Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Astonished ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:53PM

On our doorstep in Utah County, we found on a handout for our teenage daughter about General conference. One of the suggested activites is to encourage your father and brother to go to Priesthood meeting tonight. You are to iron their clothes and polish their shoes and then record in your journal how this made you feel.

OMG. My daughter and I were laughing so hard--then my son and TBM husband joined in. It was just unbelieveable.

How come my son didn't get a similar handout encouraging him to iron his mother's and sister's clothes and polish our shoes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:54PM

Wow that is messed up. And according to TSCC, women have just as much value as men...right. Sickening.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:02AM

Oh my gosh. I don't know whether to laugh or be pissed on your behalf.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:06AM

Oh my hell! They really are still in the dark ages!

I've been married for 21 years. I've never in my life ironed a mans shirt or polished his shoes. He can do it himself! I'm not his wardrobe maid for crying outloud.

This dumb idea had to come from the 70 something crowd. My mother used to tell me if I didn't iron my husbands shirts he would divorce me. My response? Good!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:08AM

Yeesh.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:13AM

keep this handout and post it somewhere and mabey it will go viral!!!!

Date: April 01, 2012 12:22AM

Good Idea. Maybe you can send this to navigator 4309 so he can do a spoof on it.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:24AM

that would be a mighty short journal entry!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:30AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:33AM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:27AM

I would love to have a picture of that and post it on my FB titled "you have GOT to be kidding me!. Lol.
I wonder how many TBMs that got one thought this was the word of God and got right on that! Lmao!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:30AM

Wow! 0.o What a load of crap!

Being google-obsessed, I popped a few key words into it and voila:

http://lifedesigncraft.blogspot.ca/2012/03/dont-cheet-yourself-yw-general.html

Is that the one, Astonished?

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:21AM

Anyone notice the picture captioned "Cher, the Creator" to the right of the demeaning activity? Cher obviously has no problems stepping on the toes of her Heavenly Father! I'm surprised a woman with an iron and shoe polish would call herself that. Too bad we can't hack it and caption her photo with "Cher, the Slave to Men." GRRR.

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:38AM

Did you notice that ironing shirts is under "divine nature"? Yup, ironing men's shirts is women's God-given role.

By the way, the last picture shows a note page thing for writing things down as Monson speaks. On its top right corner, it tells you to COLOUR a drawing of suit jacket and tie with the colours he's wearing that day. You can't make this stuff up...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:33AM

I can't laugh over that. That is sexist and down right mean. Again, they make these girls know from an early age who is running the show and always will - the men.

Oh and I would also like to see the media get a hold of that and discuss it with Romney...does he agree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:34AM by honestone.

Posted by: Astonished ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:40AM

Yup, that's the one!

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:40AM

Holy.F**king.Sh*t. Must....resist......urge......to.....beat.....head....against....wall.....till.....I....pass.......out......
"Astonished", please, PLEASE post a photo of this handout or get it to somebody else who can do it and publicize it.
I totally believe you, because it's Utah County, but this NEEDS TO BE SEEN because it sounds too over-the-top even for Mormon batsh*ttery, and I think many never-Mos and also TBMs might not believe it, for different reasons. That's why it needs to be posted; THIS is what it comes down to for women in the cult, and it is absolutely unacceptable. I've got a keen sense of humor, but it would be a while before I could laugh that one off. I'd also share it with my kids; my daughter is 19 and already out of YW, but she hates that sort of thing, and my boys wouldn't have anything to do with that kind of crap either.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think this is even worse than Julie Barf's Mothers Who "Know"!!! :O

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I need a drink........

Date: April 01, 2012 12:41AM

never mind, there it is! good catch, spaghetti oh!

Date: April 01, 2012 12:43AM

Wait does it really say Don't "Cheet" Yourself instead of Don't CHEAT Yourself?! Okay, NOW I'm laughing.....

Date: April 01, 2012 12:53AM

Date: April 01, 2012 12:56AM

yeah, I realized that once I got there ;)
What's also sickening is the gushing comments posted by TBMs who think this is just the shiznit.

