Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 04:10PM

I was looking for the clip where Gordon is pressed about men becoming Gods. He says, "I don't know that we've ever taught that." I didn't imagine it, did I? I'm not sure if he was talking to Mike Wallace or Larry King.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 04:32PM

It seems to have been an interview with Times Magazine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 04:40PM by swiper.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 06:04PM

I've seen it on YouTube. I remember it being King.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 07:19PM

60 Minutes, I think--it gets posted quite frequently. I would imagine you could search "I don't know that we teach that" and get it to come up.

Or, someone friendly and more diligent in keeping tabs on those sorts of things could post it in this very thread!

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 07:29PM

It was Time Magazine, August 1997. But like someone said above, I also remember it being on Larry King as well. I could have sworn I saw the transcripts online somewhere, but it could have been the transcripts of the Time interview. I can no longer find either online.

Date: October 24, 2012 07:34PM

I searched "I don't know that we teach that" and it didn't come up. I searched GBH lies and the lies about polygammy and black people came up. Glad to hear that others remember it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 07:41PM

GBH was either lying or else suffering from a severe case of amnesia. I would think by the smirk on his face he was simply lying. After all, this is the same man who told me of his personal doubts of TSCC in the late 1970s and who bought documents from Hoffman to keep hidden. It all explains why he received no revelations.

Date: October 24, 2012 07:45PM

No revelations is probably because of no God to dole them out, but that's just my atheism coming out.

Posted by: beggie123 ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 03:56PM

I remember watching him on Larry King and I remember him saying that, and sort of winking at the (mormon) audience. I looked at the transcript online and I couldn't find it in there. If anyone knows, I would also like to see it.

Date: October 26, 2012 03:58PM

It was a sickening smirk, wasn't it? He was saying, "I can lie my head off and get away with it."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 04:26PM

I found it here. YouTube, Larry King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsBFlcjE-8

Date: October 26, 2012 05:03PM

This clip is only about polygammy. I know I saw the one where he lies and says "I don't know that we've taught that." I think I'll have to settle for a GBH Gangnam style dance--if only.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 04:56PM

Drat ...I was hoping this thread was going to be about someone making a clip of GBH dancing Gangnam style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 04:56PM by spanner.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 05:17PM

Gordon Hinckley's comment about "I do not know that we teach that" was made to the print media. Aug 4, 1997

Gordon Hinckley's most notable stupid quips to Larry King have been

"(polygamy) I think it is not doctrinal"
"there's no such thing as a Mormon fundamentalist!"

emphatically trying to distance the LDS church from its polygamy "that's 118 years ago! " -between 1890 and 1998.
made much more funny by the attempted MORmON joke in the MORmON Movie " The Work and the Glory" that made fun of people from Missouri for not being able to do math.
Making fun of stupid people is FUN! just ask MORmONS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZn_fXBwtg

LKL Sep 8 1998
and the entire interview really.

"we never speak negatively of other churches" LKL

Hinckley's really stupid comments to Mike Wallace were

"Dont pay attention to those little flicks of history"

"we're not a weird people" CBS 60 Minutes AP 1996

"Jesus Smith" to Tom Brokaw during 2002 winter Olympics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

Of course Gordon B.S. "Magoo" Hinckley said a lot of stupid stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramUzgLLHho

(as did Joseph Smith)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8aNf-lNh-g

including insulting his own volunteers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeAB36UkYtc

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 07:00PM by lucky.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 01:28AM

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 02:39AM

Interview with German reporter during SLC Olympics
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2987383235452303450

Gordon was lying through his pouting-baby lips the entire interview and punctuated the lies with his cluelessly condescending comments. What a charmless jacka$$.

At the 6:12 mark his answer to the reporter's question about why it took so long for people of color to receive the priesthood is "I don't know! I don't know! I can only say that. But it's here now." What a seer! What a revelator!

Not related to your specific question, but worth watching:
At the 11:44 mark, he talks about TSCC finances. Just a tad defensive. IMO, Gordon's biggest, fattest lie is at the 13:58 mark when asked about TSCC's failure to publish its budget; he says to the reporter, "That information belongs to those who made the contribution and not to the world. That's the only thing. Yes."

Did any of you who made contributions ever see the financial documents? I didn't. Gordon is a liar, liar pants on fire, but he does it so seamlessly...as if he's had A LOT of practice lying.

Too bad Gordon didn't live long enough to coach Willard Mitt to be a more believable and convincing liar.

Posted by: hypnometal ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 12:12AM

I've heard a lot about this interview in Time Magazine where he denied teaching that we become Gods. However, I distinctly remember him being interviewed by Tom Brokaw where he was asked "Do you believe you can become a god?" And he just smiled and said "Yes!" This was right before the 2002 Olympics. (I've been trying to find that clip, too, without success.)

