Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 07:47PM

They still can't find her,

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865570353/Search-resumes-for-missing-Herriman-girl-Brooklyn-Gittins-Thursday-morning.html

She's only 13 too. No sign or forced entry into the home and she disappeared in the night without even her glasses...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 07:54PM

The article said that she has run away from home in the past. I wonder why?

Date: January 10, 2013 08:59PM

That's what I was thinking too. They really played it off, saying she was "just upset." But who knows what's really going on. I hope she's not being abused at home. The fact that she left without her glasses really concerns me, I wonder if she was abducted by someone familiar to her (hence the no signs of a breakin)

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 09:08PM

Even though they're mormons, I still feel sorry for all of them, and I hope they find the girl.

If the girl is feeling the need to run away from home, whether it's to do with religion, or something completely different, hopefully her parents can work out how to make her feel more welcome in her own home in the future, if they're lucky enough to ever see her again.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 10:00PM

It pretty much sucks. Hormones going nutty, too old for some things and not old enough for others. I hope she is safe.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:10AM

The main reason girls run away from home is abuse.
Red flags always go up when I hear "stepfather'.

Posted by: wendy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:49AM

I hope she's alive.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:52AM

I have a child the same age and between following the story of missing 13yo Dylan Redwine in CO and now this young lady....ugh, it just makes me sick to think about what could have possibly happened. I really hope they find her. It's been almost 2 months since Dylan went missing and still no leads whatsoever. Very sad

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:06AM

I hope she is okay and dosen't run into someone who will harm her. It is really weird

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 09:15AM

She has been found at a Wal Mart. She called her grandmother, the grandmother called police, who I think went and picked her up at the same Wal Mart she called grandma from.

3 days later, and she was still shoeless and wearing the same clothes?

I can think of one or two good reasons that I, as a teenage girl would flee out my bedroom window wothout shoes or eyeglasses--one might be to go meet a boyfriend. Another might be to avoid the molester who keeps coming into my bedroom in the middle of the night when I'm asleep.

She may have issues (Heck, what 13 yr old does not? I used to be one myself and was a wreck at that age), but I m thinking we're gonna hear a longrunning, sad and tragic tale, regardless of what she was up to that night.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:08PM

When I heard she was still in the same pajamas I was at first relieved then it changed to even more concern. I'm not as optimistic as you about getting the rest of the story.

Date: January 11, 2013 06:28PM

" Another might be to avoid the molester who keeps coming into my bedroom in the middle of the night when I'm asleep."

My thoughts exactly! Seriously, who would run out in the night without even their glasses, slippers, coat... There is a lot more to this story than what's being reported on. I hope she's not going to be labeled a "delinquent child" by the state now, that's what happened to my friend who ran away to escape abuse at home. The police labeled her and forced her to either stay home with her abuser (who they believed in stead of her) or face juvy.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 04:17PM

According to the Tribune ,they think someone picked her up and harbored her. Seems she left on her own although they didn't give details

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 06:38PM

She may have run off with an older "boyfriend," or someone she thinks of in that way. Whoever it is, they're in hot water. A 13 year old is not legally capable of making a decision to leave with someone like that. It's basically kidnapping even if she consented.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 06:38PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 07:58PM

I'm gratified that she's been found! These things too often end tragically. I also hope she can learn from the experience. Kids this age often don't seem to have developed enough sense to know what's dangerous and what's good for them.

Even if the circumstances of her little adventure were not in themselves of bad intent, just being alone and wandering around that way could attract someone else who does have bad ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 07:59PM by rationalguy.

Date: January 11, 2013 09:52PM

Not to mention the worry and cost of the search

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 10:49AM

Why not her parents? At least her mother?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:07AM

She might be scared that Mom and Dad are pissed and going through Grandma is the safer bet...Grandma is going to be the far less stressful option..

My take on the story is that she went out to meet a boyfriend and as time progressed she was scared to come home...It does not sound like she is cooperating with the cops or they would be releasing a description of the suspect....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 11:14AM by whiskeytango.

Date: January 12, 2013 04:04PM

That was the impression I got.As for calling her grandmother, grandmothers are generally softer touches than parents.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.