Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:06PM

Wanted to express gratitude to the mods for there work in trying to keep politics off this board. Seems as if there is a sticky at the top saying it's a rule. But rules aren't for everyone...

Hopefully people can go back to discussing recovery. Helping those who are trying to find there way out.

In my mind politics and religion tend to bring out the same black and white thinking.

Again thanks to the mods for all the time and work in keeping this board for it's intended purpose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:12PM

When a Mormon runs for president it's NEWS.

Of course people will comment when a delusional cult seeks to advance a candidate.
It would be no different if Tom Cruise ran .

I'm actually surprised Romney got as far as he did.
The press treated his 'religion' quite gingerly, considering that anyone who took the time to educate themselves on Mormonism would have seen it for what it really is.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:28PM

I agree.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:14PM

Do you not find Mormons and the Mormon church political?

I would like to thank you for honestly answering and recognizing that recovery for some deals with having to sort through being a political target of Mormons and the Mormon church.

If your concern is that your politics are aligned closely to faithful Mormons, perhaps that's appropriate for RfM too.

You are right though, this I not a political forum. I've know about RfM for six years. Rarely visited and didn't sign up until 9/11/2012. Mormon politics just triggered my need to communicate with others my emotions and thoughts. RfM seemed like the best place.

I am rarely black and white in my politics due to Mormonism, I am also able to sympathize while disagreeing. These are good things I have learned from exiting Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 01:16PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:16PM

Just wait til noon! There's a new stickie up there...

Date: November 07, 2012 02:03PM

The mods are awesome. Like trying to heard cats here some days.

Thanks to them for the job they do.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:31PM

Two things.

1. A Mormon was nominated for the President of the United States. The line between mormonism and politics was blurred, and many topics that seemed political were also relevant to mormonism, and vice versa.

2. If you haven't noticed by now, the people on this forum aren't the best at following the rules. :)

Date: November 07, 2012 02:02PM

I don't vote, left the church at 15. Found this message board when my children were growing up around Mormons, to protect them from being sucked in.

My parents didn't terrorize me about church. Still don't. But since that is the religion my father chose at 16, it is waht my family is.
My siblings have been more dividing about it. My kids have freedom of thought and don't want it to spread to there's.

But my relationship with my parents is good, we respect each other's beliefs.

I was taught it is rude to ask people how they voted, how much money they make, things like that. And was not taught any kind of class envy, just work on yourself and do your best. But watched my parents go out of there way to help any one that needed it no matter what. Even to the point of undermining there own needs. My DH always has said your parents are Mormons, just good people who belong to that church. So possibly my experience is rare.

Politics tends to remind me of organized relgion. Take alot of your money and the citizens dont hold them accoutable. So much talk on here about the church putting out finacial reports. Why don't citizens ask for the same.

So i suppose alot of folks here have issues with seeing a man who reminds them of a church leader who they felt victimized by. That I can understand I have PTSD from an abusive marriage in my 20's.

Just in general hope we as exx-mormons can continue to help those daring to jump into the real world. I don;t however feel it is my job to try to get people to leave there beliefs.

Best thing about today. People might stop babbling about it everywhere. But's that just me.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:52PM

If it's not improper to ask, are AKA 'BearsandGreens'? On other secular forums?

Date: November 07, 2012 07:48PM

No I have same handle on both ex-mo boards. I adore coffee. Always have.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:12PM

It wasn't class envy that lost Mitt the presidency. Many candidates on both sides are rich, no problem.

But he was just too strange and arrogant, out of his league in the modern day political realities of America.

I also think that his party needs to stop presenting candidates who are too unyielding and too far into weird religions.
Our country needs/wants people who can work well with others and who are willing to work for the common good - not just make special interests richer.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:13PM

The original post sounds like a passive-aggressive way of telling people to shut up about Romney. If you think it shouldn't be here, report it. If you report it and they leave it up, it must be OK. You don't need to start yet another thread about what people should and shouldn't talk about - but I won't tell you not to. :)

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:20PM

recovering from kolobianism also entails a shift in their political views.

so I'm not sure it's even appropriate to exclude politics from this board, as it can be a vital piece in the recovering process.

pay no attention to the elephant in the corner.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:31PM

Or is it a DONKEY in the corner????

Dun

Dun

DUUUUUUUUUUNNN!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:35PM

+1

I have concern for RfM homosexuals and politics and Mormonism. If individuals have an issue discussing this since it involves politics how do we meet their needs in this community. Perhaps there are people on RfM who still agree with Mormonism on homosexuality, or are happy to have Mormon politics succeed if it meets their needs too.

The Mormon church is political. If it weren't a no politics policy would be more clear. I think it is the moderators forum and they can censor as they please.

I would find it a shame to not to be able to discuss corrupt Mormon politicians because it is political. It really isn't, it is less about politics and more about institutional evil. The GOP just happens to be the clear political flavor of choice for TBMs.