Date: April 01, 2012 01:08AM

...who think it is just fine to use guilt, shame, fear and threats of loss of salvation, to coerce the YW into listening to GC.

Sick, sick, sick!

Date: April 01, 2012 12:55AM

My generation (i'm 58) fought hard so todays women didn't have to live their life kissing a mans butt.

This makes me wonder if it was all for nothing.

Things girls today don't know:
women couldn't vote until 1923, I was born 30 years later.
In 1984 I couldn't get a credit card at Nordstrom (where I worked) because I was a woman.
1984 I couldn't buy a car without husband or fathers signature, even though I had been working for 12 years.
Getting a loan for anything, especially a house was impossible.
1979 My father had to sign the paper work so I could rent an apartment and buy a car so I could get to work and put a roof over my head.
1986 If I had wanted to go to Columbia university,(where my son is now going) they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a penis.

Bottom line, you couldn't do anything without a mans permission and signature. Even then there were place you would not be allowed to go, and experiences, and education you would not be allowed to have.
It seems to me that mormon women would gladly give all of the strides forward women made, so they can iron brother and fathers shirts, and shine their shoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 12:56AM by Mia.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:06AM

Wow, where did you live? I lived in HOlladay area. Got my own first credit at 16 at Morgan' jewelers. Got my own apt at 18.
Got my own car loan at 19. This was from 1974-1976.

I had a mentor who was 10 years older than I was, and encouraged me to do these things. So it sounds like alot changed in 4 years.

I am so glad my daughter (29) didn't live in a time like that.

I have to say that now at middle age I do all those female things.
But only because it's my choice. And the men in my life know that.
The mormon women in my neighborhood must have a different set of rules. There husbands are whipped and the women don;t work.

But it's sad to see girls or boys tuaght to think so little of themselves that they don;t think they have a choice in what they do with there time. I taught my kids boys and girls that each person in a partenrship should do what they are good at, and make sure everyone has free time.
Of course Utah county is like it's own planet. So I can see that someone would think it's normal to pass something like that around.

Date: April 01, 2012 01:09AM

Portland Oregon

Posted by: goldarn ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:38AM

It is a partnership. The females iron the pants and the men wear the pants.

That wasn't nearly as funny written down as it was in my head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 01:50AM by goldarn.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:57AM

Got.To.Be.Kidding.
But/Not/Funny

Posted by: Rena ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:20AM

Why do they even need to dress up for Priesthood session? They're sitting around on a Saturday night sleeping in front of a TV.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:37AM

"Tonight I am attending with a son, sons-in-law, and grandsons. Where are their mothers? Gathered in the kitchen of our home! What are they doing? Making large batches of homemade doughnuts! And when we return home, we will feast on those doughnuts. While we enjoy them, these mothers, sisters, and daughters will listen intently as each of us speaks of things he learned here tonight."

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/05/our-sacred-duty-to-honor-women?lang=eng

Nothing Freudian--or otherwise disturbing--about that!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:40AM

I wonder if the wimmins in Holland's family made doughdoughnuts?

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:45AM

I can almost guarantee that no RS conference has ever started with the words that DH is at home washing the dishes and putting the kids to bed. In fact, I'm surprised no RS Gen Pres hasn't called the meeting short so the women can get back home and get those kids tucked in. Dad's can only learn the fabulous functions of the remote control. Don't try teaching them the monotonous routine's of running a home. That IS a woman's "special" sphere...and you don't need the penishood to take care of that!

Posted by: Rose2008 ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:30AM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Tonight I am attending with a son, sons-in-law,
> and grandsons. Where are their mothers? Gathered
> in the kitchen of our home! What are they doing?
> Making large batches of homemade doughnuts! And
> when we return home, we will feast on those
> doughnuts. While we enjoy them, these mothers,
> sisters, and daughters will listen intently as
> each of us speaks of things he learned here
> tonight."
>
> http://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/05/our-sacred-duty-
> to-honor-women?lang=eng
>
>

I think one of the best ways to show how total warped this picture is is to translate it into a world that women run:

Women are the one's that have the priesthood and their leader is speaking in a meeting:

"Tonight I am attending with a daughter, daughters-in-law,and granddaughters. Where are their fathers? Gathered in the kitchen of our home! What are they doing? Making large batches of homemade doughnuts! And when we return home, we will feast on those doughnuts. While we enjoy them, these fathers, brothers, and sons will listen intently as each of us speaks of things she learned here tonight."

