Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CNN watcher ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 05:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nwguy ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 05:31PM

I think it does a good job of presenting a balanced story and reflects several viewpoints. It definitely keeps the story alive out in the public realm.

Posted by: ParanormalActivity ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 05:56PM

WOW... FRONT PAGE CNN NEWS.

This is HUGE. You know if they go through with this and excommunicate him for what most reasonable minded people say is freedom of speech and expression, that will NOT bode well for the Cult of Mormon.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:01PM

The cojcolds timing is way off on this one. Don't they know that people are actually paying attention to them now?

Posted by: dec ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 07:44PM

lol.

and don't they know that the control they have over mormon members is non-existent in the real non-mormon world ?
They can't squash non-mormon opinions and that must make them steamed.

The other day I spoke to a very christian man about this "mormon moment" who claims that this recent news press is God's way of bringing the Mormon fraud to public attention. He claims that most Americans haven't known much about mormonism and this might bring the truth to their attention. He believes it's God-ordained to expose Mormonism at this time as a fraud.

Does anyone know any other christian voters with this opinion?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:00PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:51PM

Barlow are TBM's...

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:57PM

Yeah, you are kicking some big exmo - I mean nevermo ass!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:56PM

+1

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:06PM

The funniest thing about this article is MormonMike's comments. He is clearly not a Mormon but is posing as a Mormon and saying all kinds of TBM sounding gibberish to make Mormon's look bad.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:52PM

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:45PM

It just seems like every time they go down this road LDS, Inc. only multiplies its difficulties.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:47PM

This is awesome!

I love that Mormons are going to read the article and click on the mormonthink website. Most will quickly close it after they feel the evil spirit coming from the computer screen, but some of them will read on and things will get interesting.

Seriously guys, this 'mormon moment' has turned into the 'mormon disaster'.

I really hope Romney gets elected so this continues on.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:29PM

No, they will be 'inspired' to know that MT is an evil anti-mormon site...

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:54PM

CNN is now reporting on it.

So much for that line of attack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 06:55PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 07:15PM

I am glad to see than CNN didn't buy in to the notion that it had anything to do with Twede's political postings.

Date: September 24, 2012 07:19PM

I was in contact with Twede before, during and after the Daily Beast story broke, I know the both the basic and evolving dynamics at play. I have spoken with Jamie Reno, who is standing, along with his editors, behind their initial story. Jamie is a 20-year veteran in journalism, with 17 of those years at Newsweek. Theses folks are professionals. What you regard as "hype" is based on a lack of information on your part regarding how this whole matter developed in the first place and how it continues to develop. In other words, there is a lot you don't know.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 07:26PM by steve benson.

Date: September 24, 2012 08:07PM

I have no agenda, I'm certainly not defending the Mormon Church, I just don't buy that they would move against Twede over political opinions. Sorry

Date: September 24, 2012 08:11PM

Date: September 24, 2012 08:15PM

Date: September 24, 2012 08:15PM

draaaaa mmmaaaahhh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 08:17PM by SLDrone.

Date: September 24, 2012 08:22PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 08:23PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:19PM

But since it seems you can't actually share that information publicly, you can't expect us to just take your word for it.

Date: September 24, 2012 08:23PM

Sources sometimes ask for anonymity or provide information on background only. I have said that before and demonstrated that reality in previous posts on various topics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 08:26PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:28PM

I realize that it's out of respect for the individuals involved that you can't share all the details. But without that evidence, you can't expect us to just take your word for it that this is all about Romney.
It's happened before that I saw the same evidence as you and came to a different conclusion based on that evidence - which is why I'm double-checking everything you say from now on. You may very well be right, but without evidence, I'm not accepting anything just because you say so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 08:35PM by sexismyreligion.

Date: September 24, 2012 08:29PM

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:44PM

Was the issue ever just political opinions?

It was about the history of the Mormon Church and politics which is not the same thing as a political opinion.

sexyismyreligion:

"that this is all about Romney"

I don't think anyone is saying that it is ALL about Romney but you certainly can't ignore that part of it. Everything about Mormonism is going to affect Romney while he's running.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 06:58PM

Great news! I'll save the link and add it to my growing list. Yes indeed, what a wonderful Mormon "Moment" this is turning out to be ;)

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:00PM

Scott Gordon is wailing about the timing of "this" being suspicious when:

1. David came on to their radar as managing editor of MT after CoJCoLDS harassed, and eventually forced out, the last managing editor. He would have been vulnerable to discipline whether active or inactive. That David returned to church at that time is just incidental to his role at MT - which would not have occurred without CoJCoLDS initiating that sequence of events.

2. Scott Gordon alerted SLC when David raised his head. David was honestly blogging his return to church as a NOM. CoJCoLDS initiated the disciplinary activity against him.

All aspects of "Timing" have been controlled by CoJCoLDS.

Nobody, not even David who is supposed to be preparing his own defense, knows what exactly he is being disciplined for. What was the apostate belief or idea?

This is from the CoJCoLDS statement quoted in the CNN report:

"Every organization, whether religious or secular, must be able to define where its boundaries begin and end."

So WHERE is the boundary? WHAT line was crossed? WHAT was the TOPIC that was in error?

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:42PM

Scott Gordon is an extremely small fish in a an extremely small pond. Facing an eternity living in a backwater, where no one will do anything but ignore him. He is milking this for whatever he can get out of it...

I tend to believe Scott Gordon is carrying the flag for his morg masters who will, he hopes, elevate him out of nothingness to the highest of holies - a yearly contract to teach at YBU and a move to the morridor.

The church is using him. And he is either too dumb to realize it or incredibly naive in believing the church won't discard him when they are through with him...

This thing, whatever it is really about, is going poorly for the morg. It will, eventually, end badly. And Scott Gordon will be there to be the "John D. Lee" of this piece...

Date: September 24, 2012 08:06PM

Not everything David dealt with was on the Romney factor but for LDS apologists to ignore the fact that Twede explicitly included the subjects of Romney, LDS Church politics and the possible LDS doctrinal impact on a Romney presidency in the mix of blogs on various MormonThink topics (and to further insist that these topics had nothing to do with either the "apostasy" excommunication threat against Twede or its timing) is, frankly, absurd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 08:10PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Lettucegodown ( )
Date: September 24, 2012 08:34PM

I tried to leave a comment for @Kableme but it wouldn't post. He said something about missionaries not obfuscating information. I suggested he google "don't answer the question they asked, answer the question they should have asked." And, "some truths are not very useful."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.