Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 12:52PM

There's a new show on the History channel called Brainwashed.
There was a very good episode on Scientology.
I decided to tape the series as I'm fascinated with religious brainwashing out of a personal need to learn and grow from my own experiences.

Today I watched a new episode that focuses on a Mormon woman who moved to Utah to meet her dream man. She had a dream about a man who was her eternal companion. Imagine her surprise when she met him at a church dance.

He claimed he was an atheist and she thought she'd convert him. In one swoop she embarrasses both mormons and atheists as only a brainwashed mormon woman could do.
He claimed to be the prophet who would re-edit the book of mormon, and she fell for it.
Oh my, that's where it got nasty.
He was a conman who zoned in on gullible mormon women.
It struck me that her ego appealed to her desire to be this prophets wife. She became a hooker to support him. I mean, who does that! Such was her gullibility combined with her massive ego that led to her nightmare situation.

They are an easy target for people like this.

The lack of association between this alleged prophet and Joseph Smith and lds prophets was noticeable.

She was willing to believe in Joseph Smith and mormon prophets even though the similarities to this guy who duped her were overwhelming.

It was a very sad situation as I saw her easily manipulated by both the mormon fraudulent prophets and this uber fraud conman.

The biggest impact was her ego masquerading as a sweet woman who wanted to obey. Testimony = ego.
I wonder how many mormon hooks are actually ego inducing devises?

Has anyone watched this episode?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 12:56PM by joan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 01:02PM

but I'm not finding the show on history.com or by googling. Do you know where to find it online?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 03:22PM

I found it on the Discovery Channel. (Discovery channel, History channel... same thing. I'd mix them up too. ;>))

It's actually a show called "Curiosity" and the fourth episode in season two was titled, "Brainwashed."

Linky:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/season-2-episodes3.htm

FAQs for that episode:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/brainwashed-episode4-faq.htm

Date: January 30, 2013 05:26PM

The show you linked to is about an experiment in brainwashing people to become assassins.

Turns out the show the OP is referring to is on History Canada:

http://www.history.ca/brainwashed/video/full+episodes/predator+prophet/video.html?v=2328653638#brainwashed/video/full+episodes

Alas, I get "not available in your country." :'(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:30PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 05:32PM

That's really close to the title of the show I posted about below called "Dangerous Persuasions: Prophet or Predator?" that's on tonight. I wonder if Discovery ID in the USA and History Canada are sharing the same shows but re-packaging it under another name in the U.S.

It also had the previous episode about Scientology, so it might be the same series.

Date: January 30, 2013 05:37PM

I hope they put the full episode online, 'cause I don't have TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:38PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 31, 2013 10:20AM

Durn Canada. :<(

Posted by: paulbot ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 03:51PM

If you really like this subject then watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdkivIk1NiY

This is gold. It is around an hour total. Derren Brown, the Heist

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 04:21PM

Was Hitler in it? If it doesn't have Hitler in it it can't possibly be on the History Channel.....

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 04:24PM

Sure it can. As long as it has aliens..

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: January 31, 2013 10:23AM

all WWII, all the time.

nowadays, if it happened yesterday it's history by their thinking.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 05:04PM

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 05:06PM

If you like shows like this, there's one on Discovery ID called "Dangerous Persuasions."

There's an episode tonight (01/30/2013) called "Prophet or Predator?"

Episode description:
"An ex-Mormon sociopath posing as a prophet masterminds a plan to deceive, defraud, and exploit a single Mormon mother after she rejects him and his attempts to break her faith. He takes Christine as a spiritual wife, coerces her to separate from her children and submit to his cruel tests, resulting in a nightmare of deception and danger."

There was an episode a few weeks ago called
"Scientology: My Eternal Contract" that I highly recommend. As I was watching it, I'd think, "Why would they let Scientology dictate THAT?" and immediately thought, "The same reason Mormons let TheBrethren intrude in and interfere with members' lives, so shuddup and don't judge." On my cable system, it's not listed for a repeat showing yet, but Discovery ID re-runs episodes fairly often.

Episode description:
A Scientologist goes undercover at the direction of church leaders to spy on her church's enemies in the premiere of this documentary series profiling ordinary people who were subjected to extreme psychological manipulation.

Another series on Discovery ID is "Who the Bleep Did I Marry?" that they re-run regularly. They had an episode about Mark Hofmann that was very interesting. There's a common denominator (maybe a few of them) the women share that these predatory guys marry. They don't ask questions. I wonder where Sister Hofmann learned not to question her priesthood-holder husband's authority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:06PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 05:18PM

> An ex-Mormon sociopath

Oh. Did he ever post here, I wonder?

Date: January 31, 2013 01:19PM

Dangerous Persuasions Episode: "Prophet or Predator?"

Wow this was great, if you have not seen it do. I think we know who Adam is. This poor divorced woman had sex outside of marriage and confessed to her Bishop who then excommunicated her and she was shunned for 2 years. She freaked out because she was going to lose her family in the afterlife and spent 2 years being shunned before she was able to get back in. Then at a LDS singles event she meets a man who claims to be the new prophet who has translated the lost portion of the book of Mormon. She marries him and he turns her into a prostitute for god.

