Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:44PM

"The calling of an apostle is to be a special witness of the name of Jesus Christ in all the world"
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/apostle?lang=eng

vs

"Special witnesses of Christ"
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses

well which is it?

"special witness of the name of jesus" is something any member can do, whereas "special witness of jesus" kind of implies something "special" about that witness.

but what is so special about their "witness of christ", compared to any other member's, if the prophet and apostles haven't ever really seen and met with jesus, in person?

if they have, where can i read about such a "special witness"?

if these special witnesses claim that it's too sacred to talk about, then isn't that like "putting one's candle under a bushel"?

if these special witnesses claim that "one shouldn't throw one's pearls before swine"; are faithful members "swine"?

discuss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 06:46PM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ashoten2021 ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 06:51PM

This seems like it falls under the usual catagory of "This is a test of your faith" and "If you will not harken unto the voice of my servants you would not listen to me" BS. I would like to point out that the scripture written by prophets says not to question those same prophets words. This seems like the kind of thing a con man says. If you look you will see the giant cracks in the argument so please don't look sort of thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 07:09PM

it should be Spechul

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 07:15PM

Was mentioned on threads several months ago -If you are only a witness of the name of Jesus Christ, it stops people asking Apostles what does Jesus Christ looks like.. Changed about 3 years ago or six General Conferences ago ..

JB

Date: August 02, 2012 07:25PM

you'd think it would just create more work for them?

maybe they're going for the "lets play on the human excitement about the mysterious", as a way to keep people in the church?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: August 02, 2012 07:34PM

Do they write down "Jesus Christ" in different fonts to see what it looks like? Are they becoming experts at recognicing this name in all kinds of scripts and languages? Inquiring minds wants to know...

I can also testify that Jesus Christ exist in both speech and print. Hey it's even the name of their church!

Date: August 03, 2012 02:48AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.