Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:03PM

There is only one time a year when the Bishop meets personally with every family or individual in his ward. Appointments are made and phone calls are made. Even talks in sacrament meetings remind members that it is December and they must meet with the bishop for TITHING SETTLEMENT, not for Christmas chat or well wishes, not for spiritual growth or even worthiness interviews, but to tell the bishop if you had PAID a full tithe and to give more cash if you haven't.

When I was new in the church and would hear of people not renewing TRs, I wondered why, what were they not doing, most seem fine to me. Later I learned that a big problem in our stake was tithing.

When I was YM President, we had to be reminding our bishop about the girls' birthdays so hat we could interview them.

When I served as RS president, many times the bishop delegated to me to assess the needs of a family in need, he really didn't want to do this and appreciated when I was the intermediary. No time for people's affairs that someone else can look after or that can be postponed. However, any bishop I had made the time to do tithing settlement.

When families needed help, the first question was are they paying tithing? If not, they wouldn't receive any assistance, period, end of conversation.

When I stopped paying tithing I was serving in a calling, still had a TR, contributed to anything we were asked for in the ward, did my VT and because I was doubting the church I tried hard to enjoy whatever I did. I was at church more hours than the average member and did church things for a few hours every week. When the bishop asked if I was paying tithing and I said no, he got mad and released me at once. I know I was working very hard because one that is my nature and also because I didn't want them to think I was lazy, I loved my calling and I knew that would be my last calling. But that was not enough, if I didn't pay tithing I might as well not attend church. The day that bishop released me was my absolute last confirmation that money is the most important thing in the lds church, any doubts I still had were gone. Thank you bishop.

What are your experiences? Do you think tithing is more important than anything else in the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:11PM

I'm going to go with "obedience".

Besides obedience covers paying tithing so there isn't a conflict.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:12PM

yeah it's kind of like asking the genie for countless wishes as one of your wishes.

Obedience is perfect

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:32PM

I've actually thought about this a lot.

Obedience is the only thing in the church not subject to change. Tithing used to be the law of consecration.

Nephi murdering Laban was fine because he was being obedient - never mind, thou shalt not kill. Obedience always trumps all other commandments.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:19PM

"obedience" and "dedication" can be measured in many different ways (without demanding money).

For LDS Corp, it's all about the money. That's one reason they're an international conglomerate. Money...

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:40PM

Mind-numbing obedience breaks many Mormons of their ability to say "no," even to things that their instincts are screaming against. Buy food and "steal" from TheLord or buy cheaper food lacking in nutrition and skip a few meals to pay TheLord what is rightfully his? Keep the roof over the family's head by honoring one's commitment to the lender to pay the mortgage on-time or pay TheLord his 10%? Take little LaDawn to the dentist or fork-it-over for TheLord? By the way, now that you've canceled LaDawn's dental appointment, you both have time to help clean TheLord's latrines.

One of my favorite "WTF, Brethren?" moments was reading that excommunicated members are not allowed to pay tithing but can give their tithing money to someone else to pay on their behalf. Can they have another member take the sacrament on their behalf? Nope. How about offer the invocation or give a talk on their behalf? Nope. See how generous TheBrethren are to allow the shamed to continue to line TheLord's pockets via a worthy middle-man. I wonder how many guilt-ridden, excommunicated Mormons pay more than 10% with the hope that TheLord will see how truly repentant they are and offer early readmission to the club.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:15PM

Absolutely. Positively. In all the years (decades) that I've been associated with LDS Corp, it has ALWAYS been about the money. They want it, and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.

They took money from my mother when she was on her death bed.

They tried to get my father to sign over his house to them - and go in a nursing home (paid by Medicare). Whay? Because they want the money.

It's only about the money.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:17PM

Another one that makes me sick..

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:15PM

Oh my, really? He wanted your dad to sign over his house, why? What was the excuse for that? That could not be tithing. What a horrible man.

