Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kojac ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 04:44AM

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/24/war-on-men/

What in the name of all that is holy, and un-holy for that matter, is this clap trap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smith ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 09:05AM

I thinking that this must have been written by Boyd K Packer, but I was wrong. Maybe someone might use this article as a talk at church!

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 02:05PM

Consider the source.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 02:32PM

I just wasted 90 seconds of my life reading that tripe. It scares me that this woman believes her own writing.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 03:06PM

What in the world is Suzanne Venker doing writing books and having a career??? She should get back in the home and bake cookies and have babies!!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 03:28PM

Well... its nothing if not honest. Here's an article from the "blame women" side of the isle that says basically nothing but, "blame women."

I don't think she has ever considered that maybe women also LIKE things this way. She just assumes that all women are like her, and want to be married, stay at home moms, with like 7 or 8 kids, who pamper their hard-working husbands when they get home from their big, strong man-job. I'm no woman, but I think she's actually be in the minority on this issue.

Posted by: tumbo ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 09:39PM

This must be satire... right?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 09:43PM

That is the worst article I've ever read. No one but Faux News would have published such ill-supported claptrap. The author needs to buddy up with Dr. Laura and write a follow-up to Fascinating Womanhood or something.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 09:45PM

Ummmmmmmmmkay...

Nice to see the 1950s alive and well.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 09:53PM

Articles like these love to assume that society changes as a block and that everyone is in lockstep with some new trend. No one thinks like this.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 10:15PM

I did a wee google on the author (Suzanne Venker) of that tripe. Guess who her aunt is?

(wait for it...)

Phyllis Schlafly.

:gagging sounds:

Nuff said!

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 11:09PM

ROFL! That explains it!

Too bad they're related; she and Andy would make a lovely couple.:D

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 11:18PM

Oh, god.

Seriously? :::gag:::

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 10:18PM

I don't understand what the big deal is. I read this earlier in the day because it was on Facebook.

I am no feminist but I am not stuck in the 1950s either. I do think there is a....reversal of sorts in the gender gap. Men are made into villains or at least made to look.... simple in the media today. It happens in sitcoms and ad campaigns.

I think the author is offering a suggestion for some of the reason that men are not wanting to get married. I am sure it is not the whole problem but it is part of it.

She does say that women should submit to their femininity, which according to Facebook is where a lot of the criticism over her article lies. What would that mean? It doesn't have to mean that a woman goes back to being barefoot in the kitchen. I think it would mean really loving men. Letting a man take care of them a little.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: November 27, 2012 10:24PM

The only point she has right is: society has changed.

A large portion of men are still raised with the message that they will be responsible for taking care of their wife financially. A large portion of women, on the other hand, are being raised to be independent. Basically, they are raised with different expectations and it's causing a disconnect.

I see it more as the fact that our individual and societal values have changed and a lot of people haven't (or choose not to) caught up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.