My personal concern is the Mormon church claiming tax free status and operating like a business while allowing tithe payers to get tax deductions for their payments. That's a Mormon church subsidy I want to go away or have quantified by open books. It acts like a private business, but clearly is abusing our tax code. I want to see the books on their charitable use of tithes. This is a key issue.

I will restate from a previous discussion.

The Mormon church has made two major changes, one doctrinal one bureaucratic because of concern about its' political and financial relationship with the US government.

Polygamy and priesthood. Perhaps recovering Mormons can redress some of their issues with the Mormon church through political activity. Can others see the value in that? I even think it would be interesting to see if lay clergy asking sexual questions of 18 year-olds and under could be forbidden easily through several state legislators. I am confident we could find a Californian who would sponsor such a bill. Would that be a good thing to help with recovery? I think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 02:37PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:55PM

It's party politics in particular that is not allowed here. I used to deeply regret that too, as I am so interested in that and also see that most things do relate to Mormonism, if only as useful parallels and metaphors.

But. Sus I/S explained that discussing politics inevitably leads to arguments and bad feelings and tends to take over as the preeminent topic of discussion, drowning out other issues. That type of discussion, she said, has other boards where you can specifically discuss politics ad infinitum. Here, the emphasis is on "recovery". It doesn't help that goal if posters tangle with each other over party politics and bad feelings ensue.

There is some leeway - if a political issue directly relates to Mormonism (like Prop 8) and the person who starts a thread relates their post directly to the Mormon Church, it's allowed. You have to get the slant right, though - a direct tie-in with the church - or else your thread will get nuked. This is why you see some threads about, say, Prop 8, stay and some disappear - if the latter was too directly political and not sufficiently and directly related to Mormonism.

It's a fine line and a tough one to see and follow sometimes but there is method in the madness, as they say. After all these years, Sus et al know how the board works best. I've seen that on every issue I've queried Sus about, in particular the injunction against political discussion, I end up seeing that her way works out for the best, for the good of the board and all who post on her. :)

Date: November 07, 2012 02:36PM

I am an atheist who doesn't vote.

Just suppose I didn't have the same experience leaving the church as far as family goes and have always thought for myself.

So never felt lied to or taken advantage of.

So my sympathies to those who felt this way seeing somone running for election that took them back there.

I get like that when I see a drunk man yeeling at his wife or making an ass out of himslef in general. Lucky for me I can avoid it.

Date: November 07, 2012 02:45PM

Naomi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The original post sounds like a passive-aggressive
> way of telling people to shut up about Romney. If
> you think it shouldn't be here, report it. If you
> report it and they leave it up, it must be OK. You
> don't need to start yet another thread about what
> people should and shouldn't talk about - but I
> won't tell you not to. :)

I don;t care what people talk about anywhere. I know how to click the X in the corner, turn off the TV.

My oldest is Bi, middle drug addict,(voted for O), youngest intellectual atheist. College graduate going for masters.

What I did teach them all was how to think not what. And that it is not my journey on this planet it is there's. Mine is my own. But I am willing to get out of the way as an aging boomer and let them have there time in the sun.

I was raised with nothing as was my DH. He is brilliant with numbers and we have a good life. In my opinion it's not my business what others have.

I am always happy when election day is over. No matter who is running.

My post was intended to say thanks to the mods and hope they can get some free time back now.
One of my biggest issues is holding back what I think. Not trying to say soemthing without saying it.

Again thanks to the mods for allowing a bunch of people they don;t know to be here and keep such an active board.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:57PM

Thought the same thing, Naomi. It may have been a different poster but a few months ago, a poster who had been active for a while and then left decided to come back to participate and posted about all the political threads and how much lower the quality of people posting here NOW are than when s/he was here before. It was a post full of passive-aggressive, rude, arrogant, aggressive slams on the posters here.

The poster was complaining that people who came here needed to talk about recovering from Mormonism--as if there was a proscribed checklist for recovering from Mormonism that works for everyone--and should have a safe political-free environment.

Others have covered much better than I could the obvious connection between politics and TSCC, especially with a royal-Mormon priesthood holder who sounded like a GA every time he opened his mouth and used many of the same dishonest tactics TSCC uses on its members. The line was gray when talking about Romney...admin could and did sort that out. How could that poster expect the lesser-quality-posters to attain her superior level of posting.

The delicious, glaring irony that the poster who came back missed was that his/her pious, angelic "protection" of newbies from discussions of politics fell flat in light of her announcement that those very same people were not up to snuff, well, you know, HER high quality, superior snuff anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 03:00PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Date: November 07, 2012 03:05PM

Wasn't me.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:18PM

I agree and I deeply appreciate the good work RfM does to help us recover.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 07:54PM

I think it a good idea to give us a day to get it out of our system.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.