With all this horrible tithing stories someone should publish a book, something like "Horror Tithing Stories from Zion". And to think there are many behind each story told.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:42PM

deconverted2010 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all this horrible tithing stories someone
> should publish a book, something like "Horror
> Tithing Stories from Zion". And to think there
> are many behind each story told.
======================================
Oooh, oooh! What a neat idea for an eBook! I'm not an X-Mo so I can't contribute any stories... but I have a LOT of experience doing covers and layouts and I'd be very happy to help!

Who wants to write a book? If you want to use a nom de plume that's fine, at least I think so.

Posted by: hereticLamanite ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:17PM

I'd go with tithing. You actually can answer 'No' to some of the questions in the temple recommend interview and still make it to the temple. Some bishops often advise you to go to the temple to help you gain 'strength' to get through whatever sinful episode you are in. However, say 'No' to the tithing question and you just wont make it. Bishops often put you through a trial period, let's say 3 months of paying tithing to let you go in.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:25PM

Yes, after "obedience", tithing is the most important law of TSCC. It's the only one that gets it's own special interview annually. Even the TR interview is only every 2/3 years (if I recall correctly). They don't routinely give general worthiness interviews, or special sex worthiness interviews, but tithing is different.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:26PM

I'd have to agree. Its the one question they ask at the end of every year. Its a wonder why they don't include the Law of Tithing as a temple covenant. I guess its because you need to pay tithing to go to the Temple in the first place.
For bishops, tithing is the one thing that is a tangible display of a person's willingness to go along with the program.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:32PM

Brethren,adieu Wrote:
> For bishops, tithing is the one thing that is a
> tangible display of a person's willingness to go
> along with the program.

Exactly. It's the real test of somebodies commitment - their own money - and not a small amount of it either.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:48PM

Brethren,adieu Wrote:
Its a wonder why they
> don't include the Law of Tithing as a temple
> covenant.

I covenant to give my time, talents, and everything I possess to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...

Date: July 25, 2012 06:18PM

Ah yes, of course! Thx for the reminder!

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:29PM

Posted by: RM ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:30PM

Anecdote told by my bishop.
A returned missionary met TS Monson and asked him what was the most important thing he should do for the rest of his life.
Answer: "Pay your tithing".

Date: July 25, 2012 06:21PM

Jesus to the young man who wanted to know what to do to get into heaven-"Sell all that you have and give to the poor."

Monson-"Give your money to my church."

Posted by: gnosticguru ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:36PM

Tithing--absolutely. I was a full-fledged member, obeying all the "commandments", etc. I hadn't been to the temple for years; my daughter was planning on a mission and wanted me to go to the temple with her. She really wanted me there with her! At the time I had lost my job, unemployment benefits had run out--I was living on food stamps and not much else. I was one step away from that recommend, but I wasn't paying tithing. My bishop said he was sorry, but couldn't issue the recommend-- he said he talked to the SP about it, and the SP said NO. I was really disappointed, but I put it "on the shelf" in the back of my mind, with everything else. But then that shelf finally came crashing down under the weight of all the accumulated doubts.

It's actually extortion, for you're told you can't be together with your family unless you go to the temple. And Mormons can't go to the temple unless they pay a FULL tithe. And if you work for the church, they know exactly how much you make. You will lose your job if you don't pay up!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 11:26PM by gnosticguru.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:42PM

Obedience is the lever that makes you pay tithing in the first place.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:45PM

Yes, tithing is the most important thing to the church. The measure for this is acceptance into the temple, since according to the church, gaining entrance is gets you the keys to heaven.

You can break pretty much any other rule and be forgiven, right there in the temple interview (or as some have pointed out, they will give you a temple recommend to help "strengthen" you with whatever you're "struggling" with)

The most important thing is NOT obedience. What do they care if you are obedient? Sure that that may be the lever they use to get you to pay tithing, but there are plenty of people, even on this board (which isn't very obedient), who pay tithing for family or other reasons and can keep their recommend. You can be completely disobedient and still get a temple recommend if you are paying your tithing.

