Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: May 11, 2012 12:23AM

I have been grappling with self acceptance in a world that has so many opinions about who I am to be, and specifically with family and community... Much of this of course relates to what so many of us experience as ExMormons...

I am turning to the work of Carl Jung (and some of the folks who have built their work based on his foundations) in this process and thought others may appreciate the following quotes and have their own thoughts on these facets... So much of his work is about self examination and the process of the internal journey which is so much of what one faces when they leave a religion. He refers to the term as 'individuation' which refers to a process of breaking away from a group...

His quotes follow:

“The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely”
— Carl Jung

"... it is just this that the modern man insists upon. He wants to live with every side of himself-to know what he is. That is why he casts history aside. He wants to break with tradition so that he can experiment with his life and determine what value and meaning things have in themselves, apart from traditional resuppositions.

-Carl Jung

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 11, 2012 12:27PM

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: May 12, 2012 12:05PM

archetypes, consciousness, group mind & memory Jung explores make noting one's own ego, ego states, and situational exploration in learning from previous or current experiences- its a vey great platform. Some one said there are many more wors for love, or meanings of love than in the english word, 'love.' possibly Jung's vocabulary and conceptualization gives an open ness to knowing or perceiving and exploring in both an inner, and then an outward exploration standing on the conceptulazations or vocabulary- each words or phrase in Jungian thought, has a concept beneath behind it, and given that vocabulary, one can explore differently.

perhaps the concepts expressed or explored, and the vocabulary and phrasing- limits or trains our thoughts and not only expressions of them but experiences and management internally through perceiving ideas differently. Vocabulary gives one the opportunity to not only to say but to think about certain things by naming or labeling an idea.

limited vocabulary means one is limited in one has the opportunity to say. limited expression of words conceptualy makes in inherently difficult to express a concept at least to others (in ways theyd understand at least.) When someone understands they may say, "now That's what I'm talking about" or something to that effect.

but what happens, what occurs, when conceptual words, idea framework words are not offered into the spoken vocabulary? How does one perceive or experience one's thoughts? in the metacognition?

Jung offers a unique and powerful platform conceptually both for inner exploration and outer communication. I think Jung was a very brave person, and appreicate them putting the conceptual base and words out there- not only into a dictionary but into a conceptual data base anyone can reference. That alone empowered everyone else.

Date: May 12, 2012 12:32PM

paintinginthewin...

I tend to like some of the Jungians work better than Jung himself. This all gave me an idea for a thread that I think would be worth exploring in the group.

Distinctions are indeed important. There are a lot of core distinctions from Jungian thought that I think are very valuable to the exMo experience. It would be great to see videos and articles specifically on the ExMo experience and Jungian thought.

There is a site I mentioned in another thread called 'rcauldron' which is rcauldron.com and you may enjoy checking it out and conversing there in some of the groups. It is just starting out and has not even had a major launch so a lot of it is in development, but it is a place for conversations like you seem like you may enjoy and connect to which would go beyond the relevant threads here.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 12, 2012 02:39PM

Maybe it's an age thing... the older I get the less I am concerned about who and what I am. I am just me, what I am today, my whole personality or only parts of it are open to anyone.

Sometimes I'm really very very happy, with a strong sense of inner peace and other days, I struggle with angst over ... a multitude of mundane things.

I have learned I am just a speck of dust on a planet in the universes that is only the size of a bead. It's kind of a "so what" attitude sometimes that works best and who will remember in 20 years anyhow! :-) Takes a lot of pressure off.

I took a lot of classes in Jungian philosophy over a decade ago. Gave me some new perspectives. Some very valuable, and some...well, not so much.

Some days, I figure, this is just one day in a few thousand, and it's no biggie, it's just one bunch of experiences in a multitude. No big insights, no great thoughts. Nothing intense, just life --- as is! :-)

I don't need approval, or acceptance -- it's nice if it comes along, but really, why would I care about what someone else thinks of me? Only a very few intimates!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 02:40PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 12, 2012 03:08PM

SusieQ... I am nearing a transition of a particular decade and I can tell that there is an almost 'shedding of the skin' occurring as far as an identity, pattern and perspective on the world. There are identity elements.

Like you, I think some elements of Jungian thought feel useful and some 'not so much' and I am still sorting out with some of those ideas what is what.

I know that it helps for me to find thought processes that are just different as reference points for me to form my own views and find my own central points of relating to myself and the world around me.

I very much feel like I am on a journey more than at a destination at this point. I don't entirely know the destination as most of us do not. I have seen people leave the LDS religion and go back. I find myself with close friends who are Mormon and sometimes I wonder if they will leave or stay.

I have tried to run from the conversations, and only found myself needing to face them and consider the nuances vs. just run away and as I mentioned in another thread 'prematurely transcend'. For myself I went through phases of just drinking, smoking and for the most part being angry and not dealing with the more nuanced layers of emotions I have as a person.

Part of the process is further coming to accept what I feel and being willing to share it as I understand it more. Part of self acceptance is clearly self awareness. I have had some parts of myself that I have been aware of and other parts where I was far less conscious.

I can feel a need to blog about some things as I say this and/or to work further with a journal practice I am considering. Thanks for your thoughts here.

Posted by: Owl ( )
Date: May 12, 2012 03:35PM

One of my favorite quotes is:
"You wouldn't care so much what people think of you if you knew how seldom they do."

People are too consumed with their own lives to notice you as much as you think they do. I never do -- or not do -- something out of fear that someone else may not agree with my choice. What a waste of time and energy in the long run... and in the big picture. Living this way is so liberating and just plain enjoyable. I trust my own judgement more than anyone else's. If someone has a problem with my choices, it's their problem, not mine.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: May 12, 2012 06:36PM

"You wouldn't care so much what people think of you if you knew how seldom they do".

Owl, I love that quote, had not heard it before. Thank you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.