Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BadSheep ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 10:50AM

I remember when I was growing up in the church, I always thought I'd be buried when I die. For some silly reason, I thought I'd need my body when the resurrection came.

Now that I'm out, and an atheist, I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered from Glacier Point, in Yosemite, if possible.

I'm convinced it is the most beautiful place on earth, and I'd like the elements of my body to mix with the dirt and help plants to grow there. I'd rather not have my body take up space and leach chemicals into the earth. For me there is no good reason to try and preserve my body at all.

Anyone else's final wishes change since leaving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 10:54AM

Cremation, ashes scattered.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 12:43PM

Yup! Cremation, and have my ashes either scattered across the Alpine Loop, or off a cliff at Dead Horse Point.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 12:49PM

Yep. Green burial, body placed directly into the earth without hinderance of a box, oak tree planted on top of the grave so the component molecules what was once me go to nourishing a beautiful tree that will be home to thousands of living things over the course of its own lifetime.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:17PM

This is what I want, too. It tends to be pricey, but hopefully by then I'll have some money saved up for it. :) I decided on a green burial after I found out how terrible cremation is for the environment.

I do see an advantage to having a place for family and friends to go visit a final resting place, so maybe arranging a memorial bench in a lovely park or along a trail in the redwoods would be nice as well.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 02:18PM

My fil is at dead horse point. He loved that place.

Posted by: gus2144 ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 01:19PM

In only 19, still have to go because of my parents but if something tragic were to happen to me, I told.my mom I want to be cremated. I wouldn't want them paying $10,000+ just to get a casket theyd never see again. I think cremation would be more comforting to loved ones.

Posted by: rescueranger ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:34PM

Cremation for me also, and send some ashes back to my home land.

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 03:38PM

I want lots of alcohol, sweets and candies at my funeral because I love life and want everyone to have fun even the kiddies. I very much like the idea of cremation and having my ashes be spread over some beautiful place.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:06PM

I want live music, casual dress and zero prayers. I want anyone to have the chance to offer thoughts and remembrances, and I want one of my children to offer an eulogy. I want to provide funds for my family to take a vacation to Cinque Terre and spread my ashes on the Ligurian Sea.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:18PM

Cinque Terre-one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 07:45PM

I've always wanted to go there. I hope to combine that with a visit to Pompeii one day.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 07:49PM

I was very surprised that my Catholic mom specified cremation in her will. She already had a gravesite alongside of my dad. Since I was her sole heir, my best guess is that she wanted me to have the maximum amount of money possible. That money helped me to pay off my school loans and to provide a generous down payment for my home. One of her last directives to my brother was to make *sure* that I bought a home after her death. He kept his promise to her. :-) And thanks to my dear mom (and dad) I will be financially secure in my old age.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:27PM

Yosemite (as do all National Parks) requires a permit that is routinely granted.

There may be a small processing fee for the permit.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ashes.htm

There is no federal prohibition regarding scattering in National Forests.

If you are scattered on federal Bureau of Land Management land you do not need a permit but the ashes must be scattered away from public areas and so there they are not discernible.

I want to be cremated and scattered on BLM land near where I grew up.

I don't see any reason for the expense of embalming and a casket. Cremation can be done for under $1,000.00 If someone wants to view my remains they can hurry and see me as I was, not how some undertaker stuffed and painted me.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 04:41PM by lulu.

Posted by: kcmono ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 04:33PM

Yes. I DO NOT WANT a mo funeral. I will kick some ass if they do that to me. It's up to my son I guess at this point. They can cremate or not. But no test. and atonement or such nonsense. I have told my 15 year old this, so I hope he remembers. Also, I want to be buried in new pajamas in my favorite color

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 05:43PM

Cremation.
Celebration of life with an open bar & good music.
Scattered in the aspen groves at the base of the San Francisco peaks.
No Mormon chapel service for me.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 05:52PM

Way to be earth friendly and not take up the needed space.:)

For some reason, I always had the preference to be cremated. I never liked the idea of embalming because it seems unnatural and the body almost always looks weird. One of my friends looked like a "drunk Chinese man" at his wake while another was extremely white for a biracial man at his funeral.

If you have determined family who want to hold a Mo funeral for you, make sure you have this ALL spelled out in your will.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 06:58PM

No. For years I've made it known that I didn't want my funeral, if one is held at all, in an LDS church. I would prefer a graveside service followed by a good Irish wake.....with lots of good booze and fine food.

Ron Burr

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 07:38PM

I want to be cremated and scattered on the ocean. I love the ocean more than anything! I do like the green burial with a tree idea too though... hmmm. I want to pay for a nice vacay for my family too :)

Posted by: itsallclear ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 07:56PM

I'm with all of you; I want to be cremated. I love the idea of being scattered somewhere (haven't decided on a spot yet) and then having something small created where family can feel comfortable going to remember me.

No funeral for me thanks! I like the idea of family and friends getting together to celebrate life, with a sitdown dinner or something a bit more casual. No prayers, no silly hymns, no religion.

Interestly enough, my TBM Mom has asked on several occassions that she be cremated.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2012 08:32PM

Just don't bury me in that rediculous temple getup!!

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 05:14PM

I am claustrophobic and so the idea of being put under the ground in a box still terrifies me.

When my time comes I am giving my body to Mayo Clinic where they can play around with my cadaver and have a few good laughs. After three months I will be cremated and then have my ashes scattered somewhere, hopefully in Brazil my beloved second country.

Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 05:28PM

Have my ashes tied to a weather balloon to be sent into space if I die before space travel becomes commonplace. Or have my a green funeral in the San Rafael Swell, or Hawaii ha.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:13PM

Yes. Here's the current plan:

Die the day before my health deteriorates to the point I can't take care of myself. Hopefully at about age 90, and while having hot monkey sex.

Then cremate me. No need to tie up some space forever just so my bones can rot there.

No funeral. If the family wants to get together, tell a few stories (both good and bad I would guess), eat some good food, and hopefully laugh, that would be great.

Scatter my ashes in the ocean at some beautiful spot. And that will be the end of me.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 08:43PM

Burial. Relatives need a place to go to for their own peace after losing someone. But cremation is fine for those who wish to be spread about. I would like to be near my relatives - in the same cemetery.

A friend of mine had a very hard time when his wife died of lung cancer and she never smoked. She gave her body to science. The kids and he had nowhere to go and it truly made him very sad. Still does to this day. I told him to plant a tree somewhere that he could access. I think he did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.