Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Karen ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:26AM

Hi there:) I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information on how to get unsealed from my parents. I was BIC, but left the church as early as I possibly could. I have been somewhat free for over 11 years, and I find it disgusting that I am stuck with a bunch of narcissistic-snotty-know –it-alls for time and all eternity (according to them). My parents and siblings are all heavily brain washed and actively involved in the day to day operations of the local ward. This is about my journey and severing ties with the cult that stole a huge part of my childhood and haunts my memories. I’d like to get some kind of official documentation like a certificate that I can hang on my wall that clearly states that I am 'unsealed'.

Please clarify if you can... What situation(s) would warrant a void of parents/child sealing? I am currently still on the membership, but have not been in the “Active” pile for a while. By no means do I want to make this easy on anyone at the headquarters, so a quick fix like get myself exd is not necessary.

Is what I’m trying to do even possible?
Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks to all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:39AM

When I resigned I understood that my baptism became null, and void, and my endowments were cancelled. I also understood that the sealing to my parents, which was done after their deaths, was also cancelled. I wanted to undo all the temple work I had done, but since it is meaningless anyhow, that became irrelevant.

Temple work is meaningless, but a piece of paper making them acknowledge your leaving is nice to have - for legal reasons too. According to LD$ doctrine, and common sense, temple work cannot be effective unless we are "righteous", and agree to it, i.e. accept TSCC, and ordinances as true, and live as LD$.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:43AM

Leaving the church does not cancel temple work. They say it does when you resign, but from reading stories of how much trouble women have getting remarried in the temple, even when ex has resigned, the sealings are not cancelled.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2021 07:28PM

In some cases it's not so much that the sealing isn't canceled (whether or not any given sealing is canceled when a husband exits or is exed varies, depending upon what the person in charge feels like saying at the time) as that if a woman was ever sealed and then is no longer married to the formerly righteous PH holder, no matter what happened, in the eyes of the savage misogynists, it's probably at least a little bit her fault. They have to ensure that she's been properly put through the ringer before giving her the privilege of going through the entire ordeal again . . . unless she's a celebrity Mormon or unless either she or her parents tithe in the seven figure range, in which case she will be given carte blanche to remarry in the temple at will, even to the same spouse more than once if that's what she wants.

Edited to add: It's all mumbo jumbo anyway and not worth the price of the paper it's printed on even if it's not printed. I could go into my backyard right now and seal my dog to the neighbor's cat that's been hanging out there with the same authority and the same overall effect that any temple sealing has.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 07:34PM by scmd1.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:54AM

In a former ward, this dude molested his daughters, was exed and went to the big house. His wife was assured that she and her daughters were still sealed (BIC), and if the perp did not get his spiritual act together and get re-baptized then everything would be taken care of. The morg euphemism for being reassigned to someone else -- got to love that polyg stuff.

It is kind of hard to nail this stuff down. But when all your beliefs are just made up, anything you believe in will do.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 01:15PM

I know of an identical situation but the perp was never ex'ed.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:58AM

I think resigning or getting exed should do it.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 01:07AM

Put up big boundaries with your parents and dysfunctional siblings and keep a solid support system in place...

Focus on yourself and your recovery and don't give those BIC sealings nonsense any power by acknowledging their supposed reality... They have none...

It's okay to not to speak to dysfunctional relatives for periods fo time; mine get a whole lot more reasonable every time I use that tact...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 02:01AM

The sealing is still considered to be in effect. The only way one can get a "cancellation of sealing" from a spouse is if one is planning to get sealed to someone else in the temple.

Poster "wings" has told her story here a number of times. She was exed, and has repeated told Central Command that she wants her sealing cancelled to the abusive jerk she was married to and divorced from. TSCC won't give her the time of day.

LDS Inc recognizes your right to resign because they have no say in the matter. The US legal system requires that they recognize your resignation.

The legal system takes no position on contracts that apply to people living in a post-mortal existence. Since the courts do not force TSCC to recognize your right to any say in what they decree about your life after death, they won't give you the time of day either.

It is very difficult to get unsealed from a spouse. IMHO it is *impossible* (in the delusional Mormon world) to be unsealed from your parents.

The best you can do is to realize it is all a delusion, and get on with your life.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 02:12AM

It has no real power. It makes people feel good (or bad, in your case).

If you need a symbolic release from the sealing, don't go to the Mormons to do it. They'll just tell you that you can't DO that. I've known cases (from this board) of abused women, who could NOT cancel the sealing until they remarried. If the church won't give a cancellation of sealing to a woman being stalked by her obsessed ex, I highly doubt they'll unseal someone from their parents.

