Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: afterthought ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 09:41PM

My very tbm sister was given a patriarchal blessing that she would find a wonderful husband and have many children. Guess what she is still single and is now too old to have children. I highly doubt she will ever get married. Of course everyone has put a spin on this and now say the blessing never came true because the Patriarch must have meant the millenium. Oh brother! Must force square peg into circle hole!

Second story is of a woman in my ward growing up who was dying of late stage breast cancer. The Stake President gave her a "miraculous" blessing that she would live to see her young preteen boys go on missions. Ironically a few months later the cancer progressed and she lost her sight. Soon after that she died. This happened years before her sons ever served missions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msvegafromcali ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 01:54AM

Mine said i would have great health my whole life and that was soooooo wrong!! I've had health problems since birth. I always thought i would get better because i was told it was predicated on my righteousness. What a bunch of crap that was!!!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 02:04AM

In mine, the patriarch had an "out." He ended by saying that "all my blessings are contingent on my being obedient to JC & the gospel plan." (owtte)

So, if the stuff didn't happen, I'm to blame.

Again.

Posted by: msvegafromcali ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 02:20AM

Ohh forgot another thing that blessing said,,,,, that i would have many children. I could barely have 2. They are 14 years apart!!! I was too sick! I tore that stupid blessing up!!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 02:33AM

My false piece of sh1t blessing said that I would become a great leader of men. Too bad I have an anxiety disorder that keeps me housebound. How could that dumbass have known?

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 05:47PM

I have found your posts poigent and dryly humerous. I understand why some people need to stay home because they are anxious when they go out. At least you get to interact with the board here. What you suffered was horrible, but when you share it, it raises the ability of others to see behind the corners of people they meet. Maybe some have been saved from worse abuse because people knew what they were looking at was abuse, because you described it here.

"leader of men" no I'm not defending the PB, but we lead every day just by being. Thank you for being on the board. Your wit and insights are a sharp and a welcome addition.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:32PM

As you have guessed, this board is a lifeline to ex-mormon shut-ins. I need an outlet for my thoughts just as much as any gregarious person. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 02:49AM

I just witnessed a blessing that came true. Why did it come true? I don't believe for a second that it's because of the "faithfulness" of the members that requested it. I'm sorry but this guy just needed to live longer. That's it. I feel like he'll be gone within the next 6 months but that's not because of any mormon "prophecy" it just is what it is. He's a great guy that is going to die soon. What's funny is that he has said this himself. He has no illusions about himself being "saved" or living beyond where he's already been. He's just really a nice guy that knows he's going to die soon. He's too smart to clue in his TBM relatives to the truth though. Nice guy, I wish him the best because he accomplished a lot during his lifetime but was always too proud to tell people about it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 10:53AM

Warning: Woman problems described below, for anyone squeamish about talking about them.

My Patriarchal Blessing said that I would marry in the temple. I suppose TBMs would argue that I left the Church, but yeah, I didn't do that officially until I was 50.

The biggest blessing fail for me was when I was diagnosed at the age of 30 with developing uterine cancer. They wanted to do a hysterectomy at that time.

But, I received several blessings, from different Priesthood holders, who all said the same thing. "You will be healed. You will bear children." A few actually said, "many children."

I believed those blessings, especially since the promises came from multiple Priesthood holders and so I told the doctors that I couldn't possibly have a hysterectomy. I asked if there was another way to deal with the problem.

I had three D&Cs (not the scriptural kind) in a year and a half, and I was put on hormone pills, which made me gain 20 lbs. I eventually underwent surgery to remove a tumour the size of a grapefruit, and I also had a few ovarian cysts removed at that time. But I still wouldn't let them do a hysterectomy because my blessings were still assuring me that I would be absolutely cured.

Finally, after 14 years of being put through so much, the doctors said, "Now is the time. We're doing that hysterectomy. You can't wait any longer." They actually scheduled the surgery for a few weeks away. They weren't kidding. They meant to do it right away.

But by this point, I was about to turn 44 (while I was in the hospital actually) and was mentally and emotionally ready to give up on the idea of getting married and having children.

I was left wondering how so many Priesthood holders could be wrong.

It makes me angry now, thinking about how I could have put my life in danger because the all-mighty Priesthood holders kept assuring me that all would be well.

Years later, my doctor said to me, "You had a tumour, pre-uterine cancer, endometriosis and ovarian cysts. The chances that you could ever have had children were little to none."

Maybe many of us who do end up escaping Mormonism just had experiences like mine, where we had to question, "Hey, what about this?" one time too many. The shelf where we placed unexplained things finally broke, which allowed our escape.

When TBMs say to me, "I've just experienced too many miracles. I cannot deny them. I KNOW it's true." I say, "Funny, I had exactly the opposite experience, where nothing was ever coming true. It seems that every time I begged for relief or help for my testimony, I was met by silence." They never know what to say to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 10:56AM by Greyfort.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 10:59AM

of bullsh*t. I lived by my PB and it is the reason I gave up the guy I wanted to marry at age 20. I didn't read the PB again for years until my daughter went TBM on me and got her PB. Now why was mine so much longer and detailed than her's? Anyway--I reread it. I based my life on that thing and it was completely wrong.

The only blessings I ever received were when I was trying to decide what to do about my gay boyfriend. I've said it before--I hated bothering the bishop (and he and my boyfriend were the only 2 who knew)--so I'd wait and wait and fast and pray and starve myself to death fasting--and I'd finally ask for another blessing--usually 3 to 6 months apart. I just KNEW I'd get my answers THIS TIME. Every single time--a stupor of thought. NOTHING.

Then when I was deciding to marry him, a good friend of mine gave me a blessing and promised me he would never leave me. I was sure he would leave me at age 38--but I was promised otherwise (and not just by this guy). He left me at age 38.

I never had ANY special feelings over blessings I received.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 11:04AM

how terribly, awfully cruel that those phood leaders gave you painful false hope for so very long. I'm so sorry you were put through this torture.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 26. Lucky for me, I guess, I started having babies at 19 and had three. My OB/GYN was LDS but spent his early career in the Marines so was able to give me direct, honest information so I didn't kid myself about the seriousness of my condition (precancerous disease of my uterus). I will be forever grateful to him.

BUT even with all that, I still had trouble agreeing to the surgery because my PB promised I would be mother to many children.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 12:10PM

Why would they come true? They are so generic and watered down as to apply to anyone? Why ask why? I know why, they are false Priesthoods and frauds practicing a ritual based on a fraud.

They are silly! My horoscope the other day didn't come true either, should I just give it more time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 07:19PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 07:12PM

When I was a relatively newly ordained elder a couple of years out of high school, a guy I had known in school was in a bad farming accident that did some serious damage to his arm. I went with an older priesthood leader to the hospital to give him a blessing (I forget why I was involved, because I didn't know the guy all that well, and he wasn't even in my ward).

Anyway, the older P-holder asked me to pronounce the blessing. I was of course very flattered to be asked to exercise my authority, and we laid our hands on his head. I truly felt the Spirit, and I was inspired to promise him by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood that his arm would be healed.

It was amputated a few days later.

I tried not to think about that. And I tried not to run into the guy for years.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 07:30PM

The patriarch's wife, who was "taking dictation" while her patriarch husband performed my blessing, misspelled the name Jesus. It came to me in the mail with that misspelling. Oh brother...

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 07:49PM

I received my Patriarchal Blessing in a very strange way. My in-laws were visiting from Hawaii and we went to a stake function. My father-in-law tracked down the Patriarch and told him to give me a blessing. The guy had this pissed look on his face but he took me in a room and , I don't exactly remember how it went, but when I got the written copy it was very short and the most I can remember is You will prosper if you follow my priesthood holder. Little did he know my priesthood holder was cheating on me and didn't believe in the church or God. Still laugh when I think of it. Father in law later went back to the Hawaiian church where his wife was a minister.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:51PM

No priesthood blessing or patriarchal blessing has ever failed. The only failure was the recipient's lack of faith upon which the blessing was predicated.

That's how magic works.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 09:21PM

My mother went in to the hospital/ICU. Bishop came and gave her a blessing. Told her she would get better and it wasn't her time to go because she had a lot of work to do bring her children back into the church as well as the rest of her never-mo family.

She dropped dead six weeks later.

It's all good. He got a bit more tithing out of her.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 01:13PM

Hi board this post was resurrected from 2012 by ‘Lou” above here in the same Sunday trick to put their Mormon beliefs into posts. Be aware!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.