Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:24PM

You know who you are!

Got a very nice email from a fellow poster today, part of which I'd like to share:

"Like many RfM’ers, I lurked for quite some time before I registered and posted. I noted that the occasional poster “Eric K” had set up RfM and I wondered what he was like ... Tears sprang to my eyes as I watched the video, even upon seeing the initial written words “You are not alone.” Then Eric’s words, voice, and body language all expressed the very anguish and sorrow I had been feeling as I had learned more and more about the truth about the church."

Here's the clip in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS58S-xPdzI

Never doubt that one person can make a huge difference.

Thanks, Eric!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 01:25PM by Timothy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:47PM

RFM has been marked "favorite" on my computer for years. Thanks, Eric. After experiencing the shunning that is denied by mormon authorities yet practiced by members, it was a joy to find a website that addressed the difficulties of leaving the cult.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:10PM

Those who run RfM have helped hungreds of thousands of recovery exmos and have saved actual lives many times over.

Date: September 28, 2010 02:25PM

I have video interviews with everyone except Susan I/S!

She got pissed and refused when I told her she had to wear clothes!

Timothy

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:09PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:15PM

Date: September 28, 2010 03:46PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:56PM

Let the lady do or say whatever she wants is my advice. : )

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:23PM

You are a trial to your poor looong suffering admin. And the request was for YOU to wear clothes ;)

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:42PM

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:14PM

LOL

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:19PM

I've been around for a couple of years, and I had never see that video before. A great, great video.

While none of us can be Eric, many of us can make our own videos, and those videos will be seen by a few, or several hundred, or even possibly thousands of people, and we can make a difference. We can help people feel that they are not alone, and that their doubts and disbelief are NORMAL.

I am really not surprised (but very pleased) to find that Eric has made this video, and hope more people will be willing to do so.

Date: September 28, 2010 05:19PM

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:30PM

Date: September 28, 2010 04:50PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:53PM

Date: September 28, 2010 05:10PM

Guess I oughta pay closer attention to my knobs!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 05:11PM by Timothy.

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 09:02PM

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 02:50AM

sayhitokolob4me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

I couldn't get any sound at all. And while I'm on,I send a GREAT big thankyou to everyone that posts here. I haven't shared my story yet,but I'm so greatful that you all share yours. Leaving the lds church after 57 years,with 4 kids and dh still very active,being shunned by best friend in ward-well I'm sure most of you can relate to all or some of it. I am on this board at least 2 hours a day. I also go to a few othersBut I like this one because you get new subjects every day. Some of which I have responded to. THANKS everyone.

Posted by: donnabanta ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:00PM

Great to see this again, Tim.

Date: September 28, 2010 05:08PM

What a luxury!

Wish I hadn't been so rushed that evening. I quit doing that. Still owe you guys a steak dinner and beer!

Timothy

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:04PM

I'm a coward and techno-klutz.

I'd love to "like" this on my facebook page but don't want to post it myself. Is it on FB?

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 09:15PM

It is now in wall on Facebook. Feel free to "like" it there and even to comment on it.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1302296073

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 02:22PM

So I post Eric K.'s youtube video on my facebook page and first thing you know, my nephew-in-law (who I never, ever hear from) writes back. And, being grateful for the opportunity, I responded.

September 29 at 8:54am
Why would you post this video? To promote this guy's website? There are many out there that lose faith in their religion for one reason or another. You don't think we haven't had our faith in our Church tested over the years many times. [Twinker], it doesn't matter to us or effect our believe because someone for some reason became an unbeliever. He seems like a good guy, I hope he found what he was looking for. I know he didn't find fault in the Gospel of Jesus Christ which our Church is based on. At least I would guess not. I also assume that he didn't expect all the members to be perfect either. I just need you to know that I know the Church is true and teaches wonderful doctrine, moral values, hard work ethic, love your fellow man no matter what, etc. Someone else's lack of understanding is sad but it doesn't effect my knowledge and belief. If I weren't a Mormon I would want my friends, especially the friends of my children, to be Mormons. There is not a better group of people to know on the face of this earth. We love you and hope things are going well.

{Nephew]

P.S. - You should watch General Conference on TV this weekend if you need a spiritual boost.

Hi [Nephew],

Thanks for taking the time to send me a facebook message.

You asked, "Why would I post this video". I guess I would say for the same reason the LDS Church sends out missionaries all over the world: because they believe they have something important to say that they want others to hear.

No, I didn't send it to promote Eric's website. But I do find him to be articulate, intelligent, and sincere in sharing what he believes and helping others who have come to the same crossroads. He is a man of personal integrity and independent thought. I like his demeanor, his honesty, and his tolerant, non-confrontation voice of reason.

I did not post that link to convince anyone to change their beliefs. I recall one of the Articles of Faith (#11?) says: "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." If the missionaries knock on my door I wish them luck but tell them I'm not interested. I would assume anyone reading my posts could do the same.

You said that you know he didn't find fault in the doctrine upon which the LDS church is built. But that isn't true. He DID find fault and could no longer support something he came to know as false.

You said, as most members do, that you know the Church is true and teaches wonderful doctrine, moral values, hard work ethic, love your fellow man no matter what, etc. I would agree that many of the church's teachings of moral values are valid. I wouldn't agree with all of them, however as I do not believe drinking coffee, alcohol, using tobacco, or admitting one's inborn, intractable sexual orientation are moral issues. I also do not believe that decency and morality are exclusive to Mormons. It is my experience that most people share the most basic values of kindness, fairness and honesty. I also do not agree with the standard statement of members, "I know the church is true". One CANNOT know it's true - even if it were to turn out to be. -To state that one knows the truth of something unknowable demonstrates a lack of understanding of what it means "to know". What members actually experience is an emotional feeling, trust, and belief. But it isn't knowledge. Knowledge requires verifiable evidence.

Members often state that non-believers, or apostates, or exmormons should get their information about the church from members. I will guarantee to you that I know more about the Mormon church than 95% of the believing members. Like many members, I am also a 6th generation descendent of Mormon pioneers and share the same history. I have read and studied extensively. I know the doctrines of the church as well as any member. I also know the church's history and its changing doctrines - something that is kept from members. If the church were true, the authorities wouldn't need to work so hard at keeping members from reading damaging material. The church should be able to stand on its own merits and not fear the information that is out there. In fact, members would only need to read so called authentic Mormon sources to find the discrepancies and troubling issues. For instance: On the church's own genealogy site, http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/af/individual_record.asp?recid=7762167
one can find that Joseph Smith married over 30 women - 1/3 of which were already married to other men and 1/3 of which were under the age of 18 including Helen Mar Kimball who was only 14. I'm not surprised that the church authorities wouldn't want members stumbling upon that information. Most of today's current members do not know about his polygamy and polyandry and do not know that Joseph Smith kept that information from the majority of his followers. Nor do they realize it was that practice of marrying underage girls and already married women that was the real reason for his persecution and that of his sincere followers.

You guys have always been happy in the church and have found that it meets your needs. But because others don't believe in it, or worse, consider it a mind-controlling cult, doesn't mean that every statement is an attack on members. People are just saying what they believe.

Please know that I love you guys and wish you no ill will. And please know that what I believe to be true about the church is not in any way a reflection of my affection and caring for all of you!

Love,
[TWinker]

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 08:57AM

That was quite an exchange. Your response was well stated. It makes the case for it being a cult once again when he says "If I wasn't a Mormon I would want my friends to be Mormon, and my kids friends to be Mormon. There is no better group of people around" WHAT???? You are not of that belief but want all those around you to be??? If that is not brainwashing I don't know what is. And yes, Eric did find fault in the basics of Mormonism. Can't he view something and figure that out???

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 09:38AM

Excellent.

I particularly appreciate the piece on "knowing."

Thanks.

Date: September 29, 2010 02:37PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.