Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:13PM

I have both. At the moment, there are two dogs in the house and my cat. I just love animals. Although given a choice, I'll choose a cat. I can't even pinpoint why. I just love cats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:31PM

I figured with all the angry fighting over serious issues, we could use a break, and have fun with a lighter thread. What can I say, I believe that a bit of light mindedness and loud laughter are sometimes good for the soul.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:19PM

My pets are better than your pets -- MY PETS PROVIDE ME BREAKFAST !

I have about 15 hens, pullets and a rooster.

My pets provide me with country fresh eggs, plenty of valuable fertilizer for my vegetable garden, and the "evil eye" when I don't do exactly what they want.

My roo even doubles as a great alarm clock around dawn.

Why settle for dogs OR cats, when you can have a coop full of chickens?

Date: July 27, 2012 11:24PM

BTW, how is the conversion of your chicken coup into my glorious new temple going?

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:25AM

The conversion is coming along quite nicely.

You called me to be Temple Coop President, which means I needed two assistants.

So as my first counselor, I called my rooster, Andy.

As my second counselor, I called my favorite hen, Heidi.

You will have to come by and see the conversion of the chicken coop into your International House of Handshakes. Believe me, my chickens can produce enough manure to keep coop/temple patrons busy for a long time.

Have you brought any more converts into your inspired new religion?

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:57AM

Chickens are awesome! I love the fresh eggs every day, and they are so funny!

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:20PM

I grew up with cats, DH is allergic so now we have two Shiba Inus.

I like both, but if I had to choose, I'd have to go dog on this one!

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:41PM

My dog was vastly superior in intellect. And putting her to sleep was like losing a child.

My cat, however, was always getting herself into places she just could never get herself out of. The fire dept had to rescue her one of those times. The firemen laughed themselves silly. It's too embarrassing to relate. She just wasn't mensa material.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: July 27, 2012 11:44PM

I always thought I was a dog person, until a stray cat adopted me and I fell in love with her. I was a cat person for years but occasionally thought about also getting a dog. It finally seemed like the right time when our kiddo was 7 years old.

Now that I have a dog and two cats, it's hard to say which is better, because they are so different. The dog is a lot more like having another human kid--she is both more work to take care of and also more company than the cats.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:00AM

LOL The last two letters of my security code for this post were PU. I wrote earlier that I'm a dog person, but given how gassy my dog is tonight, I may have to rethink that. I wonder how long I can hold my breath.

Date: July 28, 2012 12:04AM

My cats smell WAAAY better than my dog! She had horrible breath, the stinkiest farts ever, and an overall houndy smell. Plus she likes to roll in disgusting stuff she finds outside.

Date: July 28, 2012 10:19AM

They actually do that so they can sneak up on critters, while smelling like a stinky thing instead of a dog. Their favorite is dead birds.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:10AM

Entries in a dog's journal:

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!

10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

1:00 PM - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!

1:30 PM - ooooooo. bath. bummer.

4:00 PM - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Entries in a cat's journal:

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time, however, it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid? My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time......

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:12AM

This is so funny!

Date: July 28, 2012 12:13AM

Dogs are simple-minded creatures.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 01:02AM

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read. Reminds me of Satchel and Bucky, Garfield and Odie. Thumbs up!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 01:09AM

It was a circulating email a good ten years ago, and someone put it online. I have no idea who wrote it, but it's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I loves the doggies, the kittehs, the ferrets, the chickens, and I really want to keep bees.

I have a hatched praying mantis egg in my wildflowers, and I buy lady bugs to take care of aphids on the roses. I almost hit two deer today. All creatures great and small...

Except for raccoons and grizzlies. I'm afraid of them.

Tuesday of last week, my mother made me give up my cats (long story, and no, I don't live with her), I don't have the room or time to properly care for and train a puppy, but I might become an urban beekeeper if Seattle ordinances allow.

Yeah, you can't pet bees, but still.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2012 08:25AM by Beth.

Posted by: gnosticguru ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:29AM

You sound like an awesome person, Beth. We need more people with kind hearts in this cruel world. Thanks for sharing those hilarious journals--they made me laugh...again;)

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 11:49AM

If you get bees, I will never be able to visit you :(

Date: July 28, 2012 12:12AM

My dog is smarter than my last cat was, but my current cat is definitely smarter. Poor dog. LOL She outsmarts him all the time, and he's not a dumb dog.

To me, the most-balanced home has both a dog and a cat. Each one brings something different to your life.

Date: July 28, 2012 12:14AM

My fear in having both is that my dog would take it upon herself to clean the litterbox. Add to that that she's a kisser...

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:32AM

Oh yes, Fannie Mae's! Quite the delicacy for a dog, though I DON'T KNOW WHY! I've been in that situation. Right now I have one very FAT cat...22+ pounds and i've switched her, yet again, to a specialty low-cal canned. She's a foot stool that waddles.

Date: July 28, 2012 09:33AM

...are such a tasty treat for a dog! I've managed to avoid this by keeping the litter boxes in the basement and never allowing the dog down there. She can stick her head through the cat door, but her shoulders and body are too wide. I think that having that stuff completely out of the dog's reach is the only way to keep it out of there. You can't really train them not to go for it.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 11:47AM

that is in the food so the poo smells like protein...food...
just sayin!

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:38AM

They both taste like chicken.

Just kidding.

I'm a veterinarian. I love them both.

Too many clients think that the scrubs that I wear denote which pet I love the best. So when I wear my jellyfish scrubs they get really confused.

When I wear my dog scrubs, it doesn't mean I'm a "dog veterinarian" and when I wear my cat scrubs it doesn't mean I'm a "cat veterinarian". Honestly, I know my stuff about them both, but I can really only wear one shirt a day.

:)

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 12:45AM

My kids (now adults) grew up with two dogs (now deceased), two cats (one now deceased), a ball python, a Colombian Boa, and two elderly horses.

Dogs are good at being dogs.
Cats are good at being cats.
Snakes are good at being snakes.
Horses are good at being horses.

I have spent a good part of my life being butler to the zoo.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 01:07AM

Cats are smarter than dogs because you can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow.

But that doesn't mean cats make better pets. The smartest pet you can have in your home is a monkey, and there is no pet more nightmarish than a primate. A chimp can literally tear your face off in a violent rage. Even a small monkey will break your valuables and throw feces when angered.

Dogs have learned to give unconditional love like no other animal. So I can see why they are preferred.

By the way, I don't have a dog or a cat in my home.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 02:07AM

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
You feed and take care of a dog, and the dog thinks this person is wonderful. You feed and take care of a cat, and the cat thinks I must be wonderful.

I have 4 indoor cats, and one of them is usually on duty to watch me. They want to make certain nothing happens to their litter-box-changer / food-dispenser.

Date: July 28, 2012 09:20AM

During my lifetime, I've had fish, tadpoles, budgies, lots of hamsters, mice, rats, a guinea pig, turtles, raccoons, squirrels, cats and dogs. I think that's everything.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 09:33AM

When I was little I would bring every stray cat home and ask my mom, "Can we keep it?" No.

But we had dogs. And I have a dog. Love dogs and cats.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: July 28, 2012 10:14AM

The dog thinks: He loves me, he feeds me and takes care of my every need, he must be God.

The cat thinks: He loves me, he fgeeds me and takes care of my every need. I must be God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.