Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:17PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/53634149-180/members-holocaust-letter-mormon.html.csp

The prophets have spoken...any bets on how long it will take for ChurchCo do disavow this First Presidency Message?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:21PM

The Lard indeed works in mysterious ways.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:23PM

They have done it before, and then continued to allow a system that is set up so such names can still be submitted. It's just window dressing so they can smile and tell Jewish groups that they are doing their best to address others concerns, but secretly taking delight that the work is still being done.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:29PM

Imagine this:

You're an investigator and it's your first time in the building. You walk over and see an announcement on the bulleting board about not baptizing dead celebrities and jews. WTF? :o

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:42PM

Classic! I bet they steer investigators away from the bulletin boards!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:35PM

From the letter:

"The letter further reminds members that that their “preeminent obligation” is to their own ancestors and any name submitted for proxy rituals “should be related to the submitter.'”

Aren't we all related? Aren't we all descended from Adam? So isn't the name of ANY person I submit someone "related to the submitter?"

By the way, Hitler and I are 12th cousins 5 times removed.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:53PM

It'll be interesting to see the reactions in my mission-field ward when this is read. I'll bet 99.99 percent of them won't understand why it's being done and I'll probably be the only to know why, har har har.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 06:21PM

it more of an urban myth

and the First Pres. is just speaking as men giving their own opinions.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 06:39PM

...to take the heat off themselves.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 06:43PM

What if you decend from Jews or Celebrities?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 06:53PM

Now, when Elie Wiesel complains that Mitt has done nothing to disclaim dead dunking, Mitt can just point to Tom's letter.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:38PM

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 10:17AM

The thing is: they don't require any real documentation to prove these people are related to you. My MIL is bats**t nuts about genealogy. You should see some of the people she claims the family is related to. Every time I turn around, it's a famous military hero.

She says stuff like "well, I thought so-and-so's name was 'Elizabeth,' but sometimes that is shortened to Lizzie, or Beth, or Betty, or Liz…" so she will just pick one of those she likes the best who has the right last name.

They require no documentation and can you imagine what an undertaking it would be to confirm six million claims of relation?

"if you're related" is code for /ignore

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 10:30AM

<sarcasm mode on>

So, if certain groups of people are now on the "don't baptize" list, how does TSCC fulfill its mission to "redeem the dead" if they are discriminating on who gets this saving ordinance?

<sarcasm mode off>

Folks, it is ALL about image, and TSCC can't stand it when that image gets tarnished. I hope this issue, the priesthood ban for Blacks, the intrusive interviewing of teens behind closed doors and other distasteful issues like this gain even more traction and shine the white hot spotlight on this cult and its weird doctrines. At some point, it might even make my TBM kids get some cog-dis. One can always hope.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 01:25PM

Aha!! Finally, a Monson revelation!!! Not as hard-hitting, perhaps, as The Hinkster's earrings pronouncement; but once again undeniable proof that Our Profit speaks.

And all it takes is external pressure (polygamy, black men and the priesthood). What a church. What a guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.