Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:29AM

My husband came home from church today and said that the sunday school teacher and his wife are spliting up. When I asked how he found out this news he said the bishop made an announcement in Elders Quorum that the SS teacher and his wife are having marital problems and are separating and most likely divorcing. Luckily this person nor his wife happen to not be there at church today. I was shocked that the Bishop would have the nerve to make a public announcement of someone elses marrital troubles. It really isn't anyone's business. I have to wonder if the Bishop also announced to everyone in Elder's quorum that I had left the church. When we came out and told the bishop that I was not going to continue attending the news spread like wildfire and I was getting a ton of phone calls and visits at my door. The gossip is really out of control!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 12:33AM by turnonthelights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:33AM

Posted by: BahBahBlacki ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:39AM

If anything else, attending church was a highlight if only for juicy gossip. I was announced to be lesbian with two other girls...wasn't true, but I look back at it now and wish to hell and back I had fluttered my lashes flirtatiously at my young women daaarlings.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:39AM

Unbelievable. Very low and unclassy move.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:40AM

Clearly this man doesn't think about his actions.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 09:29AM

He just follows The Spirit, wherever it takes him ...

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:43AM

At church meetings and functions, I have many times heard bishops sharing personal problems of members (mostly financial) to others. For this reason, I never shared anything if I could help it.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:44AM

The bish knows nothing about respecting peoples privacy. He's probably been announcing every little detail of every interview to anyone who will listen.

I'm so sick of Mormons and their lack of respect for others privacy. They think they can run their mouths an God will shine down on them for it. It's disgusting.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 12:47AM

For most that care about appearances, however, it would be a kind of warning - don't do this or else receive the same treatment...

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 05:30AM

My Bishop told the ward (announced in sacrament) that I was involved with fraud and was leaving the ward because of it.

Truth was I was his accountant and found he was involved in tax evasion, so when I confronted him about it, acting as if I didn't understand something and wanted to clear it up because he of course was a "good man". The next week after that is when everyone shunned me (I missed his announcement because of illness), and I later found out from a good friend who "couldn't believe what the bishop was saying."

However, after calling the police on him, I found out his office and business both were shut down and he found himself in trouble, much to my joy.

What gets me is that there are people that still believe because he was bishop that he must have been framed and the evidence I gave the police on his illegal activities must have been fabricated. Sounds like typical TBMs though, I mean, I was only EQP, how could I possibly be righter than him?

Sorry, I guess that went off topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 05:31AM by notsurewhattothink.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 09:31AM

Was your Ward reputation ever restored, or having been singled out by a Man of God, were you ever after a pariah?

Posted by: dareuslikeparis ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 09:33AM

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:23AM

Wow, that poor couple probably came to him for "counseling" to help their marriage and this is how he treats them?

When I was an RS counselor, the bishop always kept us in the loop about who was having marital problems and likely separating, but I'm pretty sure he'd chop one of our heads off if we spread that info to anyone!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:27AM

Perhaps they asked him to announce it so they wouldn't have to answer so many questions from the ward busybodies.

Nah.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: August 28, 2012 01:00PM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps they asked him to announce it so they
> wouldn't have to answer so many questions from the
> ward busybodies.
>
> Nah.

That actually happened in my ward once. It was still the wrong thing to do, but at least it wasn't a case of the Bishop overstepping.

The right thing would have been to remind the couple that there was no need for ANYONE to explain their personal lives to the ward.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:28AM

In a small town like Alpine, UT that was pretty tough. Also, there were seven kids involved. We ended up having to move. Our stuff was probably worse than most but nothing of an illegal or otherwise public nature. The gossip started as true but grew to epic proportions. Thanks bish.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:30AM

A trained councilor will keep things strictly private, not telling ANYONE AT ALL. Bishops are actually obligated to discuss these issues with others, such as their SP. Each person that knows is a potential blabber, so it usually gets out. It's a bad system and I'd never confide in a bishop for that reason.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:34AM

We had a bishop who was a transplant from UT. He had black hair except for a noticeable white streak that went down the back of his hair in a skunk like pattern. How fitting for him. He was the nastiest, most gossipy, pessimistic jerk I have ever witnessed in my life - in or out of the church. Like the OP bishop, whenever someone was having marital problems in the ward - this idiot would make a talk about it. One time, everyone knew that a particular couple were having problems. This bishop spoke the entire sac meeting, scolding the husband for the things that he had done wrong in the marriage. We all knew who he was talking about. He gave details, w/o saying their names directly. The husband sat near to me, and I watched his face. He walked out the door and never came back. He was the EQ prez too - a great guy. This bishop also gave a guilt ridden negative "state of the ward" address every six months, that left everyone in a state of depression after ward. Sick POS.

Posted by: lancashirelass ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:37AM

I ask Bish to tell people when ex and I separated because every time I tried to talk about it I started crying. Ex immediately went inactive so he wasn't around to tell people. It's unacceptable to announce it if he hasn't been asked to though.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 11:38AM

There is no clergy-penitent privilege in the LDS church.

Makes me wonder how much of my personal business was blabbed all over the church for years.

;o)

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 03:07PM

In my experience (what I've witnessed)...
if it's not the bishop, it's the bishoph's wife.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:43PM

That's horrifying. So many Mormons are so gossipy, and when they get put into leadership positions they can do unbelievable damage.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 04:51PM

told her about someone we knew fairly well had gotten a divorce as he had been cheating. Kinda welcomed the info though as the guy always appeared as a upstanding mormon, EQ teacher type. I haven't gone to church for years, so it's fun to get "caught up" on all the hoopla. Haha.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 08:51PM

The church continues to be populated with a$$holes....I'd love to have email addresses for some of these cretins....I'd email them a call them out....

Ron Burr

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 09:10PM

Why do they do this in the first place?!?

My name has gone through the gossip/slander mill a few times in the Mormon community I live in and it's ridiculous. I wonder if they talk this way to hide their own sh*t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 09:11PM by liminal state.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: August 28, 2012 01:05PM

Mormons would simply shrug their shoulders and say, "the church is perfect, the members or not."

But this is just evidence that God doesn't really choose these people to be Bishops.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: August 28, 2012 01:22PM

In my experience, EVERYTHING is public: people's marital relationships, youth problems, finances -- even the state of people's homes (dirty dishes, unfinished floors, etc). It's disgusting!

Posted by: marriedtoamo ( )
Date: August 28, 2012 02:59PM

Just another shining example of the HIVE mentality of mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.