Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 12:57AM

Yesterday I met a couple who walked away 15 years ago, a few years after being sealed in the temple. I asked why. It was purely a lifestyle choice.

They argued over whether to pay tithing on gross or net before they stopped paying altogether.

They hid the coffee when relatives came to town.

Then they hid the wine, when they were comfortable enough to have wine.

Then they moved a thousand miles away.

They still get contacted and have had people show up at their house. They acted shocked that they were located.

Their daughter, who was blessed as an infant in tscc, has been contacted in her teenage years.

I was surprised to hear these things even though I've read it here. They didn't care about the history and never resigned. But, his eyes did bug out when I told him about the Book of Abraham, Smith's multiple wives, etc.

As a nevermo, I've found it hard to believe people are tracked down or even that they feel the need to hide their coffee drinking. I've gotten face to face confirmation. Sometimes vision is a component of group dynamics. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 01:00AM by thingsithink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:19AM

They probably didn't care about history, because they didn't know about it.

I wonder if they'll go home and start doing some research.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:30AM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 02:05AM

LOL. No. But when I'm sitting in front of a computer all alone, I can't help but wonder, is this real? Even though I was engaged to a so-called mormon and experienced some of the crazy stuff, that was long ago. I've found it hard to believe tscc would actually keep track of people and contact them 15 years later. Or someone hiding their coffee drinking. Or someone really not knowing the history. Quite bizarre.

Even now, the husband was a bit reluctant to criticize tscc and even claimed the prophets were good people who do good. It was fun to see the look on his face when I told him Smith had over 20 wives or that egyptologists debunked the BoA. But he'd slip up occasionally and call the temple "nonsense" and so on. It helped that we were drinking beer and shooting pool. The longer we talked, the more he let out.

I think Mia's right. He'll probably go home and get on the internet.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:03AM

Each well to do couple is worth $5-$10k a year in tithing. A little investment in tracking down inactive members pays off. If you reactivate one in ten, the cost benefit is worth it.

It costs less to reactivate than to convert. missionaries still cost LDSinc more than a bishop or hometeachers.

thingsithink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've found it hard to
> believe tscc would actually keep track of people
> and contact them 15 years later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 08:05AM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:23AM

so I'm guessing the Cult is out about 1/2 a million from me because I've never given them a f******g cent!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 06:50AM

It's good to get confirmation that you did the right thing by leaving.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 03:48PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 07:24PM

No, I wasn't jiving when I said that my friends who haven't been to church since 1962 still have regular contact from their Home/Visiting Teachers. They're still on the Ward List and they still get called "Brother," and, "Sister."

They have no interest in the LDS Church whatsoever, but I guess they're just too polite to tell them to get lost.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 12:20AM

Whenever my Catholic wife got called "sister" she'd just about have a meltdown....

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:37AM

You can't make this stuff up. That's why this site has been around so long.

If everyone was making their stories up this site would fade into oblivion because nobody could relate.

It's the common experiences that connect one poster to another. There is a strong need for validation when you've been through the mormon experience, only to find out you've been scammed.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:09AM

"weird shitometer" (borrowing from MIB).

I can understand how a nevermo would have a hard time believing that people would EVER buy into it.

I've seen the looks on people's faces when I tell them things about my Mormon experience. One of my best (nevermo) friends who lived in Utah valley and attended BYU, had NO CLUE about some of it, and was absolutely floored when I told her stuff after I left the church. Stuff that I didn't even think was that big of a deal (like bishop's interview stuff).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.