Yes she is totally naïve but this guy is very similar to Mr. Smith. The church gave her no support and probably started this by excommunicating her when she originally sought guidance from her bishop. This was the most unchristian thing they could do.

She was set up for this by being influenced by a church that focuses on Feeling the Spirit” vs. rational thought and investigation.

It is on Sat at 9am again

http://christinemarie.org/tag/prophet-or-predator/

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 31, 2013 01:21PM

I don't know that we teach that.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: January 31, 2013 02:12PM

I was really tired and kept telling myself "Go to bed!" but I couldn't tear myself away. Just when I thought she'd finally come to her senses, she'd get in deeper.

I loved where the con man was quoted as saying he targeted Mormon women because they're so desperate. Granted, there's no lack of gullible non-Mormons, male and female, and plenty of Mormon women would have bailed out as soon as he claimed to be a prophet, but this woman -- !

Believing in stupid things makes you to do stupid things.

Posted by: Never Mo In Florida ( )
Date: January 31, 2013 02:19PM

I recorded and just watched the show on ID Discovery Dangerous Persuasions: Prophet or Predator. It was disturbing. It demonstrates how the sick thinking and teaching of the LDS church can make women vulnerable to psychopaths like this "Adam."

Even more disturbing is that the man is still out there preying on people. I was able to figure out who he is through a google search.

Date: February 01, 2013 02:10PM

Surrender Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you like shows like this, there's one on
> Discovery ID called "Dangerous Persuasions."
>
> There's an episode tonight (01/30/2013) called
> "Prophet or Predator?"
>
> Episode description:
> "An ex-Mormon sociopath posing as a prophet
> masterminds a plan to deceive, defraud, and
> exploit a single Mormon mother after she rejects
> him and his attempts to break her faith. He takes
> Christine as a spiritual wife, coerces her to
> separate from her children and submit to his cruel
> tests, resulting in a nightmare of deception and
> danger."
>
>.

Yes SD, that's the same show.
I didn't realize they repackage and rename shows for the Canadian history channel.
I can't remember who posted the comment that they think they know who this Adam guy is?
Yeah, I wonder if he's posted here.
Quite the con artist.
The women in Utah who are gullible to praise Smith should take care who they date and who they worship. Adam is opportunistic and these women are easy targets.
Poor Christine, I wonder if she's still devoted to Smith or if she finally gets it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 02:11PM by joan.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: February 01, 2013 03:42PM

Someone posted the whole video on youtube today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6H2Vslca4

My wife and & started to watch it, but we couldn't get into it. Too painful to watch right now.

Date: February 01, 2013 04:02PM

I mean awesome that it's on YouTube, not awesome that it's painful for you and your wife. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 04:10PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: newcatholic ( )
Date: February 01, 2013 03:59PM

I watched it - creepy. It was like bringing JS into the here and now - you get to see how predatory and sick he really was.

Date: February 01, 2013 05:27PM

That's some story, really illustrates how Mormonism sets us up to believe crazy things.

Despite this story being A LOT crazier than mine, I was struck--as I invariably am, with these personality-disordered scumbags--by similarities to the scumbag who abused and nearly ruined me. It really is like they're all one guy.

I have to say, though, I'm doubting a couple aspects of Christine Marie's story:

1) Being excommunicated for fornication--in Michigan, in 1998, when she was all contrite and repentant and not married at the time. I don't think this would happen, unless the bishop was a fanatic. She did say he said he'd had a revelation from God.

2) Deciding not to file a police complaint because one investigator told her if it went to trial, a jury would just say, "Hey, you believed him." I'm familiar with jackass cops not wanting to pursue a petty criminal. That happened to me, too, but with me it was a different type of crime with the potential to become a very serious felony, and they would have pursued it had the felony circumstances materialized. I'm having a hard time believing that even in SLC, with a Mormon cop not wanting to embarrass the church, that they wouldn't want to go after this guy who probably had a very long record, who had stolen so much money from this one woman and pimped her out, too, and was still out there ... unless he was still in jail, about to be convicted for something big. She doesn't say anything else about the investigator or what happened to the scumbag.

I'm also doubting that she'd just accept the answer and not pursue it any further. I wanted to hunt down the POS who got me and watch him die, for a lot less than what "Adam" did to Christine Marie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 05:33PM by munchybotaz.

Date: February 01, 2013 05:47PM

her daughter is posting here

http://www.reellifewithjane.com/2013/01/prophet-or-predator-investigation-discovery-mormon-sex-trafficking/#comment-18419

"I would try not to speak out so aggressively on matters you aren’t informed about. Christine happens to be my mother. We were practicing members of the Mormon church. Her and my father were married in the temple, my brothers and I were all baptized at the age of 8, we attended church and went to every LDS event wherever we lived. This man met my mother at a Mormon singles’ dance. I am no longer a member of the church, and neither is she, but we were in no way associated with Fundamentalists or any fringe groups. The fact is this DID happen – to a woman whose biggest flaw was trusting others too much. He may not have been condoned by her bishop, but a con artist and predator manipulated a devout Mormon woman through her faith – along with many other Mormon women. If that makes you uncomfortable, I’m sorry for that."

