Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 03:47PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mikeylikesit2 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 03:58PM

I have often wondered that. In military ranks there are enlisted soldiers and officers. The church is similar, so I think the corruption starts with the officers, or the 70's and on up. I don't know where mission presidents fit in but they buy their way to the mission of their choice so they must be in the officer ranks somewhere.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 03:59PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:08PM

who gets to see the audits that they themselves run?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:17PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 04:17PM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:27PM

I dunno. In general conference, they never mention indepentant audits. The party line is some gibberish along the lines of, "We have examined our own books in accordance with our own guidelines, and we are happy with them. Everything is AOK."

OTOH, I'm sure they have to do something every year to keep the IRS satisfied that they are a 501C3 organization.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:34PM

I've wondered about the same thing. Why rob banks? Because that's where the money is. Plenty of MLM scams among church members.

We have no way of knowing if there are any church slush funds. Plus, if someone at a high level was embezzling, I don't see the church making it public. Does every member keep every tithing slip and then check that their slips add up to the amount stated by the church? Probably not.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:37PM

There is so obvioulsy a "good old boy club" mentality running rampant in the ranks of mormonism that it is impossible not to be dishing out money to family and friends. It starts at bishop and stake president level with bussiness opportunities and referrals and continues in magnitude as it approaches the guys making the decisions on the appropiate ways to invest billions of dollars each year.

It's all a free lunch once you can have some say on where money goes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.