some middle class and upscale neighborhoods with lonely or needy residents, it's downright silly to scour these areas trying to search them out.

A pair of mishies stroll past the gardener and ring the bell of a stately home. An attractive couple in pressed white tennis attire answer. "We're here representing the true church of Jesus Christ and we want to offer help scrubbing your toilets or weeding."

It just doesn't come off as sincere.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:45PM

During my time on a mission for LDS, Inc. we did service hours during the first 1.5 years. We worked at the zoo, helped build a ship for German Sea Scouts, took severely disabled people at a hospital for walks in their wheelchairs, helped the old folks play bowling at a nursing home etc. This really is the only part of my missionary experience I'm really glad for and proud of. We really accomplished more for the world and the church in those 4 hours a week than any other. It was much more fun and rewarding than handing out copies of the Book of Mormon.

Towards the end of my time the MP scratched service hours. No doubt there was pressure, which one could trace back to SLC via Frankfurt Main to get the baptism numbers up. I had a really hard time breaking the news to the lady at the nursing home that we couldn't come back, and I told her I didn't personally agree with the decision. Evil apostate in training, what can I say.

I doubt the numbers improved noticeably, but this was one experience among many others that irked me enough to leave.

If they want to help with yard work, or help you move it's probably a combination of a desire to help, a desire to do anything but knock on doors, and a desire to get you in the church. The relative weight of the motives will depend on the individual missionaries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.