But if it would make you feel better, make up your own cancellation of sealing document, that says you are officially unsealed from your selfish, narcissistic parentsor even better yet, a ceremony., or have some nice exmo make you a certificate

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 02:16AM

But you get the idea, I presume.

I just want to add that you don't need some document from the LDS church to distance yourself from your family.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 02:24AM

It's not a specific "unsealing" but the letter you will receive when resigning specifically says all your ordinances are cancelled. This is a piece of paper you can hang on your wall as you say. It's one you can show your parents or send them copies. I think it effects the exact thing you want though the church does not give you a special specific unsealing, just a general warning that all ordinances pertaining to you have been cancelled.

That would include the ordinance of sealing into which you were born. Not to mention that even if parents are sealed to you, it is conditioned on your being righteous and receiving all the ordinances for exaltation yourself. Your unrighteousness, your lack of baptism, lack of temple endowment, lack of temple marriage, the church cancelling your ordinances places you in a category where they cannot claim you as sealed to them.

Speaking, of course, from the Mormon mindset (none of it is true.) But if your purpose is to have the piece of paper for yourself or to give your parents, asking the church to take your name off their membership accomplishes this as nothing else is available.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 07:19AM

You'll need to go through your Stake President in order to get the request through to them. Your parents will also be contacted and involved in the process.

Resignation and Excommunication only undo your temple blessings like Endowments and stuff, but a Sealing will stand. This is because your other family members are promised that they will remain sealed due to their righteousness. The whole thing can be very confusing and a lot of bad feelings can be stirred up.

Good luck.

Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 08:28AM

there were blessings attached to sealing no matter who you were sealed to. No one could ever tell me what those blessings were, but in order to keep the blessings in force, sealings are not dissolved unless there is another sealing to take it's place. I adopted two children as a single parent but could not be sealed to them. It all revolves around the male priesthood holder... and telling God what to do. It is all made up, out of touch with the culture, manipulative. Want to get unsealed and need a stamp of approval from a third source? I hear the flying spaghetti monster will do it for a price, and slippery is one of his FSM attributes.

Posted by: Goofy Goober Smith ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 08:55AM

It's all a bunch of phony baloney so how you can 'unseal' yourself from something that isn't real? I could make myself a nice certificate stating I was the MVP of the NFL this year but that doesn't make it so. I would just rest assured that since TSCC is not true then everything associated with it is hogwash. Why try and fight something that doesn't exist.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 09:11AM

To those of us at a Recovery from mormonism forum?

You're enlightening the enlightened.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 09:12AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Goofy Goober Smith ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 09:15AM

Well, you and I know this. But asking how to undue something that doesn't exist makes me think the poster does not. But thanks for the smart ass comment!

Date: December 23, 2010 11:12AM

OP isn't wanting undo anything any exmo would consider to be real. They're repulsed with lowlife relatives assuming they have power over them.

The issue is to make a point and bring closure, similarly to getting a letter confirming resignation, or the same as forcing locals and mishies to remove someone from the list of dupes.

Just because one person wants to seek closure and another does not is in no way saying the one is better than the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 11:15AM by Cheryl.

Date: December 23, 2010 09:08AM

So I guess that's the easiest way to become unsealed.

But be aware that the mormons will redo everything in your name once you're dead. I'd like to see this nonsense cease and I think someday it will be through public pressure.

Posted by: klj ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 11:10AM

I am not sure if the church counts resignation. Numerous people in the church like Talmage and prophets taught that unless you sin away your power to repent(whatever that means) then you will be sealed for good to your parents basically no matter what. Here is a quote from JS and others. Not sure though what the churchs' stand is. It seems like you would be able to exercise your agency(they are big on that). With Temple sealings they can be cancelled...I know I had one done to me. There are numerous statements that seem to counter it though such as."

Elder Orson F. Whitney, Conference Report, April 1929, p.110
You parents of the wilful and the wayward! Don't give them up. Don't cast them off. They are not utterly lost. The Shepherd will find his sheep. They were his before they were yours--long before he entrusted them to your care; and you cannot begin to love them as he loves them. They have but strayed in ignorance from the Path of Right, and God is merciful to ignorance. Only the fulness of knowledge brings the fulness of accountability. Our Heavenly Father is far more merciful, infinitely more charitable, than even the best of his servants, and the Everlasting Gospel is mightier in power to save than our narrow finite minds can comprehend.

The Prophet Joseph Smith declared--and he never taught more comforting doctrine--that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father's heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children; hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on, till you see the salvation of God."