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 01, 2013 05:47PM

I kept wanting to slap some sense into the woman. How naive can one person be? I wouldn't have bought that guy in full TBM mode at the age of 12.

Date: February 01, 2013 06:23PM

even as a believing Mormon, if I had ever been one. Then again, I'm from Utah and aware of these Mormon fringe characters. And it's easy to say when we don't have the particular set of beliefs and desires that Christine Marie had. Like I said on one of the Manti Te'o threads, a person can only make decisions based on their knowledge and experience. Along comes something outside of that, driven by an unscrupulous person who sees your weaknesses and manages to tap into your deepest desires, and ... BAM! Suckah.

Date: February 02, 2013 03:30PM

I always questioned everything and didn't like rules that made no sense. That is probably why I left. I know there are Mormons who are pretty gullible but i don't know anyone quite this bad.

Date: February 02, 2013 04:36PM

and whoever thinks it can't happen to them should just be glad and hope they never meet the person who, in that perfect storm, is capable of fooling them. I learned that the hard way. Nothing like being taken down a peg or two!

Date: February 02, 2013 04:41PM

I could buy into some other stupid thing, but I just can't see myself buying that story. It just isn't in me. In the right circumstances, I might do something else stupid though.

Date: February 01, 2013 06:03PM

The man that conned her is Christopher Nemelka. He convinced Ida Smith that he is the reincarnation of Hyrum Smith.

Date: February 01, 2013 06:16PM

I wondered while watching if it was the "sealed portion" guy. And he is not in prison ... why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 06:32PM by munchybotaz.

Date: February 01, 2013 06:56PM

I don't understand why he's not in prison. He should be under the prison.

Date: February 01, 2013 11:56PM

Date: February 02, 2013 03:21PM

I didn't realize Christine isn't mormon anymore.
I'm happy to hear that she has possibly made the association between conman Smith and conman Adam.

I wondered if Adam is Nemalka. He has a certain attractive quality. She said she dreamed about him before she met him. That's REALLY creepy! How does that work!
It would be great if someone could explain this.

Doesn't it indicate that a persons dreams or feelings don't mean something is good, true or right for us. This would mean that a persons testimony doesn't mean its true.
I know a lot of people who trust their dreams and feelings to guide them.

This is a cautionary tale.

I heard about a person who had a dream about JS before they heard about him. When they heard about him they recognized the person and joined, became tbm and eventually discovered it was a fraud and left mormonism.

I'm curious because I had a similar experience although not as scarey as Christines by any means. I was pimped out mentally, emotionally and physically to the JS as a missionary and a member - but it didn't involve sex in the extreme type of pimping Christine experienced with the fake prophet Adam.

My family were not mormons but my dad kept all his books and one was a book of mormon someone gave his mom, who then gave it to my dad who loved old religious books.
By this time it was a very old bookand I liked the look of it. Like my dad I was interested in books and researching religion. When I was 18 I put the book on the top shelf of my closet, tucked behind stuff, thinking I'd read it. It was a weird place to put a book and I had never put a book on the top shelf of my clothes closet before or since. A few weeks later the sister missionaries knocked on my door and talked about the bom. I remembered I had recently put the book on my closet shelf with the idea of reading it and told them to wait a minute and I came back holding this very old BoM. They said it was a sign etc. (maybe it was a sign that I should have left it on the shelf lol).

How can a person have a dream about a guy; whether it's JS, or this Adam character, and in Christines case believe this man is to be her husband only to find out he's a conman.

After reading the link someone offered from her daughter I feel badly for saying Christine had a big ego. I think I had a huge ego too and it seems that many who have a rabid testimony confuse an ego for humility and obedience.
It scares me because I wonder if I would have accepted that dream as truth just like she did. I accepted my experience of the book of mormon as an indication that it was good and from God because that's how I was told to interpret the experience by the mormons. I thought I was special (ego) for having this experience and the sisters said I was golden - it was all an ego boost.

Date: February 02, 2013 03:44PM

That's what I thought the show said.

Back in the day when I still believed in souls, I used to dream about a blonde guy who really loved me, but we would always get separated and I would spend the rest of the dream trying to get back to him. I thought he might be a real guy, somewhere. Dreambotaz hasn't seen him in ... oh, about almost exactly 15 years, since real-life botaz met the skanky scumbag who taught her about soulmates and the universe and stuff.

I had a dream about him, too, before I even really knew what he looked like, that we had first *mated* in the year 1732. I believed that even for a while after he came to Colorado and showed me his real skanky scumbag self.

So I can relate to Christine Marie as far as the dream goes. She wanted Nemelka to be the guy in the dream, and he was. What she may or may not have since figured out is that the guy in the dream was her very own invention and never existed anywhere outside of her brain. I hope she doesn't still think she was supposed to meet that creep and everything he did to her.

If I had met someone who reminded me of the elusive blonde guy in my dreams, I'd have been smitten or at least very interested.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 04:07PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 04:43PM

an Atheist claiming to be a prophet ?

That doesn't make any sense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.