Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:51PM

For example, if I were to tell someone Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by putting a rock in a hat and putting it up to his face, waiting for words to appear in the darkness, a lot of young LDS would call me anti-Mormon. They wouldn't even realize it was the subject of a conference talk in 1997.

Or how about those of you who have told a missionary that Joseph Smith was a polygamist and shocked the CTR rings right off them.

If you teach that blacks were denied the priesthood because their dark skin was the mark of Cain, you'd be called a liar by people higher up in the church who learned the same doctrine before you were born.

If I wore a t-shirt to the Moneychangers mall that said Mormon 8:37, I'd be dragged out of there by security.

If you told someone who went through the temple last week about the pre-1990's temple endowment, they'd think you made it up from anti-Mormon lies.

Any other examples?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:56PM

all logic kinda stops there, doesn't it?

ferrets.

did the ferrets have to wear magic underwear while they were riding in the wooden submarines?

Luv ya, CAG. it's late here on the correct coast.

Let's go Yankees!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:08AM

The Devil uses rock and roll music to recruit followers

Science is inferior to Mormonism, because it uses the knowledge of man

Nothing is more important than your testimony (submission to Mormonism)

You'll never be successful without the gospel in your life (?)

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:17AM

Nice way to put it. Mormonism is unusual in many of its members' outright denial of its own past practices and doctrines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:17AM by derrida.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:29AM

You can hardly open up a mormon book without finding a good quote. The Mormon standard works are the best (present day) anti-Mormon material there is.

Dozens of good quotes in the JoD, including Brigham saying there was nothing he ever taught that wasn't scripture. That opens up all his racist comments as being from God.

History of the Church VII 99-103 tells of Joe dying in a gunfight and killing two people.

D&C 132 polygamy is necessary.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:38AM

You make it all up as you go along ... and when you just HAVE to make commentary on just about EVERYTHING in the entire universe!

There's bound to be a contradiction "here and there." : )

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:28AM

CA girl you are just so clever and so cool. I love your posts and I wish you lived in the UK! x

Date: March 24, 2012 02:01AM

Thanks. I wish I lived there too sometimes - I spent a summer studying in the UK and just love it there.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 03:29AM

My last day of church I brought up the GBH quote about God once being a man and, "I don't know that we teach that." It caused a bit of a ruckus, as no one believed he said it. Then later the Bishop sent a FAIR article to me that was forwarded to him by the EQ Pres, and told me that I committed an "error of logic."

I was surprised that quoting the Prophet gets you in so much hot water. And it wasn't even an old Prophet; it was the current one at the time.

Another time I asked my brother if anyone in the family besides him knew I was out. He said that he imagined all of them do. I asked how, and he said, "That quote by Joseph Feilding Smith that you posted on fb."

Yup, quoting even modern Prophets outs you.

Apparently lovely, virtuous, and of good report doesn't include what the Prophets say.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:15PM

DNA, I'm curious. What is your Joseph Fielding Smith quote?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:36PM

I don't remember now, but I think it made him sound racist. But it was a direct quote.

As cult members, we should never post anything that they said publically that isn’t lovely or of good report, even if it was in the Ensign.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 03:07PM

That was the thing that made me so crazy in the early days when I was discovering all this information. Here I was reading what was said to be antimormon lies, yet they were written by faithful record keeping saints.

By reading the prophets words first hand, the Holy Ghost was supposed to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, but instead it was awful feelings that I felt, and everyone knows that awful feelings come from Satan.

So the Holy Ghost was fleeing from me because I was reading the gospel as given to my ancestors and even to me, and the devil had a grip on me causing my testimony to waver for the very same reason. Even my Bishop and my StakePresident warned me that I was putting my family's salvation in jeopardy and to avoid those things.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:18AM

All churches are able to admit there were past mistakes in doctrines and actions, and even foolish leaders in their pasts. Why cant teh Mormons own their history?

Date: March 25, 2012 12:56AM

when he says that Mormonism is as good as/no different from any other religion because all of them have their problems and bad history and make mistakes. I say the problem is that Mormonism can't admit their mistakes - they have to be perfect because their claim is that they are perfect. Their religion is from God directly and they expect from you a sacrifice equal to receiving pure religion. They claim too much and they require too much. So they have to hide too much.

If they were just like any other religion, I then ask him, why can't we go to any other religion? He says Mormonism has better social programs and is a better way of life. Whatever!!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:21AM

I guess it's because you're quoting something which is embarrassing to them. It's the stuff they try to sweep under the carpet and ignore, and here you are highlighting it, so they get mad at you for doing so.

Posted by: truckerexmo ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:31AM

You should have heard the outrage in my mothers voice when I quoted Brigham Young when he said, "I think no more of buying another cow than I do of taking another wife". Gave her the place where she could find it. She was still acting like it was my fault!

Posted by: shannon/nli ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:32AM

I spent half the afternoon yesterday trying to convince a BIC Jack Mormon that Mitt Romney took death oaths in the temple promising to slit his own throat or disembowel himself if he ever revealed temple secrets. I tried to explain over and over that the temple ceremony changed in 1990.

Didn't believe me. Didn't care. Said I was reading crazy anti-Mormon lies on the internet.

Sigh . . .

;o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.