Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 03:55PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 06:33PM

I could talk a while about this. Top comments:

As organizations and how they both have top-down structures, they are remarkably and eerily similar...though the titles/areas have different names.

Both adamantly claim to be Christians, though both are far from the mainstream. JWs take their brand of bible interpretation and application to extreme (no revelation); mormons do whatever claiming divine guidance.

JW's have shunning as overt policy, mormons succeed at it more covertly. In either case, it's tough for any family members to leave without repercussions. Mormons are meticulous about record keeping and tracking people down; with JWs it's easier to disappear from the society/congregation.

Mormonism has lots of money and assets. JWs not so much, (they are a publishing company of usually-cheap books and tracts). Mormons like being worldly and in the spotlight. JWs not so much. Because of their faith in the Jehovah's upcoming "new system," JWs rarely invest time or money into anything long-term. Few have secondary education.

Both think they have the ultimate truth and live better lives because of it. The sole purpose of life for JWs is to promote (aka witness for) Jehovah.

Salt Lake City versus Brooklyn.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 06:59PM

They both throw crappy parties.

Posted by: chells ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:10PM

Having grown up LDS and having had a few very close friends who were JW's, I have to say, yes, there are some very eery cross-overs doctinally. The scariest thing they have in common is that both faith's believe they are the only ones with the truth and everyone else is wrong. Neither group (plus many other religions) have any room for freedom of expression. In their view, freedom of religion only applies to theirs. They both also discourage interactions with those "not in the fold." The JW's overtly, the Mormons more under cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 07:10PM by chells.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:13PM

I went to school with a lot of JWs. Just like the Mos, they acted normal around nonmembers. Also, to counteract the fact that they didn't celebrate holidays or birthdays, they had regular parties & friends over all the time.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:36PM

http://thejehovahswitnesses.org/things-jehovahs-witnesses-cant-do.php

141 things JWs cannot do.

I find #28 interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 07:37PM by deco.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:42PM

deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://thejehovahswitnesses.org/things-jehovahs-wi
> tnesses-cant-do.php
>
> 141 things JWs cannot do.
>
> I find #28 interesting.

LMAO Then every single last JW I ever knew was breaking **multiple** rules!

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 10:17AM

#28 Don't attend AA meetings, would be because you'd get a different brand of Christianity or a different interpretation of the gospel than what you were taught at Kingdom Hall. They would consider that worshipping a false religion/idolatry.

I thought #125 was hilariously ironic, especially if you know why they have all these rules. Most of the rules are based on superstitions. But they're not allowed to be superstitious. That one makes me LOL.

I dated a JW and he told me about the no birthday thing: He said there were only two birthday celebrations in the bible and both turned out to be bloodbaths. (It's also about not honoring a person over god, they can't elevate a person to a higher status than their Creator.) Really, so some people got killed at a birthday party 2,000 years ago, and that means little kids can't have a birthday cake? And that's not superstitious? Hilarious!

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:39PM

Well, the Jehovah's Witnesses I knew could drink whiskey.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:43PM

They both come to my door when I'm wearing pajamas and look like crap hahaha the JW's came this morning and I am way too nice to tell them to eff off...they gave me some invitation to an Easter thing...ugh. No thanks.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 12:13AM

From Wikipedia: Their most important and solemn event is the commemoration of the "Lord's Evening Meal", or "Memorial of Christ's Death"

There's always a push to get people to attend that.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:00AM

My horrifying experience with JW.

Had the lady coming and talking to me weekly. After one lengthy meeting of 1-1/2 hours, I walked her out to her car.

There was a sweaty 18 month old playing alone in her locked car.

I was shocked.

Anagrammy

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:27AM

This isn't right. We need to make a list of a 142 things that Mormons are not allowed to do. We can't allow the cult to get out crazied by a bunch of JWs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.