Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:42AM

The thread about mormon weddings and exclusion got me curious about the kinds of weddings y'all have had after mormonism.

My BF assumed I would want a "traditional" wedding if we decide to get married, but I honestly would prefer the two of us just go to the courthouse. I wouldn't want my family there because I'm afraid they would treat the occasion like a funeral or at the very least like a second class wedding. And since he isn't all that close to his family I just don't see the point in having a fancy wedding ceremony or reception. How did your families treat you on your big day post-mormonism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 12:44AM

My parents were angry that they had to show up for pictures an hour before the ceremony. They refused to help set up and break down. My mom yelled at me when I asked her to help pick out a dress, and then yelled again when I picked out a green one.

All in all, it was a normal family affair.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 08:15PM

What shade of green?

& you made the right choice. White wedding dresses are nothing more than a fad started by Queen Victoria.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_dress_of_Queen_Victoria

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 07:39PM

LOL, "a normal family affair." Sad but true.

Posted by: annabelle ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 07:41PM

Eloped! Married on the shores of North Lake Tahoe-14+ years now! We go back every year to the shore xx

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:19PM

We held a big back yard BBQ for friends. They though we might be announcing our engagement, but, no, we announced that we were getting married right then and there.

I told my family after the fact.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:48PM

I'm a rational, practical, middle-aged spinster, but one of the things that makes me the happiest about leaving the church is that now I can have my dream wedding if I ever get married. We can have an intimate ceremony in a cabin in the woods, or on the beach with ALL our loved ones; all my nieces, nephews and any other kiddies in our lives can be there; and immediately afterwards we can commence the kickass party with dancing, drinking, games for the kids and all manner of mayhem.

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 10:18PM

Gathered all my children (they were adults and teens) and a couple of their friends and drove to the court house. Of course I live in Las Vegas so lots of folks do it that way were we live! One daughter was our photographer, another daughter was my maid of honor, my son was the best man, another daughter signed our marriage certificate as a witness and my youngest daughter got to hold our rings until it was time for them to go on our fingers! After the Justice of the Peace pronounced us as man and wife, our new family went out to dinner in true Vegas style, at a buffet! Then home, we were moving into our new home the next day!!!

Years later, my kids have thanked us for not doing the big wedding thing, like their dad, for a second marriage (and in their dads case, a third wedding!) They have all said they had fun that night and liked that it was just the kids and mom and step dad. I don't know if it made a difference that I had waited five years to re-marry, but no churches, just lots of laughter.

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 11:58PM

I'm also in Vegas. My husband and I were both nearly 50, and it was a second marriage for both of us. I picked the classiest wedding chapel I could find (one that wasn't next to a strip joint or hourly motel)

I had a pretty strapless dress, and we were surrounded by friends and loved ones. We went to dinner afterwards at Buca di Beppo.

So much better than my first marriage, where none of my family could be there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.