Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:20PM

Last night I found a letter sent by the RSP when I first discovered the fraud of Mormonism. I don't remember if she was the current RSP but she had been in that position. We lived near this woman but I didn't really know her. Exchanged greetings now and then but never a real conversation.

Anyway, here is the letter. I've tried to duplicate it exactly but obviously names are removed. I'd be very interested to know what you think.

Dear (Stunted)

As I listened to (your wife) sing in sacrament meeting I thought about you. I wondered if you were at church listening to her: you are so supportive of her.

I realized my heart felt sad as I thought of you & your family moving. Honestly – I felt some frustration towards you, because I have so missed seeing you at church. You've always been one of my favorite “happy” people – always smiling with a kind word to offer. I wish you hadn't chose to remove yourself from our company. I have felt if I extended myself you'd feel my intentions weren't sincere or that there was an ulterior motive to wanting to say hello and see how you were doing.

So now you're moving and I realize the opportunities of seeing your happy soul will be gone. Thus, I want to tell you a few thoughts before you go.

I am grateful to have known you – no matter the circumstances. I'm grateful for your terrific family. I will so miss (daughter) in my Sunday school class & (wife's) friendship.

I hope this move to (new state) will be good for all of you. I hope you'll enjoy the work and surroundings. I hope you will reach out and let others come to love “(Stunted)” - the same way (husband) & I learned to do.

Thank you for your friendship, I HONESTLY have and will miss you. May Heavenly Father's blessing & protection be with you all,

Love,
Morbgot

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dee Lightsum ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:25PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:34PM

Stunted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have felt if I extended myself you'd feel my
> intentions weren't sincere or that there was an
> ulterior motive to wanting to say hello and see
> how you were doing.

Maybe she felt that way because at some level she knew her motives were less than pure.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:41PM

She was a fan but not a friend. It's weird, because most fans desperately *want* to be friends with the person that they admire. She was treating you more like an attractive ornament that had inexpicably gone missing.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:43PM

I know there were certain people in my wards over the years that I enjoyed seeing, but did not know well. Nothing beyond a nod or hello, but Something about them made my time there better. Maybe just a smile, a demeanor -- whatever. Some people have that something about them that makes them a pleasant addition to a group.

Maybe you are one of these people, Stunted, and she wanted to acknowledge it.

I do not see anything in her letter that seems like an agenda.

Date: August 14, 2012 12:53PM

"Honestly – I felt some frustration towards you, because I have so missed seeing you at church. You've always been one of my favorite “happy” people – always smiling with a kind word to offer. I wish you hadn't chose to remove yourself from our company."

She's frustrated towards me because she wants to see me at church? Our kids played together in the circle almost everyday and yet I've removed myself from her company? It's this "church is the center of the universe" mindset that makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:56PM

That does put a different slant on it. Point taken.

Yes, I totally agree that mormons mostly live in Bubble World.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:47PM

Way to ruin this almost stranger's life.

She misses YOU. And you had the NERVE to stop showing up to church!

The ONE place she could EVER SEE YOU!

EVER!

And now you'll never hear your wife sing again either. Because church is the only place she can do that too.

You unsupportive, selfish, meat puppet.

Does your depravity know no bounds???

Date: August 14, 2012 01:32PM

...active Mormons never ask why. They just aren't interested in knowing why you left the church. Unless there was an affair that led to excommunication or something like that. In those cases they just can't wait to share the juicy tidbits.

In her mind I am a selfish bastard because the church is true and there can be no good reason to leave it. God needs me on his team or the whole plan of salvation might fail!

How many times in church or in seminary classes have we heard about the basket of lobsters? There is no need to put a lid on the basket because if a lobster tries to climb out the others will pull him back in. I can't remember the gospel lesson that's supposed to go along with that little story but this letter sure feels like a lobster claw trying to drag me back into the basket.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 01:41PM

While reading, I was like, "Who was offended by a basket of lobsters and left?"

And then I saw the "pulling each other in" crap.

Aren't Mormon metaphors just so much fun?

You're a child!

No, a sheep!

No, a pickle!

No, A BASKET OF LOBSTERS!!!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 08:17PM

Is that from the book of Mormon or something? There sure aren't any in Utar...

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 12:59PM

I miss you so much, oh, how I miss you. Of course I realize that you live just down the block and I could call or visit any time but, as a Mormon, I limit all my socializing to the Church building.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 01:12PM

I have gone through years of this. The TBM's think if they 'just say the right thing' it will touch your heart and you will return.

They have no way to know that your heart and your mind are right where they should be. Poor brainwashed things. I know so many really nice ones in my old country ward.

You gotta love 'em but leave 'em.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 14, 2012 01:16PM

Classic example of a letter written to make the writer feel better, with no thought to how the recipient would feel. I mean, really, how on earth is one supposed to respond to such a letter, especially from an acquaintance? And of course, she signed it "Love," which is the ultimate Mormon woman sign of insincerity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.