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 12:02PM

Since I resigned, and I was BIC, which means that I'm sealed to my parents which means they will get to be with me in the eternities, I seem to have just dragged my whole family down to hell (since that's clearly where I'm headed, having rejected the further light and knowledge by sleeping through endless temple sessions). Yaay me.

Payback is sweet. You too can drag you're whole family to hell with you. But really, Mormons get all fuzzy about "free agency" and sealings, and whatnot. Its all "make work".

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 01:45PM

to change something that is imaginary and only appears on paper. There is no such thing as a binding sealing of a child to a parent in an after life; it's only an imaginary ordinance. It only means something to those that believe in the rituals.

If you don't want anything to do with your family, don't love or accept them, and don't care about them, then don't.
There are plenty of other people in the world! :-)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 01:46PM

It's quite easy to do. Be creative!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 09:37AM

SusieQ, said so well. BTW, do you know how to get off the Santa Claus list?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 23, 2010 01:53PM

why do you even give it enough credence to care?

Posted by: What up ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 02:23AM

To piss off parents that want to push THEIR religious beliefs on you. To show them that they no longer have control of the situation of religion. To show them that you are independent from them and their ways of thinking.

Posted by: Thomas87 ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 04:58AM

Hi,

I want to know how to get unsealed from my parents.
I know I can have my records removed and canceled but will
That unseal me from my family?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 07:52AM

You really can't. You can resign from the church, which will have your ordinances cancelled, but that really doesn't affect sealings.

However -- what it may do is to remove your name from the list that your parents receive each year at tithing settlement. We have had reports in the past that parents receive a form, and as a part of that form, the names of their children along with their significant church dates (baptism, etc.) are listed. When one of the children resigns, his or her name is no longer listed on that form. Often, that has been the first heads-up to the parents that the child is no longer a member of the church.

I don't know if the church is still doing that. But they might be.

Posted by: Recently Departed ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 08:21AM

Hi

I just died and found out that I am still sealed according to MORmON records in their spirit prison. How can I get them to remove my sealing because the non-MORmON line is so much shorter than the church member line. Seriously, there are all these people making a fuss about handshakes and the civil servants who process the dead can't stop laughing.

Seriously, this ten year old thread reads like a terrible prank against ex-Mos. It's like a person who just found out that their name is continuingly being added to the temple prayer roll and it is freaking them out.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 03:11PM

When I died my experience was a bit different than yours. First of all I had a bunch of things I still wanted to do on earth so I wasn't really pleased to be deceased. Anyhow, while I was waiting in line to get into heaven I thought to myself, "I'll be damned if I can't remember those handshakes". But it didn't really work out that way. Since I couldn't handshake my way in, they sent me back to my life.
Which was really what I wanted anyway.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 08:32AM

Yeah, I'm not sure I entirely understand these threads lately that are concerned with the church records. It's all fictional, right? That's why you left, isn't it? Or are you one of the few who really did leave because you were offended by someone at church? Are you one of the oft referred to "you still believe it's true in your heart" ones?

Then again, I do understand that some folks have anxiety issues that aren't necessarily rational. A name on a private record could really bother someone who is struggling with fear in that way.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 10:28AM

It would be nice if all Mormon church resignations had the teeth that EU resignations have. I can understand the concern. Some exmos do not want to be associated with the church in any way, shape, or form.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 11:38AM

Yeah, like I said, logically, it doesn't make sense to me. It's a private record in a high office somewhere. Is a sealing something that shows up in a background check for a non-Mormon job? If a private investigator looks into your past, they'll see your association with the church whether you've been erased from internal records or not, won't they?

In what other situations would a lingering name on a record(even after resignation) or a sealing record negatively affect or impact a person's life? When I left the church, I dropped the chains myself, realizing they had no power over me and they never had. These people overly concerned by vestiges of church association are clinging to chains that would fall useless to the ground if they just opened their fingers and let them go.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 10:29AM

tO the best of my knowledge that is not possible
However since the whole thing is a scam anyway you are probably not actually sealed to begin with

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2021 10:30AM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 10:49AM

and whatever you feel are two totally different things.

The one thing you can do is DO resign and keep the letter they send you telling you that all your blessings and covenants are removed. Show it to your family when they bug you.

The church may try to have it both ways, but when they send out letters like that, then they must be lying like usual.

I still have mine. I never thought I cared, but I did it to make a point and it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 11:29AM

That letter they send you could be mailed out as your annual Season’s Greetings.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 11:41AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That letter they send you could be mailed out as
> your annual Season’s Greetings.

