Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Once ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:14AM

Just talked to a mormon friend about their "Fast & Testimony" meeting yesterday. I asked how they enjoyed it and if anyone gave a particularly interesting testimony.

My mormon friend mentioned the testimony of a member suffering from terminal cancer who has very little time to live. The member's testimony was given in a very weak voice, but she felt it was very poignant.

Among other things, the member said they felt completely at peace about their impending death, because they had "magnified all the callings" they were given.

This story left me wondering, "Why didn't their testimony include anything about the importance their family, the significance of Christ, making an effort to live the "Golden Rule," each may have played in their "peace of mind."

It begged the question, "Why don't more more mormons come to the realization that the ultimate goal of the Mormon Church is that its members place the church, and its wishes, before all else in this life?" Before their own family, before their own best interests and even before Christ, the one who most Christians agree, ultimately decides the quality of their after-life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:16AM

So sad that this dying Mormon didn't realize it. It also sounds like said dying Mormon might be trying to convince themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 11:21AM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:19AM

Work work work work work work work work work work work work work

Then you are saved. Well done thou good and faithful servant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 11:21AM by menomore.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:30PM

sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice sacrifice

> It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.
-- Ayn Rand

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:22AM

Yes, someday, when you are lying on your deathbed, you are going to regret falling away from the church. You will think to yourself,
"I wish I had spent more time in church meetings."

Nah, I don't think so.

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 05:58PM

While I lie there dying, I won't have to worry about my salvation and exaltation as I have neices and nephews whom I can trust to petition the profit for restoration of my blessings. Once that gets approved, the sealing to my non-loved nor loving ex will provide me with an army of heavenly mothers as my wives. This way I get to do what I want here and still get all the goodies. Is mormonism great or what?

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:29AM

Corporations provide goods and services, but ultimately corporations exist to make money. Quite often the product suffers in the quest to maximise profits, but the employees are pushed to produce more for the least possible wages and benefits and be loyal, even if the quality suffers, because the board of directors is responsible for the highest possible return for the corporation. The employees can only hope for a decent retirement after giving their entire life for the corporation.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:36AM

When I die I won't by lying there thinking: I wish I'd found a way to make that class full of naughty kids behave, instead of taking tho their parents.

I wish I hadn't packed those girls up and brought them home from girls camp early when it was pouring down rain.

I wish I'd given more talks, kissed more butts, played into the sp abusive ways.

I wish I'd done more to support the scout leader that was raping his daughters. Or the RSP that was defending her rapist son.

I wish I'd read the BoM over and over.

I wish I'd stayed in an abusive church full of abusive people so my parents could feel good enough to keep talking to me.

Nope. None of this is what I'll be thinking.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 12:01PM

Just Once said, in part: "Christ, the one who most Christians agree, ultimately decides the quality of their after-life."

Silly person!

You mean Joseph Smith!!!!!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:04PM

I knew a man who spent the final years of his life constantly worrying about having been "good enough".

He had been a pretty wild youth but when he married his wife (who really was a saint) he changed his path. He eventally became a doctor and both of them spent 50 years serving TSCC. In retirement he generously donated his time and medical expertise. They were both genuinely kind and generous people.

After her death, he worried constantly if his good acts had balanced the scales enough that he would be worthy to join her in heaven; rather than enjoy the time he had left with the people he loved still here.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:09PM

which was debunked and destroyed in the American South by the Civil War, rose up and flew west, and settled itself like a suffocating wet rug over the Mormon rank-and-file idiots in Utah.

They SO deserve it.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 03:21PM

My Mom used to say the "Mormons work like ants." [she was not a Mormon] She was right. This thread made me think of that. I sure miss her.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:03PM

Sounds like a special kind of dumb ass. I know the type and feel for them. Members can freak out about all kinds of stuff on the death bed. Admittedly, I'm hopefully not near that point in life, but when I pause to take inventory of what is important and what I project upon the end of my life, I hate to think that I would be soiling my adult diapers wishing I had had pursued better sexual relationships or satisfied my own lusts. Whishing I had "servered" an institution sounds Moonie-ish. That kind of crap breaks my heart. And as I deal with understanding my own "programing" and how I relate to the world, I cannot help but think kids in the congregation seeing and internalizing the "value" in his life. Thinking to himself that this old person has the wisdom and life experiance and this is the issue to be at peace with or to resolve. I knew folks that worked in a temple presidency, and the ammount of time they put into it was ungodly - pun intended. I guess it has kept them alive feeling they have purpose, but what have they done?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:00PM

The unofficial Mormon mascot is the honey bee, an unsexed creature that works itself to death for the benefit of the hive.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:26PM

The Atonement only covers sins of Commission, NOT sins of Omission. Pretty much every mormon knows that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.