Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 02:41PM

In the process of leaving Mormonism and learning to empower myself, I gave myself permission to further developed my natural personality -- "what you see is what you get" - with no fear of recriminations!

I have learned I can orchestrate and set the parameters and tone for any visitor (Mormons included) in my home through my attitude, body language, a twinkle in my eye, welcoming smile and direct eye contact.

The result? It's my home, they are guests, they automatically comply (almost always) with my carefully set boundaries for acceptable discussion and behavior. The only exception was a gentleman who had a minor stroke.

If for some reason, they are non-compliant, they are clearly, and politely told to stop what they are doing. Then I wait for compliance, which is speedy! Sometimes non verbal cues work best with a smile or humor.

I will also use any method that works best, in the case of unacceptable behavior from Mormon visitors, to stop the visits. In one case, believing hubby made a call, told them we were moving and shut them down. It worked!

That phone call (must have hit the Mormon grapevine!) resulted in an ex bishop coming by on his way home from work a week or so later, riding his bike ( in his tight fitting biking shorts!!), etc, with his usual huge smile, to tell me how much he'd miss us and give me a very polite -- hug, then another hug. Then I lost count of the very-polite hugs! (Well, of course they would miss us, we held a bunch of "callings.")

Interestingly, the next time I ran into him and his wife, I didn't even get one hug! ;-)

Yup. I love Mormons! I still chuckle!

He is the one that married our youngest daughter over 18 years ago, in a wedding she produced: decorated chapel, with an organ processional, video, etc. classy, decorated reception hall (barely recognizable!) with a DJ, dancing and delicious food, and an off the shoulder dress she designed and made! Made all the bridesmaid dresses too! Her wedding dress lasted, the marriage didn't! Oh well! There are no more of those grand chapel weddings either! Too bad too!

I like Mormons as a general rule. After all, I used to be one, as one of my friends is fond of saying ! Then she laughs!

Life is too short to not enjoy every minute of it, if at all possible. That includes the Mormons I know ..and the one I love and will defend to the death!

(I posted this not realizing he had only a few years left to live. Now I am adjusting to living alone and enjoying my own company and remembering the good times, the funny times, the special times..etc...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.