My letter was a great twisted and audaciously
ridiculous keeper too! Saying with MormØŽ-ism authority that no longer may I have the gift of Holy Ghost propriety, heh I ain't biting.

Where are they gonna keep it, in a double o-ring hermetically sealed container on a shelf in the vault?
Haa!

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: November 07, 2021 02:43PM

When I decided to leave the church, I was passionate about having my name removed from the membership rolls. I in no way wanted the church counting me as one of their "lemmings" and needed the (symbolic) closure that came with getting that confirmation letter from Salt Lake. My husband and I had a ceremony where we burned our baptismal certificates in our barbecue. It was very cathartic for us!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 03:17AM

When you get sealed to your parents, it is like the church giving you you a nice shiny unicorn that you can keep forever, provided JS thinks you are worthy, and you remember all the signs and tokens, and your new name.

To get unsealed, you are basically asking how can you return the unicorn. You can’t. There is no unicorn. Never was.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 03:51AM

The main reason to resign is so that legally they don't have the right to contact you. If you have blessed/baptized your kids and you include them on your resignation, they don't have the legal right to contact them either. Asking that your name be removed is worthless.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: November 08, 2021 05:01AM

I was on a road trip to meet with as many different and diverse ex-mo's I could and just had to stop by the Pennsylvania super duper new visitor center, before it was there. (JS dead infant gravesite)

Well now, happen to guess what else is in that same area pretty close by? Yup, besides the ugly old RR track that follows the river is the completely unmarked area where O'l uncle Jo happened to baptised himself with imaginary people from the important Bible all around.

So I thought I'd symbolically do an un-baptism asking the huge universe for forgiveness and for being so so very gullible and stupid.
I have to admit, it was quite refreshing to rid myself of everything that might have troubled me that choice early summer day.

The shampoo didn't hurt with the fun adventure, one bit!

Posted by: Eternal PTSD victim ( )
Date: November 11, 2021 07:04AM

"It's quite easy to do. Be creative!" Written 11 years ago, by our wise RFM Grandma, Susie Q#1, may she rest in peace. It's still true today.

Back then, the Mormon cult would not allow me to obtain a cancellation of sealing from a temple husband thug who beat me regularly, and strangled me. Over the years, he was allowed to marry two other women in the temple, for a total of 3 temple wives. He beat them all, and his children.

I tried for years, being an obedient Mormon, paying tithing, playing the organ and piano, and teaching. When I found out The Truth, I resigned.

Cristina and others are correct. It's all a hoax, to get 10% of everyone's income, and free labor. The documents are made up, and printed out by con-men. The cult changes the name of the bogus papers from "Temple Divorce" to "Cancellation of Sealing" to "Temple Clearance" to "You must the sealing; it's a blessing for you." Being sealed in the hereafter to a violent abuser is my idea of Eternal Hell.

In my resignation letter I DECLARED MYSELF no longer subject to any Mormon-made ordinances, rules, or mandates. The temple and its rituals had nothing to do with me. I quoted the church's Handbook of Instructions, which stated (at the time) that upon resigning, all church positions and blessings and whatever will be "NULL AND VOID." The Priesthood harrassers threatened me with "outer darkness", God's withdrawal of blessings, illness, financial failure, and failure of my family! I was so glad to get out of there! You have a right to declare yourself separated from any cult or organization! (Except prison, of course.)

I printed up a very official-looking certificate entitled something like, "Cancellation of Mormlon Temple Sealing and Baptism". I had my own private celebration, which included saying words that were the reverse of wedding vows, that un-married me from the criminal. I bore my reverse testimony. I read a few meaningful poems.

Several months later, I got baptized into another church--which is another way one can "undo" being a Mormon captive. I was able to tell Mormon harrassers "I'm a Lutheran," which shut them down immediately. I don't go to any organized church, but I believe in living the Christian lifestyle. God is good, Love is the answer, Seek the Truth in all things. Follow your heart. All the good values that Mormonism claims to be the source of, yet goes against in its evil core.

Like SusieQ #1 says: "Be creative." Whatever documents, doctrines or rituals you create are just as real as the ones JS and his followers create. Go for it!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 11, 2021 10:20AM

You could always write them a letter to inform the Church that you are dutifully keeping records as ordered by a frog. That if they continue to masquerade as a fraudulent religion then you will have no choice to submit overwhelming evidence.

Let them know that their # on your list is two, right behind the other true church called Scientology.

Ha!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2021 05:10AM

You could perform your own unsealing ceremony. It would be as valid as the church’s ceremony. You could have some fun with it by making up your own priesthood and wear a Druid robe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.