Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 02:44AM

Mitt's cousin, Park Romney, was "a committed member of the church" but "now denounces it as a cult."

"'I became convinced that it's a fraud,' Park Romney told the BBC, explaining his reason for leaving the Mormon fold."

"Park Romney's criticisms of the church are fundamental.

"Along with other ex-Mormons, he questions founder Joseph Smith's prophecies - for example Smith's translation of an Egyptian scroll, part of the Mormon book of Abraham, which Egyptologists say is a fraud."

"'There's compelling evidence that the Mormon Church leaders knowingly and wilfully misrepresent the historical truth of their origins and of the Church for the purpose of deceiving their members into a state of mind that renders them exploitable,' says Park."

"Ex-Mormons tend to be the church's most outspoken critics.

"One thing that particularly agitates them is 'shunning' - allegations that former church members are denied access to family members who remain in the church."

"Park claims this has happened to him.

"'I am alienated from my family,' he told the BBC.

"'Their doctrine, their protocol and their culture as enforced by bishops encourages the families to disassociate themselves from the apostate.'

"Mormon Church elder Jeffrey Holland denies shunning occurs.

"'We don't use that word and we don't know that practice.'"

"The Mormon Church maintains that it does a great deal of good. Its leaders say they have given more than $1bn in aid around the world since 1985.

"The allegation that the Church is a cult, made by Park Romney and other ex-Mormons, is denied by Elder Holland.

"'If that is what they believe, it's probably a good thing they leave, because we're not a cult.'

"'I have chosen this church because of the faith that I feel and the inspiration that comes, but if people want to call us a cult, you can call us a cult."

Okay, Holland, I will. Mormonism is - demonstrably - a cult. For generations, it has systematically misled millions of people about Joseph Smith, early church history, the Book of Mormon, and other key and foundational aspects of the LDS religion and organization. Since the early 19th century, it's employed fear, guilt, and shame to psychologically coerce obedience - and become very rich in the process. It's secretive and chronically dishonest, and would rather spend billions of dollars on expanding its already great wealth than saving lives and alleviating suffering - contrary to the admonition of Jesus, per the New Testament. It's a fundamentally unethical religious corporation and people will continue to leave it in droves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.