Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:02PM

I had a hard time liking anything. Even when I believed I found anything written by a GA to be fluff.

But at one point I guess I liked:

1. The New Testament (still do in a lot of ways)

2. Anything by Avraham Gileadi (especially his Isaiah: A New Translation)

3. Doctrinal New Testament Commentary (McConkie)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:07PM

I read the non-religious articles of the "Friend."

I did the same thing with the "New Era."

Then I started throwing them away.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:17PM

1. Pearl of Great Price - because I thought it the most Mormon and thus the most "precious" of the scriptures.

2. Joseph Fielding Smith's 5 vol. Answers to Gospel Questions - because the questions he addressed were my own questions. That the questions he addressed where the same questions I naturally wondered about vis-a-vis Mormonism made me feel smart. But I didn't feel too too smart because Smith's answers often didn't satisfy me. Of course at the time I believed this my own short-coming rather than Smith's.

3. Jesus the Christ - because I was told that Talmage was friends with Einstein and that he was as smart as Einstein and so I believed everything he wrote was true. Again, that I didn't completely understand it or agree with it I chalked up as my own short-coming rather than Talmage's or "the church's".

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:13PM

Isn't it amazing how you always thought there was something wrong with YOU? It was never the lame-o author or that the material was never really up to speed.

It is really hard to think of any Morg reading material that kept my attention.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:16PM

Other than the NT, I didn't really care much for church books and we didn't have a lot at home. Even as a teen, I found them simplistic and dumbed down. I did like Jesus the Christ although I can't say I was overly impressed with it either. I was a big reader, but I can't say I read many church books although I thumbed through some when I was baby sitting for TBMS.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:27PM

... much less three.

That's not to say I didn't read any. Just can't consider stuff like the BoM a "favorite' under any circumstances.

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.