I personally know of people who have:
- Cheated on their spouses (they were told not to tell their spouse, they did because they felt it would be dishonest to do otherwise)
- Sold drugs and admitted it in the interview and were temple married a few weeks later.
- Physically abused their spouse and still hold a temple recommend, even though there has been witnesses against them.

Some Bishops may be more strict than others in letting things pass, but most can and will let anything slide if you appear earnest enough in an interview that you are trying. They may give waiting periods or other probation, but ultimately if you want a temple recommend, the only thing you have to do is pay your tithing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 05:47PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 10:09AM

You can be disobedient and answer the questions any which way and still go to the temple if you are a full tithe-payer.

I once said to an interviewer that I was committed to Jesus but not Joseph Smith. That was fine. I once said I had many non-member and apostate friends. He didn't care because I had income, assets, and four sons and was paying. I wish I had stayed long enough to declare myself a harlot....

Furthermore, when I asked the Arizona bishop to help my stranded teenager, he didn't ask if I was obedient. He needed to check with my bishop, on a weekday, if I was a member in good standing, which we all know is code for full tithe-payer.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:53PM

Abolished.

The whole chapter 7 of Hebrews explains in detail why the Law of Moses is supplanted by the grace of Christ.

Verses 1-10 explain who Melchizedek was compared to Abraham and Moses (Levi) when considering the Law and the Old Testament commandments. These verses use the OT commandment of tithing as an example; how even Levi (being in the loins of Abraham) paid the tithe to Melchizedek.

The remaining verses explain Jesus is more important than Melchizedek, and incidentally at verse 18, the former OT commandment of tithing was abolished (KJV, "disannulled") because it is weak and unprofitable compared to the better hope, which is in Christ.

It is remarkable when one reads the NT again "for the first time".

Peace.

Posted by: gnosticguru ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 11:23PM

That's when I knew the whole church was a fraud-- when I read the New Testament for the first time with out prejudice. Wow! Joseph Smith essentially disannuled the New Covenant and regressed to the abrahamic/Mosaic law. Brigham Young took it even further with his blood atonement for sins he deemed unforgiveable. Adultery? Didn't Jesus save the adultress from being stoned and forgave her? The temple ceremony was based on the Masonic ceremony, which was based on some supposed ancient ritual of Solomon. He actually regressed to the time before Christ, but couldn't very well throw out the entire Jesus principle, since that's what he founded the church on. All that mumbo-jumbo temple stuff, polygamy and tithing was mere repackaging of an old Hebrew belief system, and he sold it to the ignorant masses. What a salesman!

And someone mentioned "fire insurance". That's exactly what I repeatedly heard in church (but not from the pulpit).

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:17PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 06:18PM by Samantha Baker.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 06:53PM

YES!!! Pay pay pay pay pay pay....or else you go to Hell!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 09:36PM

Fire Insurance, that's what they actually call tithing. It will keep you from burning as chaff with the wicked when the Second Coming happens. And that could be any time.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 01:35AM

"Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 05:37AM

The law of defending lies and liars is a close second.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 07:55AM

That, and Law of Chastity.

Sex : Money = Law of Chastity : Law of Tithing

You can NOT enter the tample if you don't conform to these two laws....Absolutely NOT.....

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:28AM

when it suited him, Brigham Young just dumped tithing.
Funny how that is NEVER mentioned in any LDS lesson manuals !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwkFavjPsdE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 09:29AM by lucky.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 26, 2012 09:52AM

interesting. I wasn't paying tithing and my bish wouldn't release me come hell or high water. I finally had to ask to be released because I had to get away from all things church. Perhaps it's a power thing. If they know you like your calling and want to keep serving, they'll yank it from you as a sign of control. If you don't pay tithing, they'll keep you in your calling, serving TSCC, as a sign of control.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.