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 02:59AM

This reminds me of something. My TBM nephew's wife went out of town for a funeral. He posted on facebook about how he'd end up falling asleep on the floor in his clothes and that he'd have to eat the cardboard from the empty cereal box. He was joking around...I think. But the responses were crazy. A few people invited him over for dinner. Others expressed sympathy for his sitaution. His own sister suggested that his wife should have made meals and put them in the freezer for him before she left. Are you kidding me? She was traveling to another state with her one year old in tow and she's pregnant to boot. People are expecting her to fix him food before she leaves? In this day and age? I told him to go to the store and buy a box of cereal. He's a grown "adult" with a wife and child. He certainly ought to be capable enough to make himself something to eat.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:36AM

formermollymormon Wrote:
> This reminds me of something. My TBM nephew's wife
> went out of town for a funeral. He posted on
> facebook about how he'd end up falling asleep on
> the floor in his clothes and that he'd have to eat
> the cardboard from the empty cereal box. He was
> joking around...I think. But the responses were
> crazy. A few people invited him over for dinner.
> Others expressed sympathy for his sitaution. His
> own sister suggested that his wife should have
> made meals and put them in the freezer for him
> before she left. Are you kidding me? She was
> traveling to another state with her one year old
> in tow and she's pregnant to boot. People are
> expecting her to fix him food before she leaves?
> In this day and age? I told him to go to the
> store and buy a box of cereal. He's a grown
> "adult" with a wife and child. He certainly ought
> to be capable enough to make himself something to
> eat.

Mormon dudes are the most immature bunch of wankers I have ever seen. They only spend 2 years taking care of themselves (their moms do it before the mission, wives after). Then they go around telling everyone how they worked SOO HARD to get where they are today, and how they did it all on their own, etc. Married men who were working and in school said that all the time, like they didn't have someone making their lunches and raising their kids. I had one dude tell me his wife wasn't really working (staying at home with his many children) because she "could wear pajamas all day if she wants to". barf. The entitlement of it.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 08:37AM

As a (still) Mormon dude who is nothing like most other Mormon dudes, sadly I agree 100%.

One of the reasons I never really got in Mormonism, is because I never really got on with most Mormon men, considering them to be, well, wankers.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:14AM

You got that right @ formermollymormon. Lol those ppl bug!! Its like the mothers that don't go to church when their husbands are out of town becuz they can't get the kids ready by themselves. Ugh! I've been a single mom since day one basically and I used to always have my kids at church, school, and everywhere else... I've never had a "husband" to help with the kids.

No wonder these guys like to marry these molly mormon and then cheat on them with these freaky hottiez

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 03:44AM

please her man and do it in pearls and high heels then write about it so she can read it over and over. Will they ever let ANYONE think for themselves just once? What is a woman worth in their eyes? She does have a brain you morons. Freakn cult!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 03:47AM by FreeRose.

Posted by: S. L. Richards ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 04:08AM

Of course, being that Mormons are so honest, they would never steal a trademarked character to promote their religion like some moronic flyer using the Cheetohs character to promote General Conference insidiously to kids. If such a thing were sanctioned I would expect everyone involved to burn their recommends and garments, including Bishoprics and Relief Societies. And I would expect a sour speech during conference condemning such violation of the commandments.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 08:26AM

The whole thing is sexist and disgusting, but it's also teaching the girls manipulative and passive agressive behavior. After all, their future husbands probably won't be excited to go to PH session...therefore this is teaching the YW how to get them to go.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 09:52AM

Amen. In priesthood, bednar talked about how women would ask him advice on how they can get their husbands to be more tbm. And he used out as justification to hammer the men, on behalf of the wives.

Tauna Wrote:
> The whole thing is sexist and disgusting, but it's
> also teaching the girls manipulative and passive
> agressive behavior. After all, their future
> husbands probably won't be excited to go to PH
> session...therefore this is teaching the YW how to
> get them to go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.