Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:40AM

More than 200 Mormon missionaries ill after virus hits Provo MTC

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55566345-78/missionaries-mtc-health-madigan.html.csp

Didn't anyone tell them not to eat from a buffet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 04, 2013 09:41AM

"Sick individuals are being treated by skilled doctors and are receiving the best care available," Trotter said in a statement.

The best care available, you nay-sayers.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:31AM

Note that the Church's spokesman on diarrhea is Scott Trotter.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:24AM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:51AM

Apparently it's norovirus, which is extremely hard to eradicate once it gets into a closed environment like the MTC. As new kids come into the MTC, they will be exposed and get sick in wave after wave. The MTC's leadership needs to get on this and get the place cleaned up or they'll be putting hundreds (or thousands) of people through needless illness and trauma.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:59AM

Use their mighty priesthood powers to heal the building and its occupants, or rely on the arm of flesh and deal with it the same way the corrupt gentiles would?

Date: January 04, 2013 10:08AM

I think that they'll do nothing for as long as possible. Then, when they get national publicity or a class-action lawsuit, they'll do whatever is cheapest.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:25AM

The missionaries can wake up an hour earlier in the morning. Armed with toothbrushes and spritz bottles, they can spit shine that building in no time.
And more importantly, at no cost.

Date: January 04, 2013 10:27AM

Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't give them any ideas! You know the COB monitors this place! They'd be all over that plan.

Date: January 04, 2013 09:55AM

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:30AM

Lol! Symptoms of the Spirit.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:05AM

ROTFLMFAO

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:19AM

But those 'skilled doctors' must be doing something special for the missionaries. Probably the best places to rest, the best water, the best aspirinn and the best Immodium. Nothing but the best.

Date: January 04, 2013 10:30AM

Oops, nothing's available right now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:33AM

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:34AM

I knew several people who have worked in the MTC and there is ALWAYS some outbreak or other going on this time of year.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:11PM

Yes. It was really bad the summer of 2009. That's when they instituted the "drop off at the curb" family good-byes.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:44AM

Sounds like the bug around here. Hits 80-90% of all persons. The epidemic is even hitting the courthouse. DW was sick all Christmas week. Of eleven in the household 10 have been/are sick, leaving only yours truly not down yet. If this is the same bug, the MTC will have at least a thousand cases at the same time! Big problem at the MTC is that they will have to delay classes and not let anyone new in for at least three weeks. The epidemic here reminds me of the Asian Flu of 1957.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:34AM

The senior's nursing home in my community has been closed to outside visitors twice this winter because of Norovirus. And in the local schools, the one I teach at included, there have been lots of absences due to it. So far, I'm home free (there, now I've jinxed it...)

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:34AM

Understatement of the decade:

"It’s a very contained population," Madigan said. "They, frankly, don’t get out much."

Date: January 04, 2013 11:46AM

Wow. Norovirus. They need help. Norovirus is a fecal-borne illness that is so powerful that a drop of an infected person's emises, no matter out of which end, can become aerosol and infect a circle of people around them, since fewer than 20 virus particles can infect a person.

For those who don't mind grossness, you may read on: "Transmission through fecal-oral can be aerosolized when those stricken with the illness vomit and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present; infection can follow eating food or breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up. The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection."

As a state-certified busy-body, I felt it necessary to write to the MTC with advice on how to beat the disease, suggesting that missionaries be allowed to stake out areas on the premises outdoors where they can either vomit or defecate to their hearts' content, thus preventing the illness from swirling around in the stale air of the facility and infecting others. Any outbreaks among the area residents due to the missionaries' use of the outdoors would be justified in that it would be very likely that those infected community residents had been party to objecting to the church's project to build the high-rise MTC, and therefore had it coming.

Realizing that the church is a charity operation, I did not ask for remuneration for my professional advisory services.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:53AM

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:04AM

To continue the grossness....

Because someone who has had Norovirus can continue to shed the virus for at least thirty days, and because the virus has been observed in studies to remain infective on surfaces well beyond three weeks, you pretty much have to bleach down bathroom and kitchen surfaces in your home regularly and continue to be vigilant about hand washing for at least a month after the someone in your family has had the illness.

The only things that kill Norovirus are bleach and heat.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:00PM

How can this happen? This is the one and only twoo training camp in the heart of Zion for "God's Army"...

Posted by: Gazelam ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:16PM

All those serial masturbators are being visited with a sore affliction a.k.a. diarrhea. Nothing guilt-trips, witch-hunts, and a couple of bottles of olive oil can't solve.

Posted by: Cymorg ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:25PM

Wait a minute, norovirus happens on cruises. lol

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:29PM

I remember back in late 1996 I came to the MTC and they had implemented a temporary ban on shaking hands. To avoid passing around the cold/flu we were to bump elbows if we felt a need to have a physical greeting.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 08:52PM

I sure hope they have a paid janitorial staff at the MTC and don't just make the mishes in training do all the cleaning.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:04PM

Oh the joy of those who get assigned to clean chapels on the local level!

You are sure to be exposed to the Norovirus sometime during your "volunteer" service lol.

Isn't it marvellous, isn't it wonderful?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:39PM

gawd, that's so true. Why do I feel pleasure knowing this? I suppose I must be pretty small-minded.

I don't wish illness on anyone, but poor Mo robots are walking right in to a public health risk with their eyes wide shut.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:06PM

One time at Army training in 1999 in Bluffdale everyone got crabs - thats right, pubic lice. That was the best mass casualty medical care ever witnessed in the state of UT. 500 25 year olds all scrubbing their cock n balls together in communal showers together. Trotter lies and exaggerates. Goddamn lying church.

Posted by: nealster ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:54PM

There has been a norovirus epidemic here in the North of England this past few weeks. Seems like it's now gone pandemic. Quick! Stock up of food storage, the end of days has begun!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:15AM

Hummm, norovirus,forced janitorial services. How many wards will have to call off all meetings to eradicate this illness.

One of my siblings entire family (8 out of 10) has this virus this week. I wonder if any were involved in cleaning the church. I'll have to ask them.

I'm pretty sure none of them have been to the MTC lately.

Posted by: Yup ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:31AM

Signs of the true believers in Mark of the NT: "and if they shall drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them ..."

Maybe the church should send the sick home for not being true believers.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 02:48AM

in that building so many sick bodies around, I wonder were they put them all. I have never been in the MTC so I don't know how many occupants per bedroom, It has to smell bad. Is there healthy people taking care of them. Thoses health care workers will certainly get this virus and give it to their families a never ending chain...

The church needs to spend the money and put the sick in a hospital to control the spread of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.