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 02:26AM

Pretty sure it was a Mike Wallace interview, and he did indeed say exactly that. It was the impetus for a fair number of members to exit the church.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:14PM

"I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it. I haven't heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don't know. I don't know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it, but I don't know a lot about it, and I don't think others know a lot about it."

http://lds-mormon.com/time.shtml

Smith stated that God was once a humanlike being who had a wife and in fact still has a body of "flesh and bones." Mormons also believe that men, in a process known as deification, may become God-like. Lorenzo Snow, an early President and Prophet, famously aphorized, "As man is now, God once was; as God now is, man may become." Mormonism excludes original sin, whose expiation most Christians understand as Christ's great gift to humankind in dying on the Cross.

Here is the actual quote:
Q: There are some significant differences in your beliefs. For instance, don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?
A: I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Now that's more of a couplet than anything else.

Wow. That's a pretty heavy quote. Appears as though Pres. Hinckley is trying to distance himself from the teachings of Joseph Smith:
"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!...........It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God........yea, that God himself, the father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible...." (from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith and History of the Church, 6:302-17)

And many others since then. Here are just a few...

"He [God] is our Father--the Father of our spirits, and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being. It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being;" (Brigham Young in the Journal of Discourses, v. 7, p. 333)

"The Gods who dwell in the Heaven...have been redeemed from the grave in a world which existed before the foundations of this earth were laid. They and the Heavenly body which they now inhabit were once in a fallen state....they were exalted also, from fallen men to Celestial Gods to inhabit their Heaven forever and ever." (Apostle Orson Pratt in The Seer, page 23)

"You and I--what helpless creatures are we! Such limited power we have, and how little can we control the wind and the waves and the storms! We remember the numerous scriptures which, concentrated in a single line, were stated by a former prophet, Lorenzo Snow: 'As man is, God once was; and as God is, man may become.'" (President Spencer W. Kimball in "Our Great Potential" from the April 1977 Priesthood Session of General Conference)

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:30PM

My favorite gbh "ism".

http://www.i4m.com/think/leaders/Hinckley_dontknow.htm

The Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, in his own words...

president hinckley: "Now we are at war. Great forces have been mobilized and will continue to be. Political alliances are being forged. We do not know how long this conflict will last. We do not know what it will cost in lives and treasure. We do not know the manner in which it will be carried out. It could impact the work of the Church in various ways."

"No one knows how long it will last. No one knows precisely where it will be fought. No one knows what it may entail before it is over. We have launched an undertaking the size and nature of which we cannot see at this time."

"I do not know what the future holds. I do not wish to sound negative, but I wish to remind you of the warnings of scripture and the teachings of the prophets which we have had constantly before us."

"Now, I do not wish to be an alarmist. I do not wish to be a prophet of doom. I am optimistic. I do not believe the time is here when an all-consuming calamity will overtake us. I earnestly pray that it may not. There is so much of the Lord’s work yet to be done. We, and our children after us, must do it. I can assure you that we who are responsible for the management of the affairs of the Church will be prudent and careful as we have tried to be in the past. The tithes of the Church are sacred."
- The Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, “The Times in Which We Live,” October 2001 General Conference (Ensign, Nov. 2001, Page 72)

ya know, for a prophet, he sure says don't know a lot.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:50PM

foundoubt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite gbh "ism".

My favorite is this nugget from General Conference in 1994 -

"On the other hand, the whole design of the gospel is to lead us onward and upward to greater achievement, even, eventually, to godhood. This great possibility was enunciated by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the King Follet sermon (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-62); and emphasized by President Lorenzo Snow. It is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become!"

- Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, General Conference, October 1994

Things must have changed by 1997 though with this exerpt from Time magazine -

Question: "Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?"

Hinckley: "I don't know that we teach it. I don't know that we emphasize it. I haven't heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don't know. I don't know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don't know a lot about it and I don't know that others know a lot about it."

- Interviewing Gordon B. Hinckley, Time Magazine, Aug. 4, 1997

Date: August 15, 2015 12:32PM

All that grand, scary speech culminates with...The tithes of the church are sacred. All that blah blah blah...and...pay up.

Date: August 15, 2015 12:43PM

I really need to get more sleep. Posts to threads I've commented on show up in my email. I've been reading and enjoying the posts and links without realizing it was my thread from 2012. GBH was a phenomenal liar and BSer.

Thanks for the links and comments. The church systematically gaslights all it's members, but especially those who expect some measure of consistency and integrity from the leaders. Those who see through the haze are deemed evil. The honest truth seekers are evil. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 12:44PM by Dorothy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.