Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 06:24PM

It is of great concern to all who understand this glorious concept that Satan and his cohorts are using scientific arguments and nefarious propaganda to lure women away from their primary responsibilities as wives, mothers, and homemakers. We hear so much about emancipation, independence, sexual liberation, birth control, abortion, and other insidious propaganda belittling the role of motherhood, all of which is Satan's way of destroying woman, the home and the family--the basic unit of society.
Pres. N. Eldon Tanner (Gen Conf Oct 1973)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Janny ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 06:33PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:15AM

Yes thank goodness

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 06:34PM

Life would be so much better for men if we women would just stay in our place.

gag

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 06:54PM

In my generation, which was somewhere around the time of this quote, Mormon families had 5 kids. Now that my generation is having kids, Mormon families have 3 kids.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 11:16PM

You can't have successful families without solid individuals. Messed up individuals make messed up families.

Mormonism stupidly believes there's only one model for a successful family -- and that everyone should create a family, whether they want to or not, whether they're good at it or not.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 08:39AM

Best statement I've read on RFM in a long time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 11:23PM

SOME European countries REWARD ppl for having children.
In a matter of demographics, the U.S. birth rate is in a TAILSPIN; we may soon go Below the replacement rate (especially caucasians, if that matters).

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:31PM

Date: January 04, 2013 01:53PM

That women should be pregnancy-slaves to keep the population up?
It's rather obvious that women who are more educated and free will control their fertility, and that means a low birthrate.
It's obvious that when free people choose, they choose NOT to have many children.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 11:55PM

"No child can be enslaved without the consent of its mother. A mother fighting for her children is the most determined of foes. And a mother who believes that she and her children have no other destiny than slavery will tremblingly teach her babies the very values that the enslavers demand.

"So the enslavers hoped that generation after generation of children would file docilely and unquestioningly into their assigned drudgeries. In this way, the pyramid of wealthy empire could be held aloft by slave labor, with a minimum of effort and coercion from the enslavers themselves.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:36AM

Gag I used to be proud that that guy was Canadian.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:41AM

The pill really messes with a woman's body. I would go with a condom, but they fail sometimes.

I don't know many TBM's that stopped at 3 kids. I guess it is just depends on who you know.

Birth control should never carry any moral or ethical dilemma. You wanna have sex and no kids, that's great.

Insitutions that lay guilt on people who use birth control should stop. It's not fair, cuz everybody wants to have sex, it makes the world go around.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 03:18AM

the pill is not nearly as dangerous as childbirth.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 06:32AM

+ 1000

Oh, the stories I could tell. Even as a TBM, I couldn't stand how flippant women were about pregnancy and childbirth.

Date: January 04, 2013 08:38AM

A few years back I was stuck at a traffic light next to a church. Some adults had given their little kids signs to hold saying "Abortion Hurts Women." It was all I could do to not jump out of my car and yell at the adults for exploiting kids. I also wanted to explain the stupidity of their signs. Childbirth hurts women, too. Hell, it used to be the leading cause of early death for women and still would be if we didn't dump a crapload of medical knowhow and a mountain of money into making problem pregnancies and childbirths turn out "normal." Having a child you don't want hurts women, and the child. Having more children than they can support keeps women trapped and/or can lead to mental, behavioral and physical problems for mothers and children. And so on.

Oh, but just because having a herd of kids worked out (at least on the surface) for some sanctimonious nitwits, they believe EVERYONE should do the same. Bite me.

Date: January 04, 2013 01:55PM

It killed my great-grandmother.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:20PM

Mine, too. When I was tbm the bishop's wife had 6 or 7 c-sections. Were they insane?

Date: January 04, 2013 08:23AM

frankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know many TBM's that stopped at 3 kids.

I was one of 6 children.

One brother had four kids. Three of them had three kids, one had five.

Another brother had four kids. One had three, one had six and two had two.

One sister had 11 children. None of them have had more than four.

Another sister had 9 kids. None of them have had more than three.

Another sister had four and, so far, none have had more than two.

And I've intentionally had none.

So, for the most part, each generation in my family is having smaller families. The last stats I saw show Mormons having only one child more per family than the national average. And the fact the brethren are pounding the get-married-and-start-having-kids-early-and-often drum suggests they're worried about a declining LDS birth rate.

Date: January 04, 2013 01:54PM

because it normalizes our hormonal balance.
It keeps a lot of women healthy and out of SURGERY.

Posted by: Flwrbird ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:47PM

Agreed. I need to be on the pill so I'm always a productive member of society, not just three weeks out of the four of my cycle.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 04:51PM

This is why I got a vasectomy. We didn't want to accidentally have any kids. I didn't want any more kids at all. It was the option with the best success rate and the lest health risks.

The options for birth control on the female side are either more risky for their health, or not very effective.

I think we men really need to take the onus for pregnancy for those reasons.

Posted by: spanner unlogged ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 06:37PM

Modern birth control is safe easy and effective. There are a wide range from pills to implants to inter-uterine systems.

My IUS is fantastic (mirena). Nothing to remember, no hormonal swings or weight gain/loss, no periods (which relieves endometriosis and reduces the risk of uterine cancer and other related "women's problems). I couldn't imagine going back to a monthly "cycle'. My only regret is that it was not available back when I was in the military.

Date: January 04, 2013 07:09PM

Sadly the rabid Right To Lifers consider things like Mirena to be the same as abortion.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 08:17AM

1. The white non-hispanic net reproduction rate has been below that needed to replace the prior generation for many years and actual declines in population are standard throughout Europe.
2. Even in 1957, the peak of the baby boom of the 1950s the birth rate of college educated women, Presbyterians, and non-Orthodox Jews failed to be sufficient for reproduction in the United States. Ironically, the birth rates were especially low among graduates of the finest colleges.
3. LDS statistics relating to baby blessings have long indicated a sharp decline and the TSCC non-hispanic birth rate is essentially barely at that required for a non-declining population.
4. As early as the mid-1980s, I heard people in the DC temple talking about how in their local wards it was becoming not only the norm to have only two children but there were pressures to so limit one's family - this being from wards in the mid-west.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 08:19AM by rhgc.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:28PM

Nothing ironic about that at all. That is what I would expect.

What is your point in posting this tripe? Sounds like you're trying to build a case for Hitler's Lebensborn program.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:19AM

I am so glad I never listened to such nonsense and only had two kids. Pregnancy was very hard on me and I went into a severe depression after my first one. With my second, I had to fight my damn TBM husband tooth and nail to take the smallest dose of an antidepressent in the third trimester so I wouldn't relapse. It worked. After that I had a tubal ligation. Best surgery in the world.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:04PM

That's why women need 15 old white business men to tell them what to do.
If it weren't for them, women would just be unmanageable.
</sarcasm>

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:55PM

Joseph F. Smith, June 1917, Relief Society Magazine

"I regret, I think it is a crying evil, that there should exist a sentiment or a feeling among any members of the church to curtail the birth of their children.

I think that it is a crime wherever it occurs, where husband and wife are in possession of health and vigor and are free from impurities that would be entailed upon their posterity.

I believe that where people undertake to curtail or prevent the birth of their children that they are going to reap disappointment by and by.

I have no hesitancy in saying that I believe this is one of the greatest crimes of the world today, this evil practice."

In 1947 David O. McKay gave a talk in General Conference in which he quoted extensively from Brigham Young. McKay prefaced one of his quotes from Brigham Young with these words: "Those pioneers condemned the artificial means of limiting the number of children in the family, a growing evil, not only throughout the United States but also here in our own settlements. Said the great leader: (and here is the quote from Brigham Young): "To check the increase of our race has its advocates among the influential and powerful circles of society in our nation and in other nations. The unnatural style of living, the extensive use of narcotics, the attempts to destroy and dry up the fountains of life are fast destroying the American element of the nation."

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:11PM

I thought women's bodies have ways of taking care of things like that. Did I miss something?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.