Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 03:47PM

I'm expecting to hear crickets with this question, but you never know. For those not from there, it was settled in BY's day by Mormons, so to this day, there is a big Morg presence there, something like 2 stakes and 12 or so wards for a population of probably 20,000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 07:39PM

Yes.

Date: July 16, 2012 09:37PM

The little towns at the southern part of the valley are very mormon. Alamosa and north not so much. I'd say the population is about 40% Catholic, 40% mormon and the rest protestant or something. There used to be a few Japanese Buddhists but they've mostly died off.

Lately there have been quite a few Amish moving in too.

As far as I know I'm the only exmo in the Valley or at least the only one who considers himself exmo. I know lots of jackmos but no open apostates.

I've never heard about the Catholic Jews and would like to know more. There used to be a large number of Penitentes but they've all died off too. I wonder if they could be descended from the Jews?

Edited to add: This thread was supposed to come after Richard The Bad's thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 09:38PM by Charley.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 01:43AM

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:19AM

Hi Charley,

check this out, very interesting:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/san-luis-valley.html

Date: July 17, 2012 11:05AM

Thanks for the article Richard. That's fascinating. I knew a woman named Valdez who died young of cancer. This is the first I've heard about the Jewish ancestry. A lot of the Hispanics here think of themselves as Spanish rather than Mexican. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 06:59PM

The Spanish were the first white folk to settle in America.
These days there are a lot of SW Hispanic people who believe they might be Jewish (via Spain). They are joining Messianic Congregations like crazy.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:14PM

Came from Arizona, over from Pagosa but turned off at south fork and up 149 for some camping. Beautiful country you have there.

How strong is the church there? Any other exmoes?

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 08:25PM

As Spanish land grant country the morg can't possibly be as strong as the Catholic church can it? Interesting place for many reasons. I forget what they are called, but there was a large group of jews who went underground as Catholic during the inquisition and settled there.

Also one of the largest known concentrations of Folsum archaeological sites in the nation in that valley.

It's also where I learned how to make green chili. Although I never livee there, I have lots of good memories of the place.

Posted by: anon4thisone ( )
Date: July 16, 2012 09:51PM

She said there are lots of mormons there.

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:13AM

I lived in Alamosa several years ago, with my ex-wife while working for a big box retail store. Nice place. I thought it had a good sized mormon population for being outside the morridor.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:16AM

I know some folks in the valley. I wonder if any of you are relatives?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 10:31AM

I grew up in Sanford. Originally established as a Mormon community by the name of Ephriam, companion community with Manassa. Later moved the town, due to water problems, and renamed it Sanford after one of the leaders, if I remember correctly.

Date: July 17, 2012 11:13AM

Rattledaysnakes, I'll bet we're related. They say that if you're related to a certain family in Sanford you're related to them all. There are also quite a few descendants of John D. Lee in the Sanford area. The King Sisters were the most well known.

Lately I've been trying to figure where Ephraim was located. Must have been near the river if it was so swampy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 09:40AM

Charley, I'm very curious to find out if we know each other. Here is my email address if you care to identify yourself: rattledaysnakes@gmail.com

Date: July 18, 2012 03:59PM

Check your email.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 12:08PM

My mom's adoptive father was from Manassa.

I think my family name also has roots in the area. It's basically the Smith version of Spanish names.

Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 03:15PM

Good to hear from you, Charley. I asked because DW and ALL her family live in the valley (mostly Alamosa). I actually lived there for a couple of years, years ago. You're right--very strong LDS presence in Sanford, La Jara, Manassa.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: July 17, 2012 04:28PM

She's Catholic, but has some funny stories about Mormons.

Posted by: Anonnow ( )
Date: July 18, 2012 04:14PM

Both my parents are from there and I'm descended from Sanford Smith through one line. I'm probably related to a few of you. My family used to go back and stay along the Conejos river in the mountains every summer.

Posted by: SuzyQ ( )
Date: July 30, 2012 12:11AM

Helloooo! Here I sit in Sanford, from long line of Sanford and Manassa Mormons. I'm not the only exmormon in town but it sure feels like it most of the time. I'd love to get in touch